GreaseSpot Cafe

For Music Lovers

polar bear

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Polar Bear,

That's the nice "clap your hands" kind of Gospel song I like to listen to. I don't know a whole lot about Gospel music.. just what I like. But I know its not everyone's cup-a-tea. Are you familiar with the musical Purlie? Its an all black cast and has some good tunes in it along these lines.

sudo

Sudo- there is a movie out, called "The Song Writer, a true story about how a woman travelled throug out the south to record and study all gospel and mountain music.....great movie, I saw it about 5 yrs ago, and it was a few years old then. I tried to google it and checked Netflix to get you the info..maybe you can try Blockbuster..

very compelling story.

THe Scottish were actually the first ones to bring Gospel to America, as highlighted in this movie.

That's the nice "clap your hands" kind of Gospel song I like to listen to. I don't know a whole lot about Gospel music.. just what I like.

I can see it now!!! :biglaugh: Dr Sudo, cruising down the two lane blacktop going from Memphis to Oxford... gospel music blaring, windows down, car swerving slightly as he steers with his knees, singing at the top of his lungs, clapping his hands and swaying back and forth like Ray Charles...

...and that's prior to partaking of shine.

Edited by Tom Strange

LAE:

there is a movie out, called "The Song Writer, a true story about how a woman travelled throug out the south to record and study all gospel and mountain music.....great movie,

I tried googling and Netflixing that every which way I could think of and came up with nothing, are you sure that is the right title?

if you can remember a better/different title or who may have been in it or directed it, or released it--or anything googlable really id appreciate it. I definitely would like to see that one...tks

Likeaneagle,

Re:"The Scottish were actually the first ones to bring Gospel to America, as highlighted in this movie."

I don't doubt you on that but the Gospel that makes me want to raise my hands, stomp my feet and carry on is more African in origin. Maybe Tom Strange has the title we would recognize?? He certainly has me pegged about "cruising down the two lane blacktop going from Memphis to Oxford... gospel music blaring, windows down, car swerving slightly as he steers with his knees, singing at the top of his lungs, clapping his hands and swaying back and forth like Ray Charles..."

Knowing that some folks hate music that other folks love.. I'm posting "Walk Him Up" from the musical Purlie thinking surely there are others here who love this kind of music. Let me paint the story of what is happening:

Ol' Cap'n Cotchipee the white overseer is dead. He has been a big sinner but his glorious funeral shakes the halls of Big Bethel, the black church he sought to destroy. But the saints showing no racial bias are trying to pray him into Heaven anyways "walk him up the stairs"... "Save him from the fires, Lord" etc...

The beginning of this is low volume so turn your speakers up a bit. Click HERE! and like Polar Bear said about his music post... this tune doesn't REALLY get rocking until halfway in!

sudo