GreaseSpot Cafe

What it was...

ChasUFarley

Someone recently sent me a link to PDSTRO's MySpace page and we've been listening to the awesome music... sorry to say, but that was BEFORE my time in TWI, but man - WHAT MUSIC! Nothing beats it!

If TWI had that spirit today, I'd consider going back. Seriously.

It's not just the music that's a turn on, but the knowing that you know, being a real person, THE LOVE - AGAPE, youknowwhatimean... the passion of the Word...

What it was... it was really something once, wasn't it?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man, I loved Pressed Down, and that song in particular. Also, "All The Little Children". That one makes me cry. Glad you love their tunes also ChasU. I listened to them live all the time back in the day. One time though, I saw LCM ream them out while they were on stage because he thought the song "I am A Leaf (on a mighty tree)" was too "sissified" or some crapola. It was rude man, really rude. And that Joe Fair, what a voice the man had/has, and their three part vocal harmonies made my heart just sing! I think my overall favorite by Pressed Down was "The Old Brownstone". "The windows were boarded on the old brownstone, to look at the place, ya figured no one was home....."

JN & PDSTRO made great music in my opinion, capturing the true heart of a genuine believer who loved God, loved his brothers and sisters in Christ, and truly desired to selflessly serve the body of Christ. They inspired many people to love and to serve God, and epitomized the hopes and desires of the basic believer, who with joy, was discovering his identity in Christ.

TWI did a super job of squelching love, distorting the identity of the individual believer and his relationship with the true God, and extinguishing the fire to serve. They replaced it with the robotic, mechanical, commercialized, homogenized, corrupted, mindless drivel that you see today.

There is no comparison between those early folks and the heartless, empty trash on stage at the WOW Auditorium today.

Craig was a great one to destroy that kind of inspiration and inspired music.

I will never forget the time in the top floor of Wierwille library when he did that to one of my wonderful Corps brothers, Jimmy Cxrrol. Jimmy was a great acoustical guitarist with a gift for songwriting. Jimmy had written a song which expressed thankfulness to Jesus as his Lord. He was in the middle of the debut of this awesome song which we were all enjoying, when Craig stopped him in the middle of it and tore him apart for a good half hour in front of us, because he objected to the lyrics.

What an @sshole.

It was that kind of idiotic crap that killed the inspiration and musicality inherent in our musicians.

Craig, and those who were in position to level the most criticism against the musicians, of course, had NO MUSICAL TRAINING WHATSOEVER, and couldn't carry a tune in a bucket or write a frikin limeric, much less an inspired work of music.

No wonder many grew tired, and if their flame of inspiration was not totally quenched, packed up their guitars and left.

Catcup..I agree with you and I was there when that happened to Jimmy C. I loved the early music having gotten in twi i n 1972. We know each other...we hitch hiked from Emporia together to somewhere while in residence!

Know who I am? Anyway, the early music was fabulous.

chas- I would go back as well if I could trust again? the heart of that ministry..but I got a tell ya....if I ever saw another twi leadership hurt or lie again to me or another brother..I know my heart would brake into small pieces....I couldnt handle that.....

Amen- only if it is God inspired..

Edited by likeaneagle

Someone recently sent me a link to PDSTRO's MySpace page and we've been listening to the awesome music... sorry to say, but that was BEFORE my time in TWI, but man - WHAT MUSIC! Nothing beats it!

If TWI had that spirit today, I'd consider going back. Seriously.

It's not just the music that's a turn on, but the knowing that you know, being a real person, THE LOVE - AGAPE, youknowwhatimean... the passion of the Word...

What it was... it was really something once, wasn't it?

I agree that it was really good music but consider going back?...not in a million years.

I was there during the early days when Pressed Down, Good Seed and others really played some excellant music and inspired a lot of people...and yes, Catcup hit the nail on the head...behind the great music and the inspired hearts of a lot of young people stood the egotistical Wierwille and Martindale...

I don't believe that there ever were any "good old days"...it's a myth that has been romanticized upon. The foundation was built upon sand from the very beginning when Vic saw the snow on the gaspumps.

...What we see today is the fruit that grew from that original tree...those who were filled with the spirit of God and lived honestly and with love have departed for greener pastures...

Oh the fear..

I think they knew the power of the music.. what brought people into the vey very well may lead them out.

I remember what they did to St*vey K*y, relegating her works to the "possessed" pile.. at least practically. Almost made it out that she was trying almost to lead people from God himself.

Seems those who didn't knuckle under and produce vey elevator music just kind of went away..

remember this great one?

'sitting by the fireside

reading the word

i've found pleasure there

so i'll stay.'

great tune

who did it??

I believe that song was done by "Agape", the British Way Prod band. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure of it. That one was my very favorite Agape song...

I believe that song was done by "Agape", the British Way Prod band. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure of it. That one was my very favorite Agape song...
I believe that you're correct JL.

