GreaseSpot Cafe

Takit! - Anybody have any of the music?

JavaJane

I have a copy of their album. Cover & all somewhere in a box in my basement. Its the old-style vinyl disk and I don't have a turntable anymore

I also have:

"We're on God's Team" by Joyful Noise

"There's a Place" by Paul Vergilio

and a few others. One of these days I'll get around to getting a turntable & transferring them to some modern media. Not a huge priority....

TAKIT was a pretty good idea, I thought, but they never really went anywhere with it.

They were a "superband" made up of some of the best guys from Way Productions. Dave Garabaldi on drums, Skip Mesquite - sax, Dan Moran - Lead Guitar/Vocals, & Dean Ellenwood - Bass gutar/Vocals. All of them actually sang except Dave.

They were an exceptionally talented group. But to me (not that I'm any kind of music expert) their music sounded forced and overly contrived, as if they were pushing to hard to "be something" that matched their name.

Like, they had this theme song than went with the group's name, which was in itself a play on words; TAKIT.

The lyrics were something like:

"Come on and TAKE it,

Don't have to take it no more,

You can really MAKE it,

Don't have to fake it no more..."

Huh?

Never really floated anybody's boat. Their run was sorta like when you've heard that this new blockbuster movie that's coming out is gonna be SOOOOOOOO GREAT! You get your expectations built up sooooo much that whenb you finally see it, its disappointing - - even if it was really great, its sort of a dud, because your expectations were soo high that nothing really could reach it.

Plus. The guys in TAKIT had such a great track record with some of the songs they'd written and performed through the years, the stuff they did in TAKIT just didn't measure up.

My guess is that they were being pushed by LCM & the whole TAKIT thing to me seemed like when you invite all of the same people to the same place and have another party in hope of recreating the really super special time you had together, "that one great time."

Just wasn't the same.

They put TAKIT together on the heels of what you might say was the "golden era" of Way Productions. Way Prod had just done a really successful national tour where that had put together a musical with dancers, singers, etc.. It was really well recieved and I guess they were trying to build on the success from that.

Branded had won second place in this Wrangler Country Music Showdown. It was like Star Search meets American Idol for country western bands. Rumor had it that the band that won it was Sawyer Brown. Whomever it was, Branded was second. They had performed at the finals, I think it was at the Grand Ol' Opry & came in second. LCM said, (of course he would...) that Branded had been shafted and the thing was actually fixed and "they" wanted the band that won to win.

The winner got a big time music contract, album deal, etc. Branded's participation in it was part of TWI's getting the Word into Culture. At that time in the ministry LCM was fawning all over pretty much every famous believer who was involved in the ministry & making them rock star type of celebrities in TWI.

There was also rumors that TWI, itself had a problem with BRANDED getting the record deal because of the money - as in who would get it - who would get rich??

At any rate, that era was during the beginnings of the end. When one would have thought that we could build on the momentum of stuff things just deteriorated and went nowhere.

I think it shows where the ministry really was, especially when here we are today when American Idol can make a person a national household name just by puttin' them on TV for a few minutes & having them butcher a song.

Actually, they weren't pushed by LCM so much as they were pushed and promoted by Vince Finnegan (if memory serves me correctly).

Yeah. it was Vince. ... an LCM of a different color - still an LCM.

At that time in the ministry there were a few of the tip top guys who were each, in their own way trying to replicate the success VP had in directing Way Productions. They were all the same in that they were not going about it in the right way. Besides., LCM had his fingers in EVERYthing that had anything to do w/ the ministry on a national level.

Even though it was "Vince's idea," it went nowhere w/o LCM's approval.

Neither of them were producers. They didn't really understand the concept of executive producer, they were too involved in the creative process. One of the worst things rampant in the ministry during that time was that leaders at pretty much every level of the ministry felt that God would give them revelation concerning things they had no talent in. even worse yet things that were not their business nor actual responsibility to know.

VPW actually had a knack for working w/ creative people, LCM and Vince didn't have it.

Edited by HCW

Here's a story for you ---

I forget which year it was now (early 1980's), but Takit came to Minneapolis to play a gig.

I had heard that the very beginning of their show was awesome.

In other words -- something NOT to be missed.

Dean E. used to be my twig leader back in Indiana;

he was a part of that group, and I wanted to be there.

I worked a 9 to 5 job then, and couldn't get off early.

My (then) wife was able to leave work that day,

and go down early with the others from here.

I couldn't, and neither could D@n@ Lynn (I think I remember that correctly)

Minneapolis is 150 (+) miles from Duluth -- with freeway all the way there.

Back then the speed limit was 55 mph.

She (Dana) had to work until the same quitting time I did (5 pm).

It was up to me to get myself (and her), to the concert on time (7:30 pm),

if we were to get there at the beginning of it all.

The short of the long of it all is --- I was doing about 85+ MPH,

after I picked her up from work --

when we hit the interstate/ freeway, hell-bent-for-leather (as it were).

