GreaseSpot Cafe

Kassie and Monsters

Nottawayfer

ROFLMAO! When my oldest was three, we were playing "Go Fish" with her grandpa. She would ask for cards and I wouldn't have them (really!) and it just to happened that the card I would pick from the pile was the card she had asked for...

Her words to her grandfather...."She's p i s sing me up!" :biglaugh:

Now I can tell them I'm gonna' kick someone's ask!

My grandson was riding along peacefully in the back of my car in his little car seat, babbling to himself (he's got a slight speech problem we're working on), and I couldn't understand a word he was saying, wasn't really paying attention, until out of the blue and clear as a bell, I hear "F***!"

"What did you just say?" I asked.

"Nuthin'" was his reply.

"Well, don't say that again!" I admonished.

I don't find it amusing when little children use bad language. Why would anyone think it was cute? They obviously picked it up from hearing it from adults, unless they heard it from some other two year old with a potty mouth... that picked it up from the adults in THEIR household. Or maybe the supervising adults (I won't say 'parents' as odds are she's not living with both biological parents) allows the child to watch 'R' rated HBO movies and the like. Pretty disgusting in my book.

Naw folks.. this isn't cute. Kids didn't used to even hear this kind of language before they were teens. Now they're using bad language at age 2 and birth control at age 12. And folks think its cute??

sudo

I didn't necessarily think it was "cute" when my grandson used the F-bomb. I am pretty sure I know where he learned it and it wasn't from me.

Unfortunately, culture and language have changed in the past generation or two, and not for the better. Much worse language that what has been discussed here is commonplace in our society, e.g. certain popular "styles" of "music" where sexual intercourse is loudly described. and not in medical terminology, either. The uncensored versions are everywhere. One evening my dog and I were going for a walk and on a very nice street in the town where we formerly lived, there were 4-5 young teenage "men" messing around with a car, and the stereo was blasting some "rap" "song" wherein the "rapper" (?) was discussing in very vulgar terms one of his body parts best left undiscussed in any location other than a doctor's office. It could be heard for at least a block. I was ready to vomit by the time I was out of earshot.

Walk through the corridors of any suburban or urban high school. Then wonder where little brother and little sister are learning such awful language. My grandson learns it from other kids at preschool and unfortunately at least one of his parents. (who didn't learn it from me, either!)

WG

I can understand the reason why some think kids cussing is not cute. However, if we are talking about raising kids in a manner which is healthy to them, a cuss word here or there isn't going to taint them.

Not being good parents will harm a child much more. Parents who belittle kids and ruin their self-worth and spirit is much more damaging. I just heard a woman belittle a pre-teen girl at the store last night. She was playing with a ball in the aisle. She was having fun, and she was not disruptive in any manner. It was not busy in the store. Her mother came in the aisle telling her what a dumb @$$ she was. I was livid and wanted to kick that woman's arse. The girl came up and apologized to us. I told the girl, "Don't worry honey, you weren't bothering us." Her mother said "don't encourage the stupid @$$." I said "With your degrading name calling, there's no way she could have enough self-worth to live up to YOUR expectations!!"

Edited by Nottawayfer

Good for you, Notta!

My experience is that children with two parents cuss as frequently as those from single parent homes. And in all probability, little Kassie won't be saying, "Kick his ask," again.

Kids didn't used to even hear this kind of language before they were teens.

Aw, cmon Sudo... you don't think this is really true, do you?

My 52-yr-old sister pulled a "Kassie" when she was very young, repeating a swear word I'm certain she heard from my father, right in front of company when she lost control of her bouncy ball. Everyone gasped, and then they smiled. She was corrected, and my dad learned to be more careful about what he said and when. (well, for awhile anyway)

And let's face it, one of the reasons "A Christmas Story" (set in the 1950's if I'm not mistaken) is such a funny movie is because so many of us can relate to the things depicted in it, including the working-class-stiff Dad who has a sailor-mouth, but everyone in the family denies it.

No question HBO and DVDs and the Internet and absentee-parenting have changed the whole complexion of kids' behavior, and there are a lot of really screwed up little ones out there. But I don't get the sense from either of these videos that the adults were either horrible parents or encouraging their kids to use that kind of language. There is a big difference between a toddler accidentally stumbling on the s-word as they babble, and the woman who lives down the street from me who screams cuss words at her kids every single day as she loads them into her van. Those kids are all of six and seven and are already lawless little vandals. I wish I could get social services to care. But so far she hasn't done anything "bad" enough. Geez.

Edited by TheHighWay

Highway,

Re:"Aw, cmon Sudo... you don't think this is really true, do you?"

You don't think so? Then listen to the clip again when the mom has obviously now gone and gotten her camcorder and baits the little girl to use that language again.. only this time for the camera while mom giggles through the whole thing. My mom told me that she had never heard the "F" word until she was in high school and even then it took a while for her to know what it meant. I was in junior high before hearing the "D" word for a man's penis and didn't know what it meant either. And I don't think its fair to just say that my mom and I were ignorant. What I'm telling you is that crude language was not used routinely in not so many years past.