I met the Agape lads and lasses once. The Way Home that I lived in was pretty close to Kennedy Airport, so we had the responsibility of hosting some of the overseas Way Corps or other wayfers on their way in or out of the U.S. - one of the Wierwille sons-in-law and most of Agape showed up just in time for me to feed them greasy home fries and bacon and eggs one morning.

That's the way TWI was when I first got involved in 1983. It makes me feel better about getting involved (even though I believe I still would have left if it was still like that). It really did turn in to a mindless cult didn't it? The music now is not inspirational, but you can see those guys were playing with love. I got an email with that link, and I wondered who sent it.

THe music was great--there were some great belivers, some great Corps with hearts that brimmed full of love and true Christ like intentions. These people , most of whom I haven't seen in 20 years I still treasure the memories of.

THe reign of LCM after the FOG years still I find much of ittto be incomprehensible.

I think of the women in my church and the men, who of a Sunday morn will stand before us in sacrament meetingand pour out their hearts with song and instruments. Many a hand has brought handkerchief to the eyes of both male and female in the listening congregation.

Music --the hymns, anthems, and gospel songs, engages the full brain , both right and left sides. Music has converted the hearts of many where words have failed. Music has brought solace and comfort to many a grieving heart.

To hinder or cause this most powerful of mediums to bed less than it should--does a disservice not only to the performers but too the audience.

Was LCM so insecure that any indication that another believer possessed talents he lacked had to be squashed???? I cannot imagine where my life would be if it were not for those friends and aqauintances who possess musical and other talents I lack. The eye of the body, the hand of the body, the foot of the body all working together as one.

Catcup..I agree with you and I was there when that happened to Jimmy C. I loved the early music having gotten in twi i n 1972. We know each other...we hitch hiked from Emporia together to somewhere while in residence!

Know who I am? Anyway, the early music was fabulous.

Ariel--

Forgive me if I cannot remember exactly. I do remember hitching back to WCof E with a sweet gal from somewhere we had been (Texas? HQ? I can't recall). I think I remember us singing "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" to someone who was giving us a ride in a sports car. As I remember, the guy was sloshed, driving drunk and fast, and I was actually terrified, while trying to keep my cool. I think he was a pro baseball player for the KC Royals, wasn't he? Can't remember his name. But I can't remember who you are for the life of me-- I can't picture you yet, darn it.

Groucho--

While I agree that VP's foundation was built upon sand, I do believe originally, there was a genuine work of God among those fresh, young people who had a heart to serve. And that move was pure.

However, I do not credit VP with the work. I believe Sunesis and others have mentioned this concept of VP capitalizing on what was going on in the late sixties.

I credit VP with recognizing the move of God, and then preying upon that move of God, derailing and siphoning off a good deal of God's truly inspired people. VP allowed them to work their ministries and attract good hearted truth seekers who wanted to serve God, while slowly edging himself in as the "man of God."

VP eventually took over the place in people's hearts that should be reserved for God alone, incrementally dethroned God from the work, stole the allegience of God's people, and the corruption of the movement, the quenching of the the move of the Spirit of God among His people, and rape of God's flock began.

Ariel--

Forgive me if I cannot remember exactly. I do remember hitching back to WCof E with a sweet gal from somewhere we had been (Texas? HQ? I can't recall). I think I remember us singing "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" to someone who was giving us a ride in a sports car. As I remember, the guy was sloshed, driving drunk and fast, and I was actually terrified, while trying to keep my cool. I think he was a pro baseball player for the KC Royals, wasn't he? Can't remember his name. But I can't remember who you are for the life of me-- I can't picture you yet, darn it.

Groucho--

While I agree that VP's foundation was built upon sand, I do believe originally, there was a genuine work of God among those fresh, young people who had a heart to serve. And that move was pure.

However, I do not credit VP with the work. I believe Sunesis and others have mentioned this concept of VP capitalizing on what was going on in the late sixties.

I credit VP with recognizing the move of God, and then preying upon that move of God, derailing and siphoning off a good deal of God's truly inspired people. VP allowed them to work their ministries and attract good hearted truth seekers who wanted to serve God, while slowly edging himself in as the "man of God."

VP eventually took over the place in people's hearts that should be reserved for God alone, incrementally dethroned God from the work, stole the allegience of God's people, and the corruption of the movement, the quenching of the the move of the Spirit of God among His people, and rape of God's flock began.

Hello Catcup,

I was from NY and I would PM you if you tell me how.

Ariel

Hello Catcup,

I clicked on your Catcup name and did not get send message. I don't come onto this site too often so I am not versed in the workings. Anyway my first name begins with M and I have a sister D. You are M..right?!!

My initials are MN.

Make sure you click on the name Catcup above the blinking kitty icon. It should make a drop down menu appear. If you click on the icon, you get my profile, not the drop down menu.

Are you Armenian?

Edited by Catcup