GreaseSpot Cafe

Letter from John Lynn

Estimated, your last post sounded, for want of a better word, theatrical. You make it almost sound like we are willing to throw the CES leaders under a moving bus. No one here is contemplating this, at least that I know of. But the real question is why do you think any of them are, at this time, making a better contribution to the body of Christ than a number of people on this board? I think we have some mature Christian people right here. No one here needs to be led around by the nose. Hierarchy has been the scourge of the body of Christ for centuries. This was especially evident with TWI and it looks to me that CES is eating from the same tree. How else can you explain one leader sueing the other leaders over ministry matters and their positions of leadership in their so-called ministry. Maybe the CES leaders are not worth learning from at this time? Try this teaching instead.

http://www.waychrist.com/Lordship_JC.htm

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does anyone care about John Lynn? He introduced me to his "girlfriend" that he was going to marry after he and Pat split. But really who cares????? And if you CARE so much.............why?????

If he's ....#d up, he's ....#d up. If he's out in the cyber space woods, so be it. Pray for the dude if you care. If you don't let your brain go elsewhere.

I knew him way back when....when he and Pat were married and with their daughter. People change...and they were under pressure then. Pat was a Jack Daniels junkey and he was a bottled water junkie. Pat spent all her time with Harvey Platig.

But SO WHAT. She taught me how to fold sheets in a class...sheets that are fittied. That's all I give her credit for. She was basically an all bitch then and probably still is...but she taught the "corps" how to fold fitted sheets.

I "KNOW" John's background.................do YOU....probably NO.

His parents own E-Lie Lilly (mis-spelled it). They own the eli lilly corporation so John has never had to work and never would hold an actual job in his life. He lives off the the principle of the E-lie lilly corp. That corp destributes drugs and researches them. BUt his dad was the founder of the company so that's where he gets his bucks and his pass into never working or holding a job. He used to joke about never having to work. He was born with a silver spoon and still sucks it.

Edited by sogwap51

Estimated, your last post sounded, for want of a better word, theatrical. You make it almost sound like we are willing to throw the CES leaders under a moving bus. No one here is contemplating this, at least that I know of. But the real question is why do you think any of them are, at this time, making a better contribution to the body of Christ than a number of people on this board? Try this teaching instead.

Mark,

Pardon my melodrama,

and forgove me for misjudjing anyone here.

This discussion is taking me into some deep places and I am a bit over my head.

I also never intended to say they are making a better contribution to the body than anyone else.

I just think the people at S&T aren't as bad as this thread seems to suggest with

some of the references to bad fruit and ravening wolves.

I'm glad that you don't want to throw them under the bus.

Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong.

I never meant to say there is nothing wrong with S&T,

and pray is gets straightened out.

Your article on the Lordship of Jesus Christ is superb.

Thanks for sharing it with us and for getting my day off to a good start.

John Lynn's father was with Lilly Endowment which is separate from Eli Lilly and Company. It was founded by members of the Lilly family, too, and gets money from the profits of the drug company, the stock it holds in Eli Lilly.

His father retired, and no longer sits on the board or is an officer. A Lilly still sits on the board, though.

John did grow up very well off though, and went to the best private school Indianapolis had to offer.

Sogwap51...I'm glad you know how to fold fitted sheets (I learned that from my mom)....but I have known the Lynn family personally for years and every sentence you wrote about them is incorrect. Mr. Lynn worked from age 17 to about 45 at Eli Lilly. Never an officer or on the Board. In an era when "the firm" did take care of its people, meaning, they kept his job when he served in WWII. In the 60s, I think, he was promoted to General Manager of the Lilly Endowment and held that job until his retirement more than 30 years ago. Never an officer or on the Board.

There is nothing wrong with having money, but, Vegan, the Lynns were not, in my definition, "very well off" and yes, John went to a private school...because he was not doing well in the public one. Whoopee. Costs then were nothing like there are now anyway, but the other 2 Lynn kids did not go to private schools and I've never seen the Sr Lynns do anything but good for others wth any income Mr. Lynn earned. JL did work for Lilly's during one or maybe two summers in college, but the "never held a job" line is because he went from college directly into the Army directly into the Way (Class, then Corps, then 'leadership'). He then went from 'leadership' in The Way to starting CES..........but, as has been stated over and over here, he lived off the can for many years, then MG put him on salary, but that was short-lived and he has not been on CES' payroll for a few years but instead has built an SAT business from scratch and works it well.

