GreaseSpot Cafe

Way ProSUCtions

shortfuse

god i'm still crying about that song

but anyway, the one by dan was like a hymn if i remember

does anyone remember ?

i got it, it's called something like "through changed eyes"

now we wait a joyful nation, come, our something christ elation.....

knowing then we'll see it all through changed eyes

i actually live for the day :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i'm nuts but bear with me

this is the new song that touched my heart regarding jesus:

I can only imagine

What it will be like

When I walk

By your side

I can only imagine

What my eyes will see

When your face

Is before me

I can only imagine

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel

Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still

Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall

Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all

I can only imagine

I can only imagine

When that day comes

And I find myself

Standing in the Son

I can only imagine

When all I will do

Is forever

Forever worship You

I can only imagine

I can only imagine

When all I will do

Is forever, forever worship you

but this is my favorite.....

When the rain is blowing in your face

And the whole world is on your case

I could offer you a warm embrace

To make you feel my love

When the evening shadows and the stars appear

And there is no one there to dry your tears

I could hold you for a million years

To make you feel my love

I know you haven't made your mind up yet

But I would never do you wrong

I've known it from the moment that we met

No doubt in my mind where you belong

I'd go hungry, I'd go black and blue

I'd go crawling down the avenue

There's nothing that I wouldn't do

To make you feel my love

The storms are raging on the rollin' sea

And on the highway of regret

The winds of change are blowing wild and free

You ain't seen nothing like me yet

I could make you happy, make your dreams come true

Nothing that I wouldn't do

Go to the ends of the earth for you

To make you feel my love

That's an awesome video and story, excathedra. I really like that song too. Those are more inspirational than any boring bible teaching I ever sat in.

I got in the ministry in Feb 1974 after a long drug binge and immediatly they took me to HQ where the first thing we saw was Ted singing and doing his thing at a little place in Minster. I thought I was having an acid flashback.

That song "I Can Only Imagine" must have been inspired by God, because it has had a huge impact (from what I have heard from MercyMe itself and from what I heard from secular radio stations that played it). Give their other songs a listen, the band is pretty good. Their new CD is called "Coming Up to Breathe" and has a whole lot more to it than the average contemporary Christian music/lyrics.

And whatever happened with Ken McCaw? He was supposed to be headed for writing movie scores last time I heard quite a few years ago.

I always thought the singin' lady's need to oil their hip sockets a little more. Especially the larger ladies.

I did appreciate the hamonies performed by the "Prod". But they were more egotistical than most LCs I knew. They were extemely "unapproachable".

I always felt like there was very little "beef" in the music.

I don't think they were like what I'm about to say.... but their appearance was as though the singing ladies were starting a 'women's Lib' movement.

QUOTE: "extremely unapproachable"

Unfortunately, that is my recollection toward the end, as well. In the earlier days it was: if you were on the stage, we were all in it together. But when I got to HQ (mid-late 80s) most of the 'big names' (snort) would walk right past the rest of us without a word. We were just so many plants to make them look better. Even folks I had known in their humbler days acted like this. Ridiculous!!

Musicians on stage, doing their best for what they believed in -- yea --

Thats all I ever really cared about, So there were no Joni Mitchells, or James Taylors,and it wasnt 'great' there is a certain appeal to me of music that is genuine and honest and not packaged and refined as a 'product'.

I'd much rather see someone strumming a banjo on a back porch who genuinely loves it and feels it than a technically better musician who has a canned and phony 'performance' anyway-

Somewhere along the line ( it goes to the way theology) anything that was genuine and worthwhile got pushed out and killed , the shell that was left pretty much was empty

In the olden days (like arely 1900's) music was almost always a personal activity. People played and sang at home, in their local church or town. And talent levels varied (same was true for furniture making, cooking and many other crafts). Very few were ever exposed to real professional level talent.

As technology changed and travel became more affordable more and more people could experience real professionals to the point where today we can hear and see them any time on our mobile phones.

