GreaseSpot Cafe

Domestic question

George Aar

Being more or less in bachelor mode again, I'm finding out things about domestic life I had never considered before. Maybe some of you folks more aquainted with the minutiae of daily life can enlighten me.

Why do the laundry soap manufaturers try so hard to keep their product a secret?

I mean, just the other day while attempting to buy some laundry detergent I couldn't figure out what the heck bottle or box of stuff to buy. I was trying to be sure I wasn't buying fabric softener or some other non-detergent laundry product, but NOWHERE on the label of the suspected soaps could I find a hint of what was actually inside. Lots of bright and cheery names for the product (BREEZY, TIDE, GAIN! and the like) but not a hint of what was actually inside the container.

Is there some sort of negative connotation to "laundry detergent" that I'm unaware of? Why do they not label their product with some sort of jargon to explain just what it is they're selling?

O.K., so this isn't earth-shattering, but it annoyed me enought to wanta ask...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it doesn't say on the label.

I hunted and hunted and finally found "Arm and Hammer" and there, in the lower, LH corner of the label it said in miniscule print (I had to put on my glasses) "laundry detergent".

There! Was that so hard? Would it be all that much to ask to actually label it so it could be read without a magnifying glass?

If it was just one maufacturer I would write it off as an oversight on their part. But it really was virtually every brand. It just struck me as odd that nobody trys very hard to identify their product as what it is. They just assume we'll know?

Notes on washing machines:

You don't need a lot of suds to have clean clothes. In fact a lot of suds means that the soap won't all rinse out in the rinse cycles. Just a tad of suds means it's working.

front loading washers We just got a front loading machine and it is great.

Annual cost $5 and it uses 1/3 the soap and because it wrings so much of the [dirty] water out in the spin, it takes about 1/3 the time (electricity $) to dry.

I had always wanted a front loading but only recently, I think pressured by the high cost of electricity, have the manufacturers offered them. The detergent companies historically were against front loaders I think because of the less soap use.

Anyway this is nice improvement.

and then I thought to google "soap." But that came up with a a computer program SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol).

But I did find this wonderfully clean thought:

The concept of clean -- bleach -- Bleach Makes a Difference

Using chlorine bleach to remove more body soil

On a normal day, the average person gives off one liter of sweat, eliminates one billion dead skin cells, and runs off 10 grams of sebum, otherwise known as body oil. All of this adds up to a lot of body soil that is embedded into the fibers of clothes, towels and sheets. Initial washing with detergent alone may leave these items looking and smelling clean. However, over time, body soil can build up in the fabrics, causing yellowing and dinginess, wearing down the fibers and providing a feasting ground for bacteria and dust mites.

That's where chlorine bleach can come to the rescue, declares Nancy Bock, Vice President of Education and Meetings at The Soap and Detergent Association. When chlorine bleach is added to the laundry load, it reacts with and breaks down body soil components into smaller, water-soluble particles that are easier for the detergent to remove. Once removed, the smaller particles are easier to keep suspended in the wash water, which prevents the body soil from redepositing itself onto the clean clothes. Before using chlorine bleach, check care labels on your clothing to be sure it is safe for the fabric. Carefully read and follow the label directions on the bleach bottle.

For best results:

* Add detergent as the washer fills up.

* Add the soiled items after the agitation has begun.

* Once the items are thoroughly wet and the machine has agitated for five minutes, add bleach that has been diluted in one quart of water.

* Always follow the manufacturer's instructions on the care label.

In hope of a cleaner world,

George,

The cheap ones probably work just fine, but you won't find a preference until you try a few. I get Tide with bleach because hubby prefers that kind. I would get whatever is on sale if it weren't for him. You will have to smell the fabric softeners to see which ones you like. I prefer Snuggle (Emerald Stream (scent) liquid to use in a second rinse cycle. The smell lasts longer than a dryer sheet. There are thousands upon millions of fabric softener scents these days. Don't buy the ones with just spanish wording on them. They don't work well.

I'm a liquid Tide with bleach alternative girl myself. When I was married, my ex used to do the shopping and he bought Era, as it was cheap. It worked ok, but I noticed a friend of mine's family's clothes seemed to last longer and she swore by liquid Tide with bleach. I've used it ever since my divorce in '93.

I've used All when I can't find Tide because I used to have a boyfriend that was an appliance repairman. He said they recommended All, but I don't remember why. I just remember he said to use it. :dance:

Seventh Generation http://www.seventhgeneration.com/our_produ...dry_powder.html and Method http://www.methodhome.com/products/detail....e=he64oz_fclear both label their products very clearly. Of course, neither one of these companies test on animals. Do you think this is just coincidence?

Yes, Method and Origin are the "tree hugger" brands and I do like them. They also make other cleaning products that are good, too. I just wish they were more affordable, but then again, organic produce is more expensive, too. It's just costly to live healthy and so I do it as I can afford it. (not bit chin that's life). :wink2:

I LOVED Surf, but then it became harder to find. I go for smell more than anything. I like Fresh Smelling clothes and I like strong smells, I guess. I do like the Tide with Simple Pleasures or the one with Downy included in it cause I am never around for the rinse cycle when you're supposed to add that stuff.

I've bought the cheap stuff before and maybe it gets the clothes clean, but I want them to smell clean, too. :dance: In fact, I tried the Tide with Simple Pleasures because an ex-boyfriend always smelled so "fresh" and nice when we went out. That's what he used. :redface2:

Careful with the front loaders and how much detergent you use. Since they use less water, they cannot have as much soap either. Most manufacturers recommend the "HE" marked products, but insiders say you can use regular stuff but use less of it.

Too much soap does not rinse out if you over do it. I have had mine for over a year, (Maytag Neptune) and have not had any problems. We love the huge capacity, since we can wash stuff like sleeping bags or large comforters.

