GreaseSpot Cafe

The Bliss Confessional

bliss

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned........It's been............................uhmmmm........................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh???...........................it's been......................ehem.......20+ years since my last confession.........

I can't take it anymore. I have a secret sin that is just eating me up. I need to confess this sin in my life before I do more damage!

Whenever I get a new book to read.......mostly novels ( I get non-fic mostly, but don't have this prob) that are good, I start reading them............................................................................

and reading them..................................................

and I CAN'T PUT THEM DOWN!

Literally.

8 hours straight I will read it. Ignoring all other wifely, motherly, and social duties.

How awful is that~? :evildenk:

I just can't help it. I have to get to the end of the story.

This latest one was called ''The Last Sin Eater" by Francine Rivers.

It was really good.

Do you think there is any hope for me?

I dunno.... this will take some research.... :spy:

Give me more names of the books that have caused this affliction and I will let you know as soon as I am able to investigate said evidence.

Warning Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series, Katherine Neville's The Eight as well as Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth and Edward Rutherford's Sarum are likely to be as addictive.

At least..... in my many, many late night hours of .... ahhhh.... research... that's what I've found. :yawn1: (pay no attention to the bags under my eyes)

I'd love to help you ladies, but I'm a bit jealous, myself. Whenever I find time to read or watch a movie, I usually end up falling asleep - then an hour or more passes, I wake up and haven't read, nor have I done whatever other things I might've had I not snuck off to read a while.

I really miss reading. I used to read a LOT. One of these days I hope to become organized enough to get all my stuff done during the week and then take an entire Saturday for reading or movies or napping... It could happen!

Belle - love your response - not only do you offer great help, but now Bliss (and the rest of us) has even more titles to read! You're a true buddy and I'm proud to call you mine!

Yea, Belle.......................Thanks for more great books to read, I am trying not to hover over the titles as to be directed right to Barnes and Noble!

TYVM

I do feel better gettin this off my conscience, and I forgot to tell ya, it was raining that day..........but still....................

so far, I am not worthy of penance? Come on Socks, get it together!

I need absolving and cleanzing! :unsure:

...Do you think there is any hope for me?

There may be no hope...

But count on some penance...s...

:wink2:

For your penance you need to send me all those books. And toss in a few Robert Ludlum books, as well…Oh, and if you throw in anything by Arthur C. Clarke, Kurt Vonnegut or Stephen King I guarantee God will spit in your direction.

Edited by T-Bone

GEESH! I thought I was the only one! I do the same thing, Bliss. "The Last Sin Eater" was excellent! I started the darn book at 9 pm, and finished it at 4 am! I couldn't put it down-- just like I can't put down most fiction books.

When it's non fiction-- some "how- to", or whatever I'm more reasonable--read an hour or so, can actually put it down to make dinner or whatever. . . :biglaugh:

I limit myself in how many books I let myself get because nothing would get done. I also try to wait for a weekend to get a book so it doesn't affect school hours, etc. (I'm homeschooling my boys). I ususally get my books at the library cuz I remember the story well enough that I won't usually read a good fiction book more than once-- saves money!

So. . . um. . . I absolve you. . uh. . . because er um WELL JUST BECAUSE!

I don't know about absolving, but you could always try the Cleanse. ....... Remember the Cleanse?...

Seeing how this discussion is over books – are you referring to the Colon Cleanse? That may be something an over zealous editor would like.

Yesm , I feel ya Psalmie........I try to get all my fiction from the library too! I am a sicko for sure. Good idea doing it on a weekend......although, then I would really be ignoring the family.

Ahh, the colon cleanse. Why that isn't penance for me, since I do them anyway about 2x a year! :biglaugh:

Yea, Belle.......................Thanks for more great books to read, I am trying not to hover over the titles as to be directed right to Barnes and Noble!

TYVM

I do feel better gettin this off my conscience, and I forgot to tell ya, it was raining that day..........but still....................

so far, I am not worthy of penance? Come on Socks, get it together!

I need absolving and cleanzing! :unsure:

Bliss, I can relate! Francine Rivers books have that effect on me too. You've probably already done your penance in bleary-eyedness on the following day. So consider yourself absolved.

Once I get involved in a riviting story, I'll stay up all night to find out what happens. I think it's what C.S. Lewis called "sheer narrative lust".

The lastest one that had had this effect on me was Jasper Fforde's "Lost in a Good Book", appropriately named I think.

Glad to know there are other bookworms out there...

Warning Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series, Katherine Neville's The Eight as well as Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth and Edward Rutherford's Sarum are likely to be as addictive.

Do NOT read Gabaldon's Outlander series! I lost my wife for weeks on that one! Aaaaggghhh!!!!!

I read the first one and like it, but I stopped there. " Oh Jamie ye've got a fine cockstand there!" :rolleyes:

Really, she couldn't put them down. Oh, but you were looking for answers as to how to deal with the problem. Well, just don't pick up another book for awhile. I love to read too, but, I do find books as a way to "excape" from what needs to be done, and there is always something to be done...

Edited by Jonny Lingo

A woman after my own Heart!!!!!!!!!! Read on , it sets a great example to the kids.........

read to them if they want to be involved otherwise they will find something else to do,,,

Nothing like a GOOD book, When done pass them on....or return to library.

Sorry no penance here..

:)

You all are too funny. ''Read-anon" , I like it~

I am blissfully addicted to more sci-fi fiction most of the time. I of course am a big LOTR fan, as well as Eragon (hated the movie though, gag).

I used to like the Left Behind Series as long as I keep them in the ''fiction'' category. I have since changed my earlier beliefs....................

Of course I love Historical books, if you call 1776 that, but anything biblical and historical I love. I can put those down a lot easier. Forget self-help. I can milk those for weeks. Not my fav, but some can inspire/help.

While I know when I have too much going on to get swept away...................I will abstain from such lunacy.

But, when the waves die down, I am on my way to get those Outlander Series books!!!!!!!! I can see seeking penance from fellow sinners is like pulling teeth.................

:evildenk:

Outlander is cool, because it has that "back in time" thing. You see, this woman, a Sassenatch wench (English woman-a WW II nurse from from the 1940's) steps back in time by way of the "standing stones" (like the Stonehenge thing) and runs into Jamie Fraser, a 12th century Scottish Highlander who is caught up in the struggle against the wicked Crown of England. And of course Jamie is a fine swash buckling lad who needs her medical assistance...

I can see seeking penance from fellow sinners is like pulling teeth.................

Umm, yeah, probably because reading is such a good thing as opposed to drinking. But really, if you want to get away from being so distracted with reading from doing what needs to be done for your Family, just remember that "it is a love thing", that's all... :)

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Jonny, I probably shouldn't tell you this about Diana Gabaldon's latest news, then:

Diana has two books being published this year, both in the Lord John series. The first, Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade, will be released on August 28, 2007, and Lord John and the Hand of Devils will be on bookshelves November 27.

*ducking and running REALLY fast*

Edited by Belle