In the 60's and 70's the folk and rock movements encouraged a bit of return to enjoying that personal level of music. It has since dissappeared. But early days of Way music was like that. Some skill and talent and lots of excitement and enjoyment.

As the way got more legalistic, they crowded out raw excitement in favor of people who would succumb to the rules. And this they preferred much more than talent.

That's my 2 cents (and one for inflation)

I remember an album that was put out by Sue Pierce and Lynn Perrigo called "Timothy"...

Great songs and vocals...but they never "shot it through" the twi prism of censorship and control and they were pushed out the back door...

...Another example of how Wierwille insisted that everything was to be be controlled by him...I remember his arrogant rhetoric of "teaching" musicians how to be "right on" spiritually. What a crock of sh *t...

...Irregardless of how much talent they had or didn't have, twi musicians were never allowed to explore the depth of their inspirations without the cornfield preacher standing over them with the hammer.

Groucho----------Ditto on "Timothy". I still have a copy that I spin from time to time. I really like the total sound of it and never bothered to evaluate it's "accuracy". There was also a non TWI group that attracted lots of attention at that time called GLASS HARP. We would go to their concerts and try to win the lead guitarist,Phil Keagy, over to the TWI way of thinking. It was definately a trophy type of thinking on our part. Some of their/his work is still out there and available. He is/was a very talented musician who seemed to borrow from a classical background. He found the JCING thinking a great stumbling block.

Another memorable effort from that era is O THEOPHILUS by a group called Hope.( TWI but not HQ sanctioned) Lynn and Sue are mentioned in the special thanks credits.

i don't know about the when, but the why is because the leaders got more and more involved. the more they injected their "spiritual perspective" into what the musicians did, the worse it got. it's sprawled out's law.

case in point, when i was in residence, i played in a pretty hot band. we had four good singers, and two strong lead vocalists. it didn't take long for one of the corps coordinators to pull me aside and suggest splitting the two strong singers up into two different groups--even though it was the combination that made the band as good as it was. THAT'S the kind of thing that happened all the time, and brought everything down to that vanilla level. it was like there was a fear of excellence. in music, anyway.

(for the record, when i was asked what i thought of the coordinators' suggestion, i said i thought it sucked. amazingly, they backed off and never mentioned it again. of course, no one paid heed to our suggestion of sending us all out to the same area after graduation--THAT would've been too smart!)

I'd much rather see someone strumming a banjo on a back porch who genuinely loves it and feels it than a technically better musician who has a canned and phony 'performance' anyway-

Somewhere along the line ( it goes to the way theology) anything that was genuine and worthwhile got pushed out and killed , the shell that was left pretty much was empty

I concur! :biglaugh:

TWI took the heart out of the music and the folks who wanted to express themselves through their music. They kill something genuine and then build rules around it and expect folks to duplicate what came naturally. You just can't force that kind of stuff. It's painfully obvious when they do go to great lengths like that.

I remember at the Advanced Class there were some men with incredibly awesome voices and contagious exuberance. They would sing impromptu whenever we had breaks and they started a few sing alongs where everyone was drawn to the area and sang with joy in their hearts and smiles on their faces.... just a wonderful time - unscheduled, unplanned and unstructured. Well, Mosquedo and the other leaders put a real ugly spin on that and stopped all the fun. You could feel the air in the room deflate while Mosquedo went off on his tirade in the cafeteria.

It's not just the music they've done that to, either. It's the fun things -gatherings, game nights, coffee houses, etc. Anything TWI does now is just going through the motions, not really full of any feelings, genuine love, care, concern, glory to God, etc. They try to fake hillside sing alongs, but it's just hollow, fake and leaves you empty and longing for the days when those things were real and filling.

Sprawled: Well, I dug the hell out of that tape. Still have it. Less than a year ago I played the song Faithful at a branch sized gathering and I'm considering doing Building the wall sometime. What instrument did you play and who was the guy with the really low voice who wrote the song about his grandpa?

I think there must've been a lot of pressure on way prod groups to conform to TWI speak, but there was still a small window of possibility to express your group personality. IMO Called out maximized that opportunity.

Edited by johniam