GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

Giveaway:

"Fred, what we want is, I think, what everyone wants, and what you and your viewers have: civilization."

"Yes, but what sort of civilization are you speaking of?"

"The niceties, Fred. The fine points: diplomacy, compassion, standards, manners, tradition... that's what we're reaching toward. Oh, we may stumble along the way, but civilization, yes. The Geneva Convention, chamber music, Susan Sontag. Everything your society has worked so hard to accomplish over the centuries, that's what we aspire to; we want to be civilized. You take a look at this fellow here. (Shoots him in the head) Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. Fun, but in no sense civilized. Now, bear in mind, none of us has been in New York before. There are the Broadway shows - we'll have to find out how to get tickets. There's also a lot of street crime, but I believe we can watch that for free. We want the essentials. Dinettes. Complete bedroom groups. Convenient credit, even though we've been turned down in the past."

"Okay you guys, listen up! People pay good money to see this movie! When they go out to a theater they want cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the projection booth! Do I have to come up there myself?"

"Fred, what we want is, I think, what everyone wants, and what you and your viewers have: civilization."

"The niceties, Fred. The fine points: diplomacy, compassion, standards, manners, tradition... that's what we're reaching toward. Oh, we may stumble along the way, but civilization, yes. The Geneva Convention, chamber music, Susan Sontag. Everything your society has worked so hard to accomplish over the centuries, that's what we aspire to; we want to be civilized. You take a look at this fellow here. (Shoots him in the head) Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. Fun, but in no sense civilized. Now, bear in mind, none of us has been in New York before. There are the Broadway shows - we'll have to find out how to get tickets. There's also a lot of street crime, but I believe we can watch that for free. We want the essentials. Dinettes. Complete bedroom groups. Convenient credit, even though we've been turned down in the past."

"Okay you guys, listen up! People pay good money to see this movie! When they go out to a theater they want cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the projection booth! Do I have to come up there myself?"

"All they have to do is to eat three or four children and there'd be the most appalling publicity."

"BUY! BUY! BUY!"

"SELL! SELL! SELL!"

"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."

"Sir, I'm... I'm sorry about the building."

"I'm not."

"You're not?"

"For one thing, we're insured for the damages. For another, maybe it wasn't a place for people anyway. It was a place for things. You make a place for things... things come."

Here's where most of the quotes came in...

Hulk Hogan in the movie theater, when the Gremlins succeed in messing up the projector.

(This was a LOT funnier to me, since I had seen a projector problem in the same theater recently,

then saw this movie, so I had a second of thinking this was another projector problem....)

In an experimental lab in the building, one Gremlin drank some sort of intelligence-enhancing potion.

He became "the Brain Gremlin" and was voiced by Tony Randall.

The Brain Gremlin had GREAT lines, as you can see.

"All they have to do is to eat three or four children and there'd be the most appalling publicity."

"BUY! BUY! BUY!"

"SELL! SELL! SELL!"

"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."

Gremlins, and the Brain Gremlin, after taking over a financial advisor office in the Clamp Building.

"Sir, I'm... I'm sorry about the building."

"I'm not."

"You're not?"

"For one thing, we're insured for the damages. For another, maybe it wasn't a place for people anyway. It was a place for things. You make a place for things... things come."

Clamp himself, philosophical about how his high-tech building was all wrong for people, to Billy.

(Clamp seemed to be a pastiche of Donald Trump and Ted Turner, with a few more details thrown in.)

It's the only movie I know of with a restaurant that serves CANADIAN food. (What?)

"I thought you were dead!"

"Me? Die, and miss all the excitement?"

"Store's closed, Mister."

"I'm not here for cigarettes or bubble gum, my boy."

"Otis, I just never have a chance to have a good time around here."

"Things change. Always do. You'll get your chance! Important thing is, when it comes, you've got to grab with both hands, and hold on tight!"

"Hey, are you the kind of kid who reads the last page of a mystery first? Who pesters the magician to tell you his tricks? Who sneaks downstairs to peek at his Christmas presents? Noooo, of course you're not!

