GreaseSpot Cafe

Domestic question

George Aar

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George,

You may want to stick to liquid detergent. If you use a powder, you will have to sit aoround and wait for the washer to fill up and start agitating before you put your clothes in. If you don't wait, you will end up with soap stains (clumps of soap) on clothing items.

That would depend on the machine also. Mine has a place to put the powder, and at the appropriate time in the cycle, it squirts water into the soap dispenser and sends it to the wet clothes. No waiting for the machine at all.

~HAP

Edited by HAPe4me

Personally, I use "Uncle Winkie's industrial stain remover"...it cost $1.19 for a 10 gallon pail and can usually be found in most hardware stores.

The only problem is that if you mix bleach with it, it will likely explode. It smells a little bit like french onion soup...

...whatever you do, make sure that you empty all the pockets of your pants...if there's any metal (coins, keys, bottle openers) it will cause all your clothes to turn a deep shade of green.

and by all means, keep the kids and pets away from the stuff.

George,

You may want to stick to liquid detergent. If you use a powder, you will have to sit aoround and wait for the washer to fill up and start agitating before you put your clothes in. If you don't wait, you will end up with soap stains (clumps of soap) on clothing items.

hmmm... I've never had that happen to me and I just spread the soap around about halfway through loading it... of course, you can always start the water flow and put the stuff in before you put in the clothes, that way it mixes with the water first...

Or just get yourself one of those cleaning ladies and tell them they have to do the laundry as well...

:who_me: I'm sorry, Tom. Sometimes it's rough being single gal. I'm afraid I may have shared too much. :unsure: In the words of Larry the Cable Guy, "That ain't right, Lord I apologize for that right there and be with the starving pygmies down there in New Guinea there, Amen"

Edited by Belle

Uncle Winkie???? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Tink and Tank Get Winked

"Say Tink, are these your shorts?"

"Sure are Tank, why?"

"I figured - when'd you start buying brown shorts, man?"

(laughter)

"Uh, well, they're not supposed to be brown Tink. Did you wash them with your T-Shirts again!?"

(loud chuckles)

"Man, our wash is a mess. What can we do, Tank?"

"Let's ask Uncle Winkie, his cotton underwear always looks spiffy clean! He'll know...."

(fade to commercial...)

George,

Take your clothes to the dry cleaners and let them wash it for you.

Saves loads of time and best money you'll ever spend.

I do all my own clothes here at the house.

The last time I was in a laundromat (sp?) --

I took all the throw rugs I have here at the house,

and washed them there -- so it wouldn't muck up my washer. :unsure:

Since I wash them once every coupla years -- who knows what was in there!

Uncle Winkie???? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Tink and Tank Get Winked

"Say Tink, are these your shorts?"

"Sure are Tank, why?"

"I figured - when'd you start buying brown shorts, man?"

(laughter)

"Uh, well, they're not supposed to be brown Tink. Did you wash them with your T-Shirts again!?"

(loud chuckles)

"Man, our wash is a mess. What can we do, Tank?"

"Let's ask Uncle Winkie, his cotton underwear always looks spiffy clean! He'll know...."

(fade to commercial...)

Laughter is a good medicine...thanks Socks! :biglaugh:

Yeah, I'm listening.

I promise I won't mix the colors with the whites, and only use a quart or so of bleach per load...

And also - to get back to my original point - just how is it you KNOW you're buying detergent and not fabric softener or stain remover or whatever? There's no clues on the actual label, of that I'm sure...