GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Star Trek Episode

That's the episode- "Loud as a Whisper"- and that's the ambassador.

Feel free to add a few details if you want-you covered enough for the answer.

(A little more information wouldn't hurt, however.)

In that case:

The ambassador was mute and had three other people connected to his mind so he could communicate through them. It was kind of weird because they were a sort of interpreters to him, but there wasn't any external signs of their communication.

He was supposed to mediate in a treaty of some sort.

Deanna had some interest on the guy... or it was him having an interest in Deanna?

At one point of the episode, the three chorus people were killed, letting Riva having troubles communicating and feeling that he couldn't work anymore.

By the end of the episode he was left on a planet, teaching the two parties involved in the treaty negotiations sign language. That way, they would be able to understand Riva, and at the same time they would be involved in a process of learning something together and learning more about each other too.

And that's as much as I remember from the episode.

BTW, anyone can take the turn and post quotes.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since no one else took the chance and I had a bit of time to search for quotes...

"A lot of people don't want to be around the sick. It reminds them of their own mortality."

"It doesn't bother you?"

"Sometimes... but I think I'd rather confront mortality than hide from it. When you make someone well, it's like you're chasing Death off, making him wait for another day."

"But Death comes to everyone in the end."

"Not to Kukalaka."

"Kuka-who?"

"My first patient. A teddy bear."

"What's that?"

"Sort of a soft puppet, stuffed with wadded cotton. When I was a boy, I took him everywhere I went. After a few years, he started to get a little threadbare, until one day his leg tore open and his insides spilled out and made a mess. My mother was all set to throw him out, but I wouldn't have it. At the tender age of five, I performed my first surgery. I re- stuffed him, and stitched his leg closed. From then on, I did whatever it took to keep Kukalaka together. I must've sewn, stitched or patched every square inch of him."

"Why were you so determined to keep him in one piece?"

"I wouldn't be much of a doctor if I gave up on a patient, would I?"

"Where's Kukalaka now?"

"Some closet somewhere... ... ... On a shelf in my room..."

Since the doctor was a boy once, that eliminates NG and Voyager. I doubt Phlox would have had a toy bear, and McCoy never talked about his childhood, it must be DS9.

I'm going to guess that it's the episode where Maj. Kira's boyfriend needs repeated brain surgeries, becoming more and more robotic, and less and less human, until Bashir convinces her to "pull the plug," so to speak.

George

It is DS9, but not the episode you mentioned.

--------------------

"A lot of people don't want to be around the sick. It reminds them of their own mortality."

"It doesn't bother you?"

"Sometimes... but I think I'd rather confront mortality than hide from it. When you make someone well, it's like you're chasing Death off, making him wait for another day."

"Not to Kukalaka."

"Kuka-who?"

"What's that?"

"Sort of a soft puppet, stuffed with wadded cotton. When I was a boy, I took him everywhere I went. After a few years, he started to get a little threadbare, until one day his leg tore open and his insides spilled out and made a mess. My mother was all set to throw him out, but I wouldn't have it. At the tender age of five, I performed my first surgery. I re- stuffed him, and stitched his leg closed. From then on, I did whatever it took to keep Kukalaka together. I must've sewn, stitched or patched every square inch of him."

"Where's Kukalaka now?"

"The Blight will take him in the end."

"I thought you let people come to you... I didn't realize you made house calls."

"I was concerned that she might be too weak to come."

"I don't understand why you're so obsessed with death, Trevean. From what I've seen, you've lived with the Blight longer than anyone else."

"Yes... and I've seen more suffering than anyone else."

Edited by Maddy

It is DS9, but not the episode you mentioned.

--------------------

"It doesn't bother you?"

"Not to Kukalaka."

"Kuka-who?"

"What's that?"

"Where's Kukalaka now?"

Ok, I'm certain this was Bashir, talking about his teddy bear. We even saw the teddy bear in a later episode.

"The Blight will take him in the end."

"I thought you let people come to you... I didn't realize you made house calls."

"I was concerned that she might be too weak to come."

"I don't understand why you're so obsessed with death, Trevean. From what I've seen, you've lived with the Blight longer than anyone else."

"Yes... and I've seen more suffering than anyone else."

Ok.

I think this was when Bashir was travelling-probably with O'Brien because whenever I can't name the

additional character for sure, it seems to be Miles- through the Gamma Quadrant, and found a planet

with an illness that the Dominion inflicted on them. Bashir was unable to completely end the illness-

but he WAS able to find a way to make sure their children wouldn't inherit it (the disease seemed to

alter their genes from before birth).

You're correct! :eusa_clap:

Dax is the one having more time with Bashir in this episode, but I think Kira and O'Brien are part of the group in the Gamma Quadrant when they found the planet. :)

And you're right too in that we do see Kukalaka in a later episode. :)

Your turn, WordWolf.

BTW, there's something strange about "Loud as a Whisper" which I

forgot to mention. If you see the episode, the problem is Riva's chorus

is killed. If you read the script, the device he uses to broadcast to them

is damaged in an unspecified way. That would have been too easily

correctible. (If for no other reason but that anyone who relies so completely

on an external device will carry a spare.)

"What was his name?"

"What?"

"If you were really there, you should be able to tell us the name of the man outside the walls."

"What kind of question is that?"

"Describe him to us. What was he wearing? How tall was he? What color were his eyes?"

"TORVA LUK DO SHELL!"

"He had no explanation at all?"

"Not a word. He just got dressed and then reported for duty as if nothing had happened."

Other than this is not an original series episode, I can't narrow it down at all.

George

Good-I thought it might have been too easy.

Then again, which lines stick with each of us can vary widely.

"What was his name?"

"What?"

"If you were really there, you should be able to tell us the name of the man outside the walls."