That's-why-I'm-not-gon-na-tell-you!"

"Oh, God."

"Besides, I just love surprises, don't you?"

"I thought you were dead!"

"Me? Die, and miss all the excitement?"

"Store's closed, Mister."

"I'm not here for cigarettes or bubble gum, my boy."

"Otis, I just never have a chance to have a good time around here."

"Things change. Always do. You'll get your chance! Important thing is, when it comes, you've got to grab with both hands, and hold on tight!"

"So it must be fate, destiny, blind chance, luck even, that brings us together. And as the poet said, the rest is history."

"Where are you going? Where are you taking me?"

"Hey, are you the kind of kid who reads the last page of a mystery first? Who pesters the magician to tell you his tricks? Who sneaks downstairs to peek at his Christmas presents? Noooo, of course you're not!

That's-why-I'm-not-gon-na-tell-you!"

"Oh, God."

"Besides, I just love surprises, don't you?"

"Classic military strategy: surprise attack."

"It'll be a slaughter!"

"That's the spirit!"

"No, MY slaughter!"

"I'm sorry, it was an accident. I didn't mean to step on your, uh, whatever that is."

"You still want to go? And miss all the excitement?"

"When you're walkin' down the street... and you see a little ghost... whatcha gonna do about - Ghostbusters?"

"What? What is that?"

"That's the Ghostbusters theme song."

"No."

"I'm pretty sure it is."

"How come you never got married Mr. Fletcher?"

"Well, the common story is, the girl that you's gon' ask you waited too long to ask. She went on to marry somebody else and then you can't find anybody to compare to her, so what happens?... You get old."

George

"I'm Bill Murray; you're everybody else."

"The past belongs to us, and we can change it."

"I'd like this 'Sweded,' please!"

"When you're walkin' down the street... and you see a little ghost... whatcha gonna do about - Ghostbusters?"

"What? What is that?"

"No."

"I'm pretty sure it is."

"Well, the common story is, the girl that you's gon' ask you waited too long to ask. She went on to marry somebody else and then you can't find anybody to compare to her, so what happens?... You get old."

George

"I didn’t sabotage the power plant, the power plant sabotaged me."

"I want my own trailer, next to my trailer, a movie trailer."

"I'm Bill Murray; you're everybody else."

"The past belongs to us, and we can change it."

"I'd like this 'Sweded,' please!"

"What? What is that?"

"No."

"I'm pretty sure it is."

George

"I've never loved anybody this way. Never looked at a woman and thought, 'if civilization fails, if the world ends, I'll still understand what God meant.' "

" I've been offered a choice between NO job and a job no one would want."

"I never loved Stewart. It was a mistake Will. I'm going to talk to him. Stewart, never for one moment, mentioned he loved me."

"You think that makes it better? To betray me over and over again with a man that meant nothing to you? To know you betrayed me for nothing?"

"Don't be a smug..."

"Don't touch me! And Keep Away."

"She's obligated to one more book, and then we get a first-look at her next two."

"One more book. Good. How about an 8-page remeniscence of all the restaurants I've loved?"

"Well, whatever you say-there are no specifications in the contract."

"All right. I'll start eating out right now. You are a rarity, Mr Swinton- a lying man with a great taste in authors."

"Gary? Don't tell people you had a drop of tequila in your coffee this morning. You didn't HAVE coffee this morning."

"I've never loved anybody this way. Never looked at a woman and thought, 'if civilization fails, if the world ends, I'll still understand what God meant.' "

" 'Demoted', I think, is the word. I've been offered a choice between no job and a job no one would want."

"I never loved Stewart. It was a mistake Will. I'm going to talk to him. Stewart, never for one moment, mentioned he loved me."

"You think that makes it better? To betray me over and over again with a man that meant nothing to you? To know you betrayed me for nothing?"

"Don't be a smug..."

"Don't touch me! And Keep Away."