And your point is that children using bad language is no big deal if the parents are OK?? But if the parents aren't OK like your neighbor lady, then bad language can get them reported to Human Services if they use too many cuss words?

I'm saying that the use of crude language by everyone and laughing at it when used by children who have just learned to make complete sentences is no laughing matter. It's a coarsening of our culture and when you accept vulgar language then you accept other unsavory apsects of society that used to be univerally condemned as a culture... people intentionally having out of wedlock children. Divorce for little or no cause (we just don't love each other anymore), premarital sex as a standard in TV shows etc... where the end result is that our children grow up more crude and apt to do crude things.

That's my opinion.

sudo

I'm sorry it was such a distasteful thing for some of you. I thought it was kind of cute. We all have different opinions. At the end of the day, I don't think that makes anyone any less of a person than any other. It was the little girl's logic of the monster coming through the TV that made it so funny for me. And the fact that she said "ASK" as opposed to @$$.

I remember Aaron coming home from pre-school or kindergarten, proud as punch and showing me his middle finger. Of course he didn't really understand what it meant. I also recall getting a phone call from a teacher when he was in second grade for dropping the C-word a few times, again he had no idea what it meant. There is something to be said for telling our kids ahead of time what words are and are not appropriate and/or when they may be inappropriate, it probably would have saved Aaron some embarassment.

Jacob could make a sailor blush when his big brother has pushed him far enough and while I don't like it much, I also recognize he uses it as a defense mechanism because he can't punch Aaron's lights out yet. I don't make a big deal out of it. To me, the bigger issue isn't the words being used but the fact that they are fighting. And Jacob knows he will get in trouble if he says the words at school. He understands if his friend's parents catch wind of him using such language they may not let him play with their kids anymore. I am confident he will figure it all out and get a handle on it - he doesn't use the words with any kind of habit. Sometimes, making a big deal out of these words only encourages kids to use them more.

Same thing with sex. Keeping it all hush hush and under the rug may only add to their curiosity. I don't allow my kids to watch sexually graphic shows, although I don't shelter them from all inuendo either. We talk and talk and talk about this topic. I want them to learn from me, not the kids at school. I want them to feel comfortable coming to me with questions. I want them to feel comfortable with being honest with me when they start dating and exploring their sexuality. I would rather know they are sexually active and using proper protection than hide my head in the sand and lose one of them to HIV.

I won't encourage them to be sexually active as unmarried young men, but I recognize that ultimately the choice will be theirs and it is better to accept that which I cannot control and keep communications open, than to try to control what I can't and shut all doors to communication.

Well, I find I may have to change my tune a bit on this...

I just saw this morning that Will Ferrill now has a short feature out on You-Tube where he plays a tenant late on his rent, being yelled at and cussed out by his alcoholic landlord... played by a sweet little two-year-old girl !!!

Sudo... I cannot argue with you over something like that. It's gross manipulation of a sweet little kid. Apparently the tot is the daughter of Ferrill's business partner, and they think its funny that she is currently at an age where she will repeat anything she is told to say, but then "can't remember it" later. Her mom stood there and coached her to say some very vulgar things over and over. Frankly, I find that kind of creepy.

I guess I have a double standard about this... I'll have to think about it some more. I found the videos posted here kinda cute and mostly innocent. Whereas I find what Ferrill and company have done to be just wrong!

It may have more to do with where you grew up, Sudo. I grew up in NYC, and although my parents didn't cuss (or they cussed in another language ;)) I certainly heard cussing. I didn't cuss until I was in my late teens - but then I really took to it for a while...Then I realized that it made me sound less intelligent, so I geared it back. Now I don't cuss often, but when I do, I do it on purpose- not out of habit. (Not that it matters to you, neccesarily. I just happen to feel that if I am going to use certain words that it should be intentional and not because I have no other, better words at my command.)

I would never coach a child to cuss, and I didn't have my kids repeat the mistake when they slipped up in a manner like I posted earlier.

I just don't think that Kassie cussed. She said an inappropriate word for a child her age. Granted, her mother did coach her to repeat it, but you have NO idea as to their home situation. Mom may have been recording it so that she could show it to her husband who is in Iraq, or for a grandparent, or just because it's one of those moments.

Now, I posted a baby who babbles and adds a sound that comes out like, "Sh itt." Again, this may just be an innocent situation. There is no other indication that this baby talks yet. My oldest "said" the word "Mama" just seconds after she was born. The nurses heard it and commented on it. We both know that she made a sound and we all placed a meaning to it - she didn't "say" anything. In the case of the babbling baby on the cell phone, I think that someone just wanted to get the babbling on tape and the offensive sound just happened to be in there.