GreaseSpot Cafe

Sooo.. what DO you do with a degree from a degreee mill?

Ham

what DO you do with a degree from a degree mill?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. choose carefully, or not so carefully. :)

• Proudly put it on your resume
    • Pretend you never got it
    • Roll it back on the roll. Ship it to poor children overseas
    • Be environmentally conscious. Recycle it
    • Start your own cult. You're "qualified" after all.
    • Have to know what to do with it after you've received it. Put it in the bathroom, where it can function with it's original purpose.

What do you do with one. Hmm.

You've spent a mere quarter of what a real degree would cost.. what a "bargain"

1. The credits WON'T transfer. Probably not even to another "distance learning" university like the one you got it from..

2. It WON'T look good on a resume..

in fact, one's chances of getting the job probably double, just by not including it..

:biglaugh:

3. Somehow a person can STILL be functionally illiterate.. can't count, can't understand world events, can't understand history, or how government really works, or how it really doesn't.. can't understand any major literary works, or understand the development of western civilization..

The only POSSIBLE motivation I can think of.. unless you can attribute it to the naivete of youth- it gives the "bearer" the qualifications to start another damned cult..

just another leverage point to show how "devilish" the world can be, and "persecute" the person, when it calls one's qualifications into question.

...Exactly! That's why I voted for starting your own cult.

If you went to the trouble of getting a phoney degree, why not follow through on your potential?...

Any person who spent any amount of time in twi should know the basics on starting a cult. First, you put together a package, give yourself a name and then start marketing it.

...The papermill degree will add to your credibility to many of the "marks".

The purpose of getting a "real" degree is to demonstrate knowledge and/or proficiency in the field in which the degree is conferred. People in the said field know what's involved in getting the degree and what they can expect (to a degree <_< ) from the bearer. Degree mills, on the other hand, impress only those who don't know what's involved in getting a real one. That's why a lot of us were impressed with "Doctor's" "doctorate". We had no idea what it took to earn a ThD.

Yep,Start your own cult.See the paper on the wall behind me?Well it is not worth snot

I had to research the greatness of gawds word on my own.

I just display it so people know I went to the degree mills

Ya see I have forgotten more of gawds word than you will ever know

So sit back shut up and send me your money!!

I'm waiting for some poor soul to say "well, none of the apostles had an accredited education.."

Well, none of the apostles had an accredited education.

There. I said it. Are you happy now?

:biglaugh:

----------------------------------------------------------

:offtopic:

I saw the title of this thread, and immediately I starting singing,

"What do you do with a drunken sailor

what do you do with a drunken sailor,

what do you do with a drunken sailor

Ear-lie in the morning?

Give him a degree from a bogus college,

give him a degree from a bogus college,

give him a degree from a bogus college

Ear-lie in the morning..."

:beer::drink::wink2:

Actually I DID put mine on my CV. I thought about it really carefully and decided my CV looked a bit skinny (especially in the "lost years" after they kicked me out and before I came to my senses). I do believe that's what got me the interview for the job where I am now, with a Christian person in charge of the office. But in between times, he had obviously checked out TWI and before making me the job offer asked what |I thought of The Way now. I think my answer was quite sufficient to convince him I wuldn't be having anything to do with that weird organization any more and he promptly offered me the job.

I don't have the paper any more and was told to send it back to HQ which I did. Was that right or wrong? Was so confused then I really didn't know which way was up.

I am not sure if it will be going on my next CV.

I never had need for a CV, and I've told maybe two people I had a bachelor of theology, both times more in light of "what a waste of time".

Degree mill or not, was it ever decided here if those Rome City degrees were accredited? I thought that was the point of using the laxer standards in Indiana or something. I did spend a couple weeks there. :dance:

oh .. and I did receive credit from U of Illinois for Way College work. Because I needed one more hour of open elective (and had actually turned down that hour on an open elective U of I class :eusa_clap: ), I wrote in and sent my research paper from the Corps, and with a letter of explanation received one hour philosophy credit, probably out of pity. :biglaugh:

Edited by rhino

First let me say that I have a Bachelars Degree from the University of Houston.

But really what does a degree mean. It means you can stick with something long enough to finish.

Secondly who really checks if the degree is accredited.

When I transferred from a junior collage to a university I lost 22 hours. That hurt.

When I interview someone I check what they know. Not what the resume says they know. Check references until someone says something bad. Get the real picture and realize that no one is perfect.

When I transferred from a junior collage to a university I lost 22 hours. That hurt.
I imagine it would. I got about half of my credits from a junior college here, at 1/4 the price. I also inquired if the credits would transfer. They documented that they had an equivalency agreement with almost every other accredited college in Michigan. When I hit the level of credits that no more would transfer, I transferred to the larger four year university.

I could have put in about 15 more hours and gotten an associates, but would have lost them.

Secondly who really checks if the degree is accredited.

Suppose it depends what it is one wants to do. I would really really like to teach on say, a junior college level someday, at least to start. A degree from pikes peak arithmetic and divinity school would hardly open the door.

• 3 weeks later...

All I know is I remember all too well when I was working towards my Master's degree that I received an email

from a degree mill wanting me to take their classes....and I was so stressed out writing my thesis papers that I actually brought it

up at class one day...because quite honestly I didn't know such things existed. I really need to get out more, I guess. And the

Doctorate from Scotland looked at me and said..."Are you depressed or something?" I had to laugh. But if only he knew....

All I know is I remember all too well when I was working towards my Master's degree that I received an email

from a degree mill wanting me to take their classes....and I was so stressed out writing my thesis papers that I actually brought it

up at class one day...because quite honestly I didn't know such things existed. I really need to get out more, I guess. And the

Doctorate from Scotland looked at me and said..."Are you depressed or something?" I had to laugh. But if only he knew....

Kudos to you for putting in the real work!