~HAP

Thanks for your post, George – at least I know I’m not going crazy! Most of the time Tonto does the shopping – man she’s got grocery shopping down pat. Occasional I’ll go – but not without her “holding my hand” via cell phone – there’s just too many well-guarded secrets know only to the fully initiated ones. Ages ago, I’m in Sam’s looking for Cheer laundry detergent. Up and down the isle with all types of cleaners – around and round I go – finally I’m on the phone “I’m telling yah, there ain’t no laundry detergent here by the name of Cheer – they’ve got this stuff ColorGuard Cheer – and I’ve looked on every side of the damn box – it doesn’t say what this stuff is.” Her response “Uh huh – that’s it.” Doggone it - if they ain’t gonna have truth in labeling – how about a little hint!

I use Tide, also. Sometimes Tide with Bleach for whites (though I usually just add bleach) and sometimes Tide with bleach alternative. Best to use liquid versus powder - easier on your machine. My mother always used Cheer - their slogan was all-tempa Cheer - could use it for hot and cold. Use dryer sheets verus fabric softener in the wash as I'm not always around to add it in the proper cycle. Like Downy or Snuggle. Have been warned to say away from Bounce as in the distant past it contributed to fires in the dryer. Guess they've worked out that problem by now, but like the smell of Downy and Snuggle better.

Suda (the Laundry Queen)

I have to search each time I go as well. I get one of those boxes of arm and hammer that'll do 48 or so loads, and that lasts me for an entire year. So (about) a year passes between my purchases of laundry soap -- and all the labels have changed by the time I need another one. :(

Ya think the companies would cater to old guys like us and keep some things the same ---

same labels, bold print, easy-to-read labeling of the contents, no *decorator* packaging, etc.,

but then again we don't make up enough of the market to warrant such consideration.

Costco has a house brand. No frills, just big container of liquid laundry soap, with spiggot. I buy it for my widowed neighbor as well. (Until this thread it never occurred to me that I was saving him stress by doing so.)

Kit -- If I had the Vatican's phone number, I'd call and nominate you for saint hood!!

The patron saint of widowed men who need laundry soap.

:biglaugh:

Suda (and everyone):

It's not just Bounce fabric softener sheets. It's all of them. They leave an invisible waxy coating on the mesh of your lint filter. It's recommended that you wash the lint filter with soap & water and a brush every 6 months, to extend the life of the heating element of your dryer.

FWIW, before we got a washer with a fabric softener dispenser, we used to use a "downy wash ball:"

B0006M50W0.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41836511_.jpg

From "How Stuff Works"

The Downy fabric-softener ball has to be one of the simplest inventions ever. The ball is a self-contained timing device, meaning that you don't have to wait for the spin cycle to insert the liquid fabric softener into a load of laundry.

The ball utilizes Newton's first law of motion -- "An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force" -- in an ingenious way to dispense the liquid at the correct time during the wash.

Initially, the ball floats on top of the water in a top-loading washer (front-loading washers cannot use the ball because it needs a vertically aligned cylinder for the release mechanism to work). The ball stays this way through the first few normal cycles. The liquid fabric softener is kept inside the ball by a rubber gasket connected to a rubber weight that hangs toward the center of the ball. The seal that is formed can withstand a fairly hefty force, which you can see for yourself if you try to open it.

As the spin cycle begins, the ball is thrown against the side of the washer with a great deal of force. This is where Newton's first law comes into play.

As the ball travels towards the side of the washer, both the hard outer shell and the rubber weight in the center are travelling at a certain speed and in a certain direction -- they have momentum. Once the ball hits the wall, the outer shell is immediately stopped, but the rubber weight can still move inside the ball. The weight keeps travelling with the same momentum toward the wall. Since the weight is connected to the gasket, once the weight reaches a certain angle the gasket is popped and the seal is compromised. At this point, the ball sinks, and the water in the base of the washer flows in to mix with the fabric softener. The mixture then flows out of the ball and into your clothing at precisely the right moment -- and you didn't have to time it yourself!

I use the Costco brand myself. It's good, smells nice and is very inexpensive.

I don't use fabric softener - it makes the towels soft but also less absorbent.

Edited by doojable

Front loading washers rule! In addition to everything above - they are also kinder to your clothes. You'll find that that synthetics will not pill as much and in general, much less wear and tear. I doo not understand why - but I can attest to the fact that the clothes are cleaner.

Detergent preference may vary by where you live because the water is different. Also try to use the coolest water that will give results, your clothes will last longer. Always use hot water for underwear and bed sheets and pillowcases. (I don't care if you think the colors will fade - it kills dust mites - and we all have them)

You can use fabric softener in your towels if you leave it out of every 4th load. So the first week of the month, I leave it out....but that's just me.

Clean your dryer's lint filterand traps. We are only 2 so it gets done when the clocks change and the fire alarm batteries get changed. Pull the lint trap out and use a vacuum or a long brush. What you can't get from the inside, you may be able to get from the outside.

George,

You may want to stick to liquid detergent. If you use a powder, you will have to sit aoround and wait for the washer to fill up and start agitating before you put your clothes in. If you don't wait, you will end up with soap stains (clumps of soap) on clothing items.

I tried that Downy ball and had it fail more than I liked. It opened, but never distributed the softener. It has to move just right. Get a washer which has a hole to dispense softener at the right time. I just do a second wash since my washer is old and doesn't have a softender dispenser.

Liguid All detergent in the blue bottle here

and the downey ball with the scent free softener.

Also I always do a second cold water ririnse (extra rinse) that takes care of the stuff top loaders leave behind

As for the labeling

Detergents have Ads' on them that tell you how many "loads they are good for

like this

""good for 46 loads" "new improved twice the Loads as ordinary "