I'm sorry you're still so mad at JL and Pat, but I hope you will no longer tell people things that are not true about JL's family. They are some of the sweetest people I have ever met and do not deserve to be dragged into this fight.

Estimated, your last post sounded, for want of a better word, theatrical. You make it almost sound like we are willing to throw the CES leaders under a moving bus. No one here is contemplating this, at least that I know of. But the real question is why do you think any of them are, at this time, making a better contribution to the body of Christ than a number of people on this board? I think we have some mature Christian people right here. No one here needs to be led around by the nose. Hierarchy has been the scourge of the body of Christ for centuries. This was especially evident with TWI and it looks to me that CES is eating from the same tree. How else can you explain one leader sueing the other leaders over ministry matters and their positions of leadership in their so-called ministry. Maybe the CES leaders are not worth learning from at this time? Try this teaching instead.

Mark Sanguinetti, thanks – I enjoyed reading your article on the Lordship of Jesus Christ…and think you hit the nail on the head with your comment.

" You will know them by their fruits"

Matthew 7:16

T-Bone states:

"…Jesus said you'll spot them by their predatory traits [being like ravenous wolves] and the fruits of their labor [the end result of their work]. For our Lord to leave such simple directions - it can't be too hard to miss. He indicated the type of tree is known by the type of fruit – He didn't say on a good tree you might find some bad fruit – like some of it is overripe or rotten. That is thinking about quality of fruit – but Jesus is speaking of genus – oranges from an orange tree – apples from an apple tree, figs from a fig tree, etc…So I'm not accusing anyone of being a false apostle or prophet. If they're not a ravenous wolf or some glory hound claiming that God sent them [like the false apostles of II Corinthians 11:3-15]"

Considering this

I find myself at the crux of the dilimna.

Is S&T a good tree with some over ripe or rotten fruit?

Or is it a bad tree with bad fruit?

Is John Lynn a good tree, so to speak,

or Mark G or any one of us?

Are we rotten to the core?

If one of those people have offended me,

do I have the right to cast them off and throw them into the fire?

Is this process really necessary?

Is it right to disconnect from them?

What do we do with people when they are disobedient to the Truth?

( which I have been many times )

I don't know, but I know Him who does.

What would Jesus do?

!!

Estimated Prophet, please look over my post # 539 – after defining the office of an apostle from theological encyclopedias and pointing out Jesus' criteria for determining a false prophet - you quoted my comments on that but left off something that I thought really made my point in your situation:

…Jesus said you'll spot them by their predatory traits [being like ravenous wolves] and the fruits of their labor [the end result of their work]. For our Lord to leave such simple directions - it can't be too hard to miss. He indicated the type of tree is known by the type of fruit – He didn't say on a good tree you might find some bad fruit – like some of it is overripe or rotten. That is thinking about quality of fruit – but Jesus is speaking of genus – oranges from an orange tree – apples from an apple tree, figs from a fig tree, etc…So I'm not accusing anyone of being a false apostle or prophet. If they're not a ravenous wolf or some glory hound claiming that God sent them [like the false apostles of II Corinthians 11:3-15] – maybe they're just a Christian who feels insecure and is looking for an ego boost – perhaps they mean well – but this assumption of self-importance [which I've seen all too much back in TWI] rallies Christians around a mere human – hero worship.

I don't have a problem with people wanting to teach others and to care for the church. Why does it have to be authorized with some self-assumed title or office? Throwing around these titles just hits me as a way to gain influence over others. Appeals are made to the authority of Scripture – when they wish to amass more authority for themselves. I think the biblical definition of apostle stresses divine choice, divine training and divine empowerment – but what I've seen from some people who love to flaunt the ordination badge – is their love for a divine position...

I wasn't trying to label anyone as a bad tree or condemn anyone as a false apostle. I was trying to answer your question of how do you determine if someone is a false prophet or apostle. The way I understand the office of an apostle from the scriptural data – is that it appears as a function that was necessary for the beginning of the church – so I see it as a non-issue here and maybe a topic reserved for debate in the doctrinal forum…As for false prophets – I cannot render a decision on CES since I have never been a part of the group. Jesus' instructions in Matthew 7 are for those who are having a first-hand experience with a false prophet – He mentions their predatory nature and type of fruit as a means of identifying them. II Peter 2 also has more info on the doctrines, doom, depravity, and deceptions of false teachers…Rather than me directing you on how to analyze someone else's ministry, office, or faith I think it would be more helpful for you to reflect inwards...

