GreaseSpot Cafe

30 years ago today Elvis Died

Dot Matrix

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shelby County Fair Grounds :wink2:

Is that where the ROA was that year??? 30 years ago...wow.....yeah wow.... I went wow to Cumberland MD that year (2nd time). Having lived in the Memphis area for 12 years, I have more of an appreciation for Elvis and his music. It seemed surreal watching the Larry King Live special last nite with Priscilla.

One of our best friend's son was born at Baptist Memorial the day Elvis died. The son later was killed in an accident, but I always think of Bradley on this day also.

God Bless You, Brad and Donna, Bradley was a son to be proud of. :offtopic:

CROSS POST

Thirty years ago today I was a senior in dental school. A classmate came running up the stairs out of breath announcing that Elvis had just been brought into the Baptist hospital ER DOA. It was less than 100 yards from where we stood and my first thought was that Memphis would make the evening news.

Well make the evening news we did but I was shocked at the coverage. Elvis' death was treated as if the Vice-President had just died. 90% of the evening news was devoted to Elvis. I find it hard to believe that it was 30 years ago today. Arthur Hooten was one of my patients and to those of you who aren't Elvis fans, he was an early friend and associate of Elvis. He talked about Elvis at nearly each visit and entertained us with pictures of him and Elvis in days before Elvis was famous. Arthur died last year and didn't get a lot of press.

Here's one of my favorite Elvis songs...

sudo

I was at work in Columbus, Ohio when the news broke.

There was a gal there who was a HUGE Elvis fan and she completely lost it.

She clocked out and went home sobbing.

Did this happen on a Friday?

I'm asking because I remember going to the ROA that year at Shelby Co. Fairgrounds.

I'm thinking maybe I drove in after work.

HAHA!--- I remember that little store.

They thought we were all crazy but took our money just the same.

Got married a month later.(1st time)

Yes, those were indeed some sad times. ;)

you so wonderful waysider

I was there. Well, not with Elvis when he died, but at the Shelby County Fairgrounds with thousands of other dear ones like you.

awwww sniff i love you w&w

sudo, your youtube really touched me

my favorite of all times... makes me cry every time.... is wise men say.............

I think that we skipped the rock that year, we went to pfal 77.

One of my oldest friends had moved out to CA and was a huge Elvis fan. We had fallen out of touch due to my affiliation with a cult. I tracked him down and called him.

I think I may give him a call.

I was at work in Columbus, Ohio when the news broke.

There was a gal there who was a HUGE Elvis fan and she completely lost it.

She clocked out and went home sobbing.

Did this happen on a Friday?

I'm asking because I remember going to the ROA that year at Shelby Co. Fairgrounds.

I'm thinking maybe I drove in after work.

According to Google --it was a Tuesday

Edited by dmiller

According to Google --it was a Tuesday

Thanx, Mr. Miller

Maybe I just went for the weekend of the closing.

I think my fiance went for the whole shebang.

I definitely remember being there, though, and discussing my impending nuptials with a certain "mucky-muck".

Sigh--- It sure doesn't seem like 30 years.

Hey there Waysider. :)

Yea -- time sure do flyyyyyy, don't it!! :(

I was in California fighting forest fires in Sequoia National Park when I heard the news.

Seems like yesterday. Certainly doesn't seem like 30 years ago.

Shucks -- that's longer than I was old at the time!

I never cared much for Elvis (being the Bluegrass Junkie that I am),

but there sure were a lot of somber faces there at the base camp that day.

It seems to be one of those moments in history that you remember ---

where you were, what you were doing, feelings, emotions, reactions, etc.

I'm not sure where the heck I was. I mean, it wasn't GOD that died, it was a semi-washed-up R&R star.

O.K., you enjoyed his music and performances and probably his overall personna as well, fine.

But there was a 60-something year-old lady that DIED of heat exhaustion today waiting in line at Elvis's old digs, waiting to pay homage to "The King's" memory or somesuch and a little kid was hospitalized. To which I can only respond -HUH?

There's all manner of REALLY significant things going on in the world, but people are so obsessed with Elvis that this manic circus of sycophants still buzzes around Graceland hoping to share in some of his magic still. I'm sorry, but I think this kind of adoration borders on the perverse.

... add to all that the number of folks who still thinks that he's still alive!! :asdf::asdf:

I mean, John Lennon's fans haven't gone that far, and (frankly, IMNSHO) he is more musically skilled than Elvis the Pelvis.

((Uhh ohhh, looks like I'm in for it now -- *ducking*))