"Describe him to us. What was he wearing? How tall was he? What color were his eyes?"

"TORVA LUK DO SHELL!"

"Not a word. He just got dressed and then reported for duty as if nothing had happened."

"I hope you find what you're looking for, Mister Worf.

Because the next time you set foot on this ship I expect you to carry out your duties like a Starfleet officer."

"Have we heard from Worf?"

"No. All communication with Boreth has been cut off since yesterday."

"What is wrong? Is there only anger and bloodlust in your souls? Is that all that is left in the Klingon heart?

We do not fight merely to spill blood, but to enrich the spirit."

Okay. Was this the NG episode where Worf has visions of Kahless, and goes to a Klingon holy place to check it out. "Kahless" does appear, but he's actually a clone, and so has no actual memories of events attributed to Kahless.

George

Correct! The episode name is "Rightful Heir."

Worf actually was SEEKING a vision of Kahless, and not finding one-eventually finding "Kahless".

"What was his name?"

"What?"

"Kahless" had just told a story about a warrior he'd met, who refused to seek shelter from a storm. Instead,

he would stand outside, and "make the wind respect me." The next day, they found him dead.

"The wind does not respect a fool."

He tried to use this story to intimidate Gortok, but Gortok asked for details-

what was his name? What did he look like?

But the clone only knew the details of the LEGEND, what he was PROGRAMMED with.

"TORVA LUK DO SHELL!"

Worf-and others- said this while enduring hardship and seeking a vision of Kahless.

Worf had an incident in his quarters as he sought a vision, but never explained to Riker what was

going on.

"I hope you find what you're looking for, Mister Worf.

Because the next time you set foot on this ship I expect you to carry out your duties like a Starfleet officer."

Picard grants Worf a leave of absence, and demands he finish his quest.

"Have we heard from Worf?"

"No. All communication with Boreth has been cut off since yesterday."

Boreth was where Worf was seeking his vision-where they look for Kahless' return.

"What is wrong? Is there only anger and bloodlust in your souls? Is that all that is left in the Klingon heart?

We do not fight merely to spill blood, but to enrich the spirit."

"Kahless" began to fight with Worf, but stopped the fight, and began a fine Klingon oratory about the meaning

of the Klingon heart.

Your turn!

"Acting captain's personal log, stardate 54277.3. My first day in command has been challenging, but I've loved every minute of it. I can't help feeling that this was something I was born to do."

"I scanned you."

"You scanned me?"

"In the Jeffries tube. Your blood pressure and neurotransmitter readings indicated a state of arousal."

"It was hot!"

George

"If you're going to be a starship officer, you've got to accept that adversity comes with the job."

"You're not doctors, are you?"

"Acting captain's personal log, stardate 54277.3. My first day in command has been challenging, but I've loved every minute of it. I can't help feeling that this was something I was born to do."

"I scanned you."

"You scanned me?"

"In the Jeffries tube. Your blood pressure and neurotransmitter readings indicated a state of arousal."

"It was hot!"

George

"Acting captain's personal log, stardate 54282.5. Final entry. New cloaking systems are being installed in other Kraylor ships, so I guess the mission was a success. Still, I wish I felt better about it."

"There is a malfunction in one of the ship's systems -- its captain."

"You have always been Captain Proton and I have always been Buster Kinkade."

"If you're going to be a starship officer, you've got to accept that adversity comes with the job."

"I scanned you."

"You scanned me?"

"It was hot!"

George

I've run out of googled quotes, so this one's from memory.

"You're upset because this mission didn't go the way you expected it to."

"They said they needed my help!"

"They still do."

"Acting captain's personal log, stardate 54282.5. Final entry. New cloaking systems are being installed in other Kraylor ships, so I guess the mission was a success. Still, I wish I felt better about it."

"I scanned you."

"You scanned me?"

"It was hot!"

George

Again, from memory:

"This would be my first command."

"You've been in command of Voyager."

"Sure, on the night shift. And if anything would go wrong, you or Commander Chakotay would always be there to take over."

"You're upset because this mission didn't go the way you expected it to."

"They said they needed my help!"

"They still do."

"I scanned you."

"You scanned me?"

"It was hot!"

George

You're probably right.

It was "Nightingale." Harry, Neelix, and Seven (in the Delta Flyer) come to the aid of a Kraylor ship, whose crew had mostly been killed in an attack. Claiming to be a medical vessel transporting needed medicine to their homeworld, the Kraylor ask Harry for help. Although the Prime Directive supposedly would keep them from involving themselves in a war, the humanitarian nature of the mission allows Harry to convince Janeway to let him do it, with him in command. Paris wants to come, but since he outranks Harry, Paris would be in command. Since Seven has no rank, she goes along to help. Harry christens the ship "Nightingale," after Florence Nightingale, who was a famous nurse during wartime. Seven is injured in another attack, and the Kraylorian's knowledge of the ship's operation and lack of knowledge of treatment for Seven tips Harry off that they're not doctors. They are, in fact, engineers who have devised a cloaking device for the ship. When Harry refuses to continue the mission, the Kraylorians mutiny. Back in sick bay, a revived Seven chews out Harry for giving up when things don't go his way. He goes back to the bridge to help the Kraylorians return home.

The secondary plot has B'Lanna trying to get Icheb out of his shell. Icheb mistakes this for romantic overtures. Hilarity ensues.

Up for grabs. Someone else post one!

George

This one should be somewhat obvious -

"Don't you think you could "accidentally" manage to leave me behind here? On this planet, that would be punishment enough."

"I can't do that, Harry. But I will appear as a character witness at your trial... if you think that'll help."

"They'll throw away the key!"

"Oh, that sound of male ego. You travel halfway across the galaxy and it's still the same song. There ... are you going to eat or talk?"