GreaseSpot Cafe

Ostrichization

T-Bone

The other day Tonto mentioned an interesting word she read about – ostrichization. Urban Dictionary defines ostrichization as the act of placing one's head in the sand.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...=ostrichization

That got us talking about positive thinking. For TWI folks - it's associated with the law of believing.

Positive thinking tends to be goal-oriented. Attention focuses more on the goal itself rather than on the necessary steps to get there. Positive thinking typically elevates a goal above analytical thinking – and as a rule, ignores any negative aspects. Hiding one's head in the sand may bring "peace of mind" – but it is not real and throws caution to the wind. Perhaps to the TWIt-head, positive thinking is the preferred operating mode – to achieve optimum results from the law of believing.

According to PFAL – "fear is sand in the machinery of life." I remember some TWI teachings defining "fear" as "false evidence appearing real." Talk about ostrichization! It is the fear of reality to hide one's head in the sand and ignore the machinery of life. Are the blisters on your fingers false evidence that touching a hot stove is a fearful experience for your skin?

I prefer realistic thinking. It's process-oriented. There are goals in realistic thinking – but they may go through several revisions as you continue to process the data. Realistic thinking looks at ALL the data – whether it's positive, negative or neutral.

A sensible version of positive thinking might be the genuine confidence you acquire by due diligence - you've checked out an issue from all angles – and now you're ready to act. I usually have a better attitude about handling a difficult situation if I've done my homework – and my idea of what's going on is reality-based!

Edited by T-Bone

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Fear is sand in the machinery of life."

(A quote that VPW borrowed for someone who attained a higher level of notability in the world's eyes than VPW ever did.)

Anyhow, I'm glad I finally realize that I've been misreading the actual quote for all these years.

Ya see, I thought he said "Fear is a SANDWICH in the machinery of life."

I could never figure out if it was a PB&J or a BLT. Maybe even a Fluffernutter.

It suddenly became clear to me that it must have been bologna.

Ya live and ya learn.

Sometimes the believing images of victory are just below the surface.

Ostriches evolved from another bird millions of years ago. Their ancestors flew high in the sky, seeing the whole picture. One day, some of the birds decided that there was more to see underground. So they flew down and stuck their heads in holes. They couldn't find what they were looking for but thought they shouldn't give up, that would be a sign of weakness. They even stopped associating with the other birds that stayed in the sky. The birds that stuck their heads in the ground began to venerate those who could keep their heads underground the longest. These birds would be given "Double honor" and more mating rights. As generations passed the competition intensified. Those birds who couldn't keep their heads underground long enough (according the the standard) were given one warning, then thrown to the crocodiles. As time went on the ostriches developed adaptations which allowed them to seek where the prize couldn't be found. But they pressed for the mark, raising their offspring in the way that they should go. Today, these bird's descendants are the ostriches we know (gnosko) and love (agape).

Mr. B - Have you finally gone over to the evolution camp?

:biglaugh:

This is my biggest gripe with twi - not seeing and admitting that something happened and it was wrong! At least the Catholic church ADMITTED there were cases of abuse, and that they were wrong about the earth being flat. twi continues to plug along implying that there was a one time consensual affair and that they have removed the problem. Now they are working on removing all traces of the offending party's existence from their history.

That is what I find the most sickening - the inability to apologize and say that they were wrong.

Excathedra"guess we should fear the sand, eh ?" :biglaugh: – For anyone who has that phobia I recommend a day at the beach – good therapy.

Out There – I had the hardest time pronouncing "ostrichization" – and finally quit saying it out loud…Whether it's talked about or not – ostrichization has become an underground movement.

Hammeroni – I guess colonization by ostriches is possible…there's probably a word for that…if not, I'm sure you'll make one up!

Polar Bear – Well, there is a Grammar Nazis thread…now we're talking about the Ostrich Nazis!

Waysider – Maybe fear is a sandwich in the machinery of life – and I'm stuck in a pickle…I hadn't thought of a Fluffernutter in years :biglaugh: !

Bolshevik – Wasn't the evolutionary history of the ostrich first written in Aramaic and not Greek?

Java Jane – The principle of ostrichization comes in handy for a lot of things, don't ya think.

Edited by T-Bone

I thought sand was fear in the machinery of life? I guess i'll get ostraphocated for that one. Maybe if I admitt that I have been Colon ifactataed all these millenium the naziphocators who have been fornicators will spare me from Auschwitz-ization.

LOL Thanks for the chuckles everyone!! :eusa_clap:

In some ways this is one of the biggest problems I am still dealing with after 2 years. Wanting to stay in a false reality and not see the real picture. (The Shunnamite woman example of all is well--when it IS NOT.

Hammeroni - :biglaugh: I get your point in post # 12 and 14 – that bird needs a Cranial Rectal Extraction to get rid of its crappy outlook on life.

Another Spot – I agree. By their very nature TWI's simplistic formulas are unrealistic – they are based on assumptions/viewpoints that ignore reality.

Out There:biglaugh: You are on a roll, my friend! I am recommending to Hammeroni your immediate Knighthood!

Penguin – I can relate. I am a natural worry wart. When I got into TWI – I worked on suppressing my natural tendency to check/double check/triple check stuff – buying into that positive-thinking-has-got-it-all-covered BS. I mentioned realistic thinking at the end of post # 1 because that seems to harness my "worrisome energy". I check out the whole spectrum of data [positive, negative, neutral...even other viewpoints] on something I'm concerned about – identify that which I can control and that which I can't. Maybe it's because I no longer have to maintain that image of "the super-believer who can do anything" – that I have no problem accepting what I can't control. It's weird but – by doing that I have tremendous peace of mind - my "worry meter" gives me a good readout on the "status report" in my head.

Edited by T-Bone

hmm. Last person I did this with lost an ear, but don't worry, hold perfectly still.

*ham wields rusty sword*

"Out There, I knight thee co-ruler of the relm, to smite with chuckles and laughs, as oftenth as thou wishedeth, as long as you both shall live. Say, "I do"."

*thud*

:biglaugh:

Edited by Mr. Hammeroni

Yikes!...Just an aside to you folks at home, Hamm has been acting a little edgy lately...He is handy to have around for holiday meals though - I don't care what you throw at him - turkey, duck, ostrich, emu, t-bones, hamm - he slices, he dices, he can even make julian fries...And that's just his warm up act that he does bare-handed - wait till you see what he does with a knife!

Edited by T-Bone

I do hope you've had your tetanus shot - and for that matter anyone else you've knighted.

Edited by T-Bone