GreaseSpot Cafe

St Patty's Day

Lori

St Patty's DayEthnic LinksSt. Patty's Day

Well, I'm definitely Irish, and proud of it... I saw a guy with this huge green hat; it looked like a skyscraper on top of his head....had to ask him if it was stuffed....oh well, it looked that way to me! No! I wasn't partying just then!

Just had to ask...Who else is Irish and proud of it? If not, what are your other origins?

My Dad's side is French and Irish. My aunt who is a nun, did this huge family history..Definitely from Ireland...sorry can't remember where...(Yeah, she had fun picking at me while I was in twi...about how much I abundantly shared to the ministry)

My mom's side is Scotch, British, and Blackfoot Indian (high cheek-bones anyone?) from the St. Lawrence River across the top of NY State... My dad used to pick on my mom because she has a long nose. (from her indian background or so I'm told) We used to do these family films, and he always capped his movies with a final side-clip of her nose.....He'd always laugh...

Edited by Lori

Im primarily Scottish with a touch of German on my fathers side, and English/Welsh on my mothers side, with (im sure) the occasionally thrown in odd duck on both sides.

My Scot ancestors gave a whirl to Ireland for about 40 years, but there was antagonism toward the scots who had been moved in by the English so they then migrated after a short stay on to America in the early 1700's.

As far as I know not a drop of Irish blood, but St. Patrick was actually a native born Scotch lad, so I'll still take time to recognize his life and accomplishments, (quite the WOW he was :wink2: )

I'll be skipping the green beer though

I've got some Collins and Grady blood in my veins, but mostly my background is English.

Out of respect for the Irish among us and the little bit in me, I refrain from wearing orange on March 17th.

Here's my favorite thing about today:

KiltBlown.jpg

The bagpipes, not the butts! :who_me:

I guess we now have our answer to that age-old question about what men wear under their kilts.

This is from Dmiller on the Just Plain Silly thread-couldn't resist.

Father O'Malley rose from his bed. It was a fine spring day in his new parish.

He walked to the window of his bedroom to get a deep breath of the beautiful day outside.

He then noticed there was a jackass lying dead in the middle of his front lawn.

He promptly called the local police station. The exchange went like this ...

"Good morning, this is Sergeant Muldoon. How might I help you?"

"And the best of the day te yerself. This is Father O'Malley at St. Brigid's.

There's a jackass lying dead in me front lawn.

Would ye be so kind as to send a couple o' yer lads to take care of the matter?"

Sergeant Muldoon, considering himself to be quite a wit, replied with a smirk,

"Well now father, it was always my impression that you people took care of last rites!"

There was dead silence on the line for a moment.

Father O'Malley then replied, "Aye, tis certainly true,

but we are also obliged to notify the next of kin."

hehe, Always did love that joke.

My Mom's "Off the boat" Irish. She's little, and we call her the leprechaun, the shortest of us is ten inches taller than my mother--and we're all sufficiently scared of her. :evildenk:

My dad is quite a mixed bag. American mutt, you might be tempted to say. It would appear, though, my cheekbones and those of my eldest brother come straight from our Cherokee great-grandmother--if photographs can be used for such evidence.

and...for Mr. ham....

I'm wearing green just for today,

though where that is I cannot say.

For saints and sinners gone to bed

wear nothing but the drunkard's red.

Walk out with me and lift your glass,

there's no green moss on an Irish Lass.

Yours, jiggingly,

~QT

Happy St Patty's Day everyone!! :drink:

My mother was French and Irish, clan Coan. A black Irish clan that in ancient times apparently were friends with or guarded the King. (According to the coat of arms anyway).

My dad was German through and through.

The disagreements at our house were always a loud and boisterous affair. Never any violence mind you just really loud. (Mostly mom after dad had quetly pushed the right buttons so he could sit back and laugh while she got all worked up) :rolleyes:

As for wearing green...my eyes are green and I say that counts for something. :P

Eyesopen, it's great you have such an understanding of your family's background.