Back then, speeds on the inter-state's were so RIDICULOUSLY SLOW --

One truck driver (seeing me coming up fast in his mirror) ---

actually opened his driver's door, in an attempt to slow me down,

as I was passing him in the fast lane.

We made it to Minneapolis just fine. I ALWAYS ask for directions, if I am unsure.

I forget where Takit was playing that night, but it was a prominent venue,

so I was directed in the correct direction immediately.

Again ---the short of the long of it is --

Not only did I find the place they were playing ---

but as I pulled up in front of the joint ----

someone was vacating a parking space,

and guess who decided to *Takit*??

:spy:

Needless to say -- I saw the beginning of their concert.

And yes --- It was worth it!!!

:dance:

Edited by dmiller

Hey DMiller, I was at that concert too! I had been in Fargo, ND that year on my interim year. If I am not mistaken, wasn't there a big protest there by trinitarian Lutherans and such? I remember seeing this one old hippy chick with a poster with a picture of Adolph Hitler on one side, and a picture of VPW on the other. And the caption read: "Adolph Hitler/Victor Paul Wierwille: Nazi Germany all over again?" I remember talking to the woman and asking her if she were a trinitarian or a Lutheran, and she replied that she was an atheist, and really didn't know much aboput The Way or it's doctrine. She told me that she was a "professional protester" and went to as many rallies as possible, and in this case was being paid by a local Lutheran church. And so, I assured her that VPW was not "bringing back the Third Riech". And she smiled and said that she was glad to hear it. But then, she went right back in to "protesting" and shouting some slogan at we mystified Wayfers. It was pretty funny, really...

I knew Branded was never going to win the country contest. People would get very upset with me at H.Q. when they asked what I thought. Why wouldn't they win?

Because, when they won the Ohio state contest, they wouldn't travel all over the state play - like most bands do and are expected to do. They did what, 2, 3 or 4 gigs in a bar here and there? Ohio wants to see this awesome country band that won, but they won't go to the "natural man" people and play? What is wrong with them?

When they were intereviewed on the radio, Harve was the spokesman, and of course, he had to "witness."

So, you have a Jesus country band that only plays a few dates. I would imagine to the contest people it was pretty obvious they would not push and do what Wrangler would expect them to do if they won.

VP always talked about "Word in culture" - but everytime there was a true opportunity, he always reined people in. This was no exception.

I heard they came in 3rd or 4th, I think at the Nationals at the Opry.

Of course, no one at HQ could believe they lost.

Let's face it, the music biz, is and always will be about merchandise. Your product is your album. You tour to promote it, to sell it and to sell and t-shirts and other swag.

VP would not have let them do that, and Wrangler certainly wasn't going to pick them if they wouldn't tour - I can almost guarantee you the judges gave them a good showing but knew not to pick them.

So I don't derail another thread - anybody out there have examples of Takit music? It was before my time, and I'm curious.

Thanks!

I have some Takit stuff and a bunch of other stuff as well. So does Rainbowsgirl (I got a lot from her) and Pawtucket has some as well.

I have the Takit cassette but I've been trying to get the first record (on vinyl) for years. In fact, I'll buy any old TWI vinyl if anyone wants to sell it. Otherwise some mp3's would be awesome!

By the way (I mean uh) has anyone posted these former way productions members' myspace pages? Sorry if it's been done. I was excited to see the Press Down page. there are four songs and some amazing video footage.

http://www.myspace.com/presseddownshakentogetherrunningover

http://www.myspace.com/billyfalcon

Billy’s daughter Rose

http://www.myspace.com/rosefalconfriends

http://www.myspace.com/johnprine

Joe Fair’s son:

http://www.myspace.com/davidfair

steve perez:

http://www.myspace.com/dtensionbeats

Edited by Georgio Jessio

Does anyone know if Joe has CD versions of the 2 albums for sale and where?(Pressed Down)

Thanks Georgio for posting those links. Pressed Down was always my favorite. I thought it was fun to see there were audience shots in the videos. I keep looking to see if I see anyone I know, but so far, no one.

• 1 year later...

:dance:

Hi I am new to this site and actually found it through a search engine. Someone was looking for a band called

Takit, and I am a record shop and someone sold me some vinyl this weekend and a 10" vinyl version was in that stack.

Can you tell me a bit about this group, I would love just to give it to someone on this site that may want it as I am in a college town and

do not think the kids would be into it. Thanks , Heather at The Record Lounge East Lansing, Michigan

Check ebay, type in Wierwille. It show up from time to time!

The thing about TAKIT was that they were an experiment. They wanted to try reaching the young people with general positive messages, without specifically mentioning God or Jesus. Then when kids wanted to know more, they'd witness to them. They were actually well received in the ministry at the time, and they put on a heck of a live performance, as I recall. After a couple of years they went to southern California to try and break into the secular music business. I heard they built up a pretty fair local following in LA, but didn't get beyond that.