...After offering my opinion on the biblical definition of apostle - I then changed to what I actually thought was your dilemma…I think you may be experiencing something many of us Christians went through after leaving TWI. I don't know what you call it – maybe a crisis of faith – but I don't mean where it's doubting God or any of Christianity's big-ticket items [like Christ's resurrection, The Bible, prayer, etc.]. Sorry – I can't find a way to articulate it – maybe it's more like a crisis of practice or process – I dunno…a dilemma over HOW to practice my faith.

I think Mark's article on the Lordship of Jesus Christ was most appropriate here. While in TWI my faith was TWI-leadership-centered rather than Christ-centered. The focus of my faith [TWI leadership] was a key reference point. It held sway over my decision-making ability. Where am I at spiritually? Just find out what TWI leadership thinks of me. What does this passage mean? Consult TWI leaders and TWI reference material. The status of MY spiritual life was bound up in and governed by TWI leadership. That's why the dilemma of some CES followers and leaders sounds SO FAMILIAR to me. So…maybe to clarify my earlier comments let me add – I'm not accusing any of the CES leadership of being false apostles or false prophets. I am suggesting that some of the followers and leaders may have succumbed to a practice of faith that is NOT Christ-centered – but CES-leadership-centered.

Edited by T-Bone

Onefinecustom said:

There is nothing wrong with having money, but, Vegan, the Lynns were not, in my definition, "very well off" and yes, John went to a private school...because he was not doing well in the public one. Whoopee.

Well, our definitions of 'very well off' differ greatly. When I knew the Lynns, they were living in an elite neighborhood, on the richest side of Indianapolis. And JAL did not go to just any private school, he went to what is now Park Tutor, which was, back then, a VERY prestigious school.

But how is saying JAL came from money dragging his parents into a fight?

Estimated Prophet, please look over my post # 539 – after defining the office of an apostle from theological encyclopedias and pointing out Jesus' criteria for determining a false prophet - you quoted my comments on that but left off something that I thought really made my point in your situation:

...…So I'm not accusing anyone of being a false apostle or prophet. If they're not a ravenous wolf or some glory hound claiming that God sent them [like the false apostles of II Corinthians 11:3-15] – maybe they're just a Christian who feels insecure and is looking for an ego boost – perhaps they mean well – but this assumption of self-importance [which I've seen all too much back in TWI] rallies Christians around a mere human – hero worship. ...

I don't have a problem with people wanting to teach others and to care for the church. Why does it have to be authorized with some self-assumed title or office? Throwing around these titles just hits me as a way to gain influence over others. Appeals are made to the authority of Scripture – when they wish to amass more authority for themselves. I think the biblical definition of apostle stresses divine choice, divine training and divine empowerment – but what I've seen from some people who love to flaunt the ordination badge – is their love for a divine position...

I think Mark's article on the Lordship of Jesus Christ was most appropriate here. While in TWI my faith was TWI-leadership-centered rather than Christ-centered. The focus of my faith [TWI leadership] was a key reference point. It held sway over my decision-making ability. Where am I at spiritually? Just find out what TWI leadership thinks of me. What does this passage mean? Consult TWI leaders and TWI reference material. The status of MY spiritual life was bound up in and governed by TWI leadership. That's why the dilemma of some CES followers and leaders sounds SO FAMILIAR to me. So…maybe to clarify my earlier comments let me add – I'm not accusing any of the CES leadership of being false apostles or false prophets. I am suggesting that some of the followers and leaders may have succumbed to a practice of faith that is NOT Christ-centered – but CES-leadership-centered.

T-Bone,

I dare say that are wise beyond your years.

(... must be something inside...)

Let me say again that it was ME and not John L

throwing out the titles of Apostle and Teacher.

John, as I recall over 15 years later (?!!)

began CES by emphasizing those same points you made.

Lot's of anti-heirarchy rhetoric.

Lot's and Lot's of " What a Friend we have in Jesus"

S&T never came close to emulating TWI's insistance on obeying leadership,

in my humble opinion,

and for the most part behaved as a para-church

that genuinely allowed local fellowships to be self-governing.

John, Mark, and John simply offered their support without wanting to control things.

An inner circle did develope,

as is the nature of organizations,

and perhaps did relegate the Lordship of Christ.

Sort of falling into the trap of

"What I say is The Word of God is What I say is the Will of God"

or

"Obeying me is just like obeying God"

I think this occured because they learned the hard way what happens

when you give a stage to over-opinionated loose cannons like me.