I'm with you as far as wearing green. My eyes are green, too.

:drink: What a day for green beer!

I don't know what most people think about St. Patrick, but the truth is something I never heard until I looked it up meself.

He was NOT Irish. He was from England and was kidnapped when he was 16 and brought to Ireland as a slave. After escaping 4 or 5 years later, he returned to England, but felt his calling was to return to Ireland to convert those nice folks, who were apparently in desperate need of help. He is responsible for started something like 300 churches in Ireland. However, I don't know about the snake thing or the gates of hell, etc. Sounds to me like he was an evangelist and followed his nose, as those English are likely to do. I, for one, am glad he did what he did. Though us Irish may be known for getting our "tempers" up, it may have been quite worse without Patrick's help. :eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

my mother - a geoghegan - went to county leitrim not too long ago to visit cousins. they were still talking about what a thief her great grandfather was. he stole a cow to buy two tickets to ellis island for him and his bride . my mother is also a fraser. she went to scotland to see the fraser castle and brought home many fraser plaid items. the other side is welsh and irish. and we also have some french in there.

but today everyone is irish !!!!!

--

May those who love us, love us.

And for those who don't love us,

May God turn their hearts.

And if he can not turn their hearts,

May he turn their ankles,

So we may know them by their limping.

May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live

:thinking:

My father came over from Ireland on the boat with a suitcase and some bagpipes

My mother came over from Ireland on a plane and got stopped in customs for having a dead goose in her luggage. The customs man asked her "What is this?" She replied, "Dinner" The customs man closed the suitcase and let her through

Speaking of green beer :drink: and Irish jokes:

>> Mick Flaherty had been sucking them up at Mahoney's bar all day, when he

>> finally staggered out into the light of day. As he stood on the sidewalk

>> getting stabilized, an abulance roared by -- bells ringing, lights flashing,

>> horn blaring.

>> Sure, and Mick took out runnin' after it. A hundred yards, 200 yards,

>> a quarter mile... an' then his legs and lungs gave out.

>> As Mick sank into the gutter, he shook his fist at the rapidly

>> disappearing vehicle and exclaimed, " Aw right then, yer can keep yer

>> damn' ice cream!"

Happy St. Patty's Day

A5155D-md.jpg

My father came over from Ireland on the boat with a suitcase and some bagpipes

My mother came over from Ireland on a plane and got stopped in customs for having a dead goose in her luggage. The customs man asked her "What is this?" She replied, "Dinner" The customs man closed the suitcase and let her through

Paw --- that is TOO COOL!! (the *dinner*)

ps -- your dad brought his music with him. I love it.

can't get more irish than that paw ! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

--

"O'Shanta McLachaseetay

For Yea, me lads and lassies-------------"

Sorry. Got a bit carried away then,didn't I?

Nope. No Irish here. Nary e'en a wee bit.

ohmygod waysider you have a gaelic tongue ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!

I do like to pick Irish fiddle tunes though. Does that count?

:biglaugh:

The Irish aren't too particular on who they adopt...as long as they are fun! :D Now if you can if you can drink a lot and still stand or fight well then you can date our women folk; if you can do both...well then we'll bypass the dating and just make you one of the family. :biglaugh: :P

Lori- I knew about the black Irish part mostly because my Grandmother's hair was black as midnight...so I ask "How come?" The rest of it about the coat of arms took years to figure out. There aren't a lot of dependable records that go back very far in years and there are so many variations of the names, as clan members attempted to hide themselves from persecution. Still trying to find our original tartan. Grandma refused to teach us anything Irish. She always just said "We are American now!" She had no way of knowing how the world would change. :)

"O'Shanta McLachaseetay

For Yea, me lads and lassies-------------"

Sorry. Got a bit carried away then,didn't I?

Nope. No Irish here. Nary e'en a wee bit.

Fess up...you touched that Blarney stone one too many times didn't you!!!

:biglaugh:

:eusa_clap: Ah dear laddie, just put some green velcroe on that there fiddle 0 'yers!