GreaseSpot Cafe

The 60s!

sprawled out

It was in JULY? honest I watched it in school and it was during the day. maybe evening . and it was live all the teachers were as nuts as us watching it. at night? did we go to the school for a public thing to watch it? no. maybe I was in elementary like grade 5. some still didnt have tv yet.

I will have to call my sister now, to remember but she smoked those more like 10 bucks bags alot more than I did and she wont remember. It is quite possible we had school into july because we had taken alot of time off for the new school. but at night ? my parents would not have taken us, maybe, I do not remember them being there. it might have been a public forum thing if it was that late.

even here way east? I know i saw it live and I thought it was daytime (I was a kid so that might be a little wrong) but it was at the school. It was still light out when we sat down cause I wanted to go to the new playground and play outside. In july it is light here till ten o clock at night .

who can I call that will remember being there?

oh no. i have to find out.

Edited by pond

The first lunar landing was on July 20, 1969. The LM (Lunar Module) touched down at 3:17 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Armstrong stepped onto the surface of the moon at 9:56 p.m. EST. Aldrin followed him a few minutes later. They spent a little over two hours on the lunar surface, with Armstrong returning to the LM at 12:11 a.m EST July 21.

Edited by LG

was tv live back then? i wil ask her we might have gone to the school to watch it at night, funny I do not remember my parents , maybe they had all us kids in the hallway and the adults were in another room or something. it was still like a mouse we couldnt say a word I remember that. funny isnt it?

my own child has a memory like this when time stopped and the world changed.. it was 9/11. mine was happy excitement hers was death and despair. sad .

no your wrong it was the man on the moon and I do know how old I am .

I remember it as clear as day and that is funny we must have gone back to school to watch it. ten o clock it is till light out here in July. I was not a small child middle school age. it was an amazing thing I remember the teachers ignoring us almost watching the tv it was exciting. I will have to ask my sister how it was daytime and it was at night.

I remember watching the Saturday morning Beatles cartoons.

And that band which sort of looked like the Beatles on "The Munsters".

Aunt Gloria barfing out chunks into the kitchen sink on New Years Eve.

"Lost in Space".

I remember watching the moonwalk with my father late at night.

And being somewhat disappointed that no strange alien life emerged from the craters

to gobble up Neil Armstrong.

haha

no dears i remember I remember my teacher that year it was the last year we had "school" . they were opening the school without walls and after that we no longer had grades or teachers, I just know it was at school must have been we went down there to watch it for some reason if your certain it was at night .

hmm I wonder if it was in color and we only had a black and white at home.

maybe this is a riot I do not even know if we had a tv at home then . we probably did I will ask when I see the grown ups at the time. haha so funny how I remember some things so proper and others not so much.

i was born in 1956

when i was in 7th (my son is in 7th now), it was 1969

i had a crush on jimmy costello

i ran up to him on the last day of school and threw a package of homemade chocolate chip cookies at him

my mother helped me bake them (well she really baked them)

i guess i wasn't woodstock material

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h ah ah ah ah ah aha ha haaaa (no brownies) ha ha ha ahhhhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha

I graduated HS in 1960; went to college and then got married in 1964.I Started teaching Chemistry and General Science in September of 1964. I guess most of the decade went by me. I worked almost a 40 hour week to put myself through school with some student aid loans....and I worked my fanny off the first 2 years of teaching. I was so busy in College that the most insane thing I ever did was stand in front of one of the TV's about 5 or 6 deep at 4:30 watching Huckleberry Hound - or 3-day Hearts marathons.

I do remember HS girls came to school in skirts, always. No jeans were ever allowed so most of the guys wore chinos or something like that (don't remember if there was a special brand then). They had to wear a shirt with a banded collar and never a hat inside the building. The guys only needed ties for announced assemblies. Belts for gents were preferred but not required. Shirts were tucked in. Never a complaint from the kids about a dress code. In the summer it was blazing hot for everybody and so the students were allowed Bermuda shorts and guys could wear polo shirts with a collar. Socks were necessary unless you wore sandals (but no thongs...genuine shoe-type things here).

Teachers were not so fortunate. Women teachers were expected to wear stockings (pantyhose was just coming out) and Male staff were supposed to keep their jackets on in the classroom with their ties tied. However, the Principal relieved the men of the jacket requirement reasonably often. Women wore mostly suits or dresses and 2" heels all day (it was expected) and never permitted slacks or trousers. At this time the mini-skirt was "in" so in the fall of 1966 the "ladies" petitioned for permission for pants suits. The only ones allowed were science teachers (on lab days only) and the lady art teacher who was trying to teach students how to use a pottery wheel....and it wasn't working.

As a staff we were respected by the student body and our supervisors and there was very little friction in that school at almost any level. (that started about 5 years later)

I also remember folk music and my feeble attempts to learn the guitar. Joni Mitchell and Judy Collins together with PP&M were among my favorites. Judy Collins moved me to tears with a rendition of "My Father " at the piano in Carnage Hall.

I also became amazed and enthralled with Simon and Garfunkel. Sometimes I even thought some of their blood ran through my veins.

It was still OK to take a student home in your car if you had permission from the parent and Principal.

Gifts from students were never expected but were graciously presented for an appropriate reason, and the gift was also appropriate. In June 1969 I "retired" as our application for adoption had been accepted and at that time, that meant that I must stay at home. I was the Senior Class Adviser and just before the left the cafeteria for the Graduation Field they presented me with a gold locket that was beautifully engraved will heavy scroll work on the front and "with thanks, class of '69" on the back. That was the most expensive gift ever given....but then, I was the only adviser who had stayed with a class during all 4 years.

When I think about it tonight -- it almost seems to me that I live in a foreign country now.

I guess I rambled.....................

Edited by krysilis

This song's a bit out of date now, but a few ladies might relate to it:

We were the girls of the 50's.

Stoned rock and rollers in the 60's.

And more than our names got changed

As the 70's slipped on by.

Now we're 80's ladies.

There ain't been much these ladies ain't tried.

We've been educated.

We got liberated.

And had complicating matters with men.

Oh, we've said "I do"

And we've signed "I don't"

And we've sworn we'd never do that again.

Oh, we burned our bras,

And we burned our dinners

And we burned our candles at both ends.

And we've had some children

Who look just like the way we did back then.

K.T. Oslin-80's ladies

I agree cool! I use my special Holiday manners if I'm all dressed to the nines especially if I'm going somewhere where I don't know most of the people.

Last week I was doing some serious cleaning (polishing some silver) and I was wearing grubbies. I went to wash my hands and there weren't any towels around so I wiped them on my thighs - - no worries. But I would never do that if I was wearing normal dress....I'd walk across the kitchen for the paper ones if I had to!