They became more cautious over who and what to endorse.

Then perhaps

they trusted too little in the active presence of the Lord Christ Jesus

and his ability to ' make his servants stand.'

...perhaps...

I don't know

but I do know Him who does,

and I pray we all get to know him

and trust him

more and more.

Thanks, E. Prophet – but I’m just like a kid with a new toy – I’ve only been coming to GSC for a year – and have really been getting into this whole thinking out loud thing and exploring other viewpoints – and from your posts it looks like you’re a pro at this already. Kick back…relax…check out old threads on topics that interest you. The GSC folks are great - there’s such a wealth of wisdom, experience, and different perspectives here!

...I find discussions on threads can sometimes be an evolutionary process…like our discussion has been here. Everybody is throwing ideas up on a screen…it’s like figuring out a puzzle – seeing how the pieces fit together. Sometimes the puzzle is simply the stated topic of the thread. And perhaps there’s another puzzle-solving process going on in someone’s head – the bigger picture – that’s true for me on many threads. You know – the “ah ha” moment, or figuring out why something always bugged me about this or that – really whatever helps me sort out my TWI experience is a good thing. Sometimes I find myself coming to a better understanding of something by following a GSC old timer as they think out loud. I may not come to the same conclusion as them – but by following their process of thought – I was able to whittle down some issue in my head to its core elements and could then make a better informed decision on it…So there’s a lot of freedom here at GSC – enjoy…explore…think.

over the years I've gotten hundreds of emails from people to my web site, and most have been anonymous. Regardless of whether they're signed or not, I try to answer them all carefully, with thought and consideration.

But at the same time, a few people use anonymity to be cruel, and say things they wouldn't say to a person face to face, with no thought of actually having a dialogue about something. So If that is the kind of response John Lynn imagines, I can see how he wouldn't be interested in hearing such comments. Perhaps it serves as an indirect reminder to be kind in comments and posts.

Or perhaps johnj, one should not live their life in a manner that causes them to be afraid to address people ...shrug

I see it two ways....

A) He is scared to death of people whom he cannot control through his religion.

B) He doesn`t give a damn about people outside of his religion.

Either way it isn`t flattering.

He is however really brave in slinging the mud and accusations when he doesn`t have to face people he denegrates and slanders..lol

Edited by rascal

Rascal, perhaps there is a C. here:

C. He is deathly afraid to openly debate his theology, because deep down, he knows it just isn't at all points true.

For the playing field to be even, his opponents must agree with what he believes, at least fundamentally.

Edited by Mr. Hammeroni

As to what is flying around cyberspace about me and my personal life, my email is jalces@aol.com and my home phone is 317-849-5707. If you know me and care about me, I’ll be glad to communicate with you. I will not, however, dialogue with anonymous people who lack the love and courage to identify themselves in interacting with me.

"If you know me and care about me.."

Kind of gives him a "select" audience.

We're not anonymous here; here we are a few hundred that were part of the same abusive cult that he was. Perhaps that's all he needs to know.

No, not anonymous, entirely.

I think he's afraid to step out of his little box, as far as his religion is concerned.

JohnJ, flying to Indiananapolis to have a face to face with John Lynn is out of the question due to financial and time constraints. I did, however, have a couple of long phone conversations with him and sent him some e-mails. I even used my real name, Johnny Jump-Up.

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

As far as I can tell, Mr. Lynn likes a controlled environment...one where people are sitting at his feet and hanging on his every word...

Of course, he won't find that here...on this website, we are all equals...speaking to each other on equal terms without any pretensions...nobody has any advantage of a title or position or a "leadership" role that makes what they say "more important"

There's no stage to stand on...no musical group to warm up the crowd...nobody gets an introduction, listing their accomplishments...

At the GreaseSpot Cafe, you speak your mind and engage with others on equal footing...apparently Mr Lynn chooses not to do that.

...and why? because we don't use our real names?...funny, that never stopped me from posting here...or you either...but it's too much for Mr Lynn to deal with...

I wonder why?

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

As to what is flying around cyberspace about me and my personal life, my email is jalces@aol.com and my home phone is 317-849-5707. If you know me and care about me, I’ll be glad to communicate with you. I will not, however, dialogue with anonymous people who lack the love and courage to identify themselves in interacting with me.
This is a logical fallacy. The identity or anonymity of the person has nothing to do with the validity of the message.