GreaseSpot Cafe

Celebrities and PFAL?

fooledagainII

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember hearing about celebrities that took PFAL. Do anyone know who these celebrities were?

I think I heard the singing group Earth, Wind & Fire (I could be wrong). And I seem to remember some type of video with football players on it.

Skip M3squ!te (tenor sax) and David G@rab@ld!(drums and percussion) of Tower Of Power and Cold Blood, were both very active in The Way at one time.

Here is some very early T.O.P. Not sure but I think DG is pounding the skins on this one.

Lessee who else - the tennis player that P@t L(nn was running around the country with - Senator H@ye$ G@h@g@n from Maine - a whole group of football players from Fellowship of Christian Athletes - which proved to LCM that FCA was counterfeit (who cares LCM? So were you)

Famous people that took pfal?...there were some marginally famous people...Mac Davis, Irving Fryer, Tony Collins, and a few others...

...God may not be a respecter of persons but Vic Wierwille sure was...he never passed up an opprotunity to recruit people who had money, fame and influence. He chased after them shamelessly and fortunately, most of them laughed in his face.

There was a football player with the New England Patriots named Irving Fryar(Ithink) that got paraded around quite a bit until he got involved in a drug bust

I heard everything from people in the bands of Kansas, Foghat and the Billy Joel band to Stokely Carmichael-there were alot of rumors, I never really saw anything substantiated on any of these people.

I dont know why they had such a thing for parading any old 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 10th tier "celebrities" around.

Bob Donaldson a good rodeo clown ( and Im sure a good guy) was involved for awhile but to hear LCM drool over him, he was the second coming of Mickey Mantle.

Any celebrities who werent involved were generally believed to be 'born of the seed of the serpent'

"Trophy Mentality"

And then there was this an old sales schtick, too.

"Look Mrs. Jones, your neighbor down the block just bought three of these and you know how discerning a shopper she is."

Edited by waysider

Sometimes these "celebrities got witnessed to" stories are verifiably true and sometimes they're TWI Urban Legends (I knew a guy who was WOW with a guy who...)

Skip Mesquite of Tower of Power was in Way Productions and toured & recorded with Joyful Noise & Takit, Garibaldi was in Takit too. TWI had a brochure come out in the early 80's that had some of the celebs in it; Donaldson (I saw him at a rodeo in Omaha once), Shoenheit and Tony Collins were in it (are you sure about Irving Fryer?). Hayes Gahagan was high profile in TWI for a few years and spoke at the ROA at least once.

The rest? I'm not so sure.

The only "famous" person that I am personally aware of that got witnessed to was Mike Johanns, recently the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture who was witnessed to in Lincoln about ten years ago when he was governer of Nebraska.

I used to witness to Phil Keaggy(Glass Harp) and try to get him in the class. It wasn't too hard to do since he lived and gigged nearby. He was always completely committed to the work he was already involved with. He is not a household name but certainly one of the Christian Music genre's earliest and most influential pioneers.

It was really just another example of "trophy mentality" on my part. :redface:

Here's Phil tearin' it up almost 40 years ago.

Edited by waysider

An old tale that went around in the early to mid 70s was about some wows witnessing to Robert R@dford in the mts. and he sat and listened.
:rolleyes:

I gotta wonder how much of all this is real.. I spoke to Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull for about 35 seconds after a show and may have even mentioned something about 'the class', while he gave me the patient "I hope this weirdo leaves soon" look.

Im pretty sure by the time I got back to hometurf amongst way folks, that by golly I witnessed to him -and unfolded the entire bible to him while he listened intently to my every word... :biglaugh:

There was something inherent in Waythink that overdramatized a lot of things

Skip Mesquite of Tower of Power was in Way Productions and toured & recorded with Joyful Noise & Takit, Garibaldi was in Takit too. TWI had a brochure come out in the early 80's that had some of the celebs in it; Donaldson (I saw him at a rodeo in Omaha once), Shoenheit and Tony Collins were in it (are you sure about Irving Fryer?). Hayes Gahagan was high profile in TWI for a few years and spoke at the ROA at least once.

Yes, I'm sure about Fryar. Tony Collins was busted for cocaine. Fryar got arrested for domestic violence... I believe news stories at the time said he attacked his wife with a large kitchen knife.

There was also a baseball player... his name escapes me at this time, but he was a utility player for the Oakland A's. He also got busted for cocaine.

One of my 9th Corps sisters named Cathy (can't recall her last name, which is stupid, because we were close) hitchhiked at an airport instead of a truckstop (living victoriously) and rode somewhere with Bob Hope. She witnessed to him on the way.

Different topic: during the year when PFAL was $200 (can't recall which year that was; it yo-yo'd up and down for a few years), someone whom I knew witnessed to Cher. Cher saw right through the BS, and said "if it really did all that, it'd be a lot more than $200." I remember thinking that she must have been a pretty sharp cookie.

Garibaldi still tours with Tower of Power.

When David's wife back in the '70's showed up with another "wow chick" (I just love that word!) at my Bezerkely home... pfal was not exactly on my mind, but off I went down the highway!

I don't think celebs are usually interested in bible speak. I met Andy Warhol at 54 one night at the bar, we spoke about something but he only wanted me for bedroom games! :o

Yes, I'm sure about Fryar. Tony Collins was busted for cocaine. Fryar got arrested for domestic violence... I believe news stories at the time said he attacked his wife with a large kitchen knife.

The way I remember it, Fryar was sidelined because he got cut on the hand by the kitchen knife his wife had used, perhaps in defense. I wasn't sure he actually got arrested in that incident ... but maybe so. It seems he got it reduced or dropped maybe.

Here it is ...

3. Irving Fryar's wife slashes his hand before AFC title game

Four days before the Pats faced the Dolphins in the 1986 AFC Championship Game in Miami, Irving Fryar, a wide receiver and the best punt returner in the NFL, cut two fingers and had his hand put in a cast. Pats GM Patrick Sullivan said it was a freak accident: "This morning, he was putting a kitchen knife back in the drawer ... It slipped and cut his hand."

Despite the fact that this explanation defied logic, newspapers reported it without comment.

Fryar, awho caught 39 passes and scored 10 TDs during the regular season, missed the Dolphins game but did play in the Super Bowl, scoring the Pats' lone TD.

The Boston Globe reported before the Super Bowl that the knife cut, which required six stitches, came during a fight between Fryar and his wife, Jacqueline. He knocked her down, the Globe reported, and she got up and slashed his hand. Both went to the hospital.

Fryar ended up making a remarkable turnaround in his life and enjoyed 17 years in the NFL. He retired in 2000 after 17 seasons, and is the sixth-leading receiver league history with 851 career receptions.

Edited by rhino

I remember going to the ROA in the mid 80s and hearing talk of an 'actors twig' located in NY. Was that all "talk" because I remember thinking at the time... "wow, I'd like to go to that twig."?

Side Note: Did anybody have a problem with the standing naked in line to use the showers at the Rock? I felt wtf is this? What was stranger is that people seem not to mind... chatting, laughing as if this was normal. Or using the portal potties, that when people walked by they could tell it was you sitting there because of your shoes. Soon I got me RV just for privacy.

The way I remember it, Fryar was sidelined because he got cut on the hand by the kitchen knife his wife had used, perhaps in defense. I wasn't sure he actually got arrested in that incident ... but maybe so. It seems he got it reduced or dropped maybe.

Here it is ...

3. Irving Fryar's wife slashes his hand before AFC title game

Four days before the Pats faced the Dolphins in the 1986 AFC Championship Game in Miami, Irving Fryar, a wide receiver and the best punt returner in the NFL, cut two fingers and had his hand put in a cast. Pats GM Patrick Sullivan said it was a freak accident: "This morning, he was putting a kitchen knife back in the drawer ... It slipped and cut his hand."

Despite the fact that this explanation defied logic, newspapers reported it without comment.

Fryar, awho caught 39 passes and scored 10 TDs during the regular season, missed the Dolphins game but did play in the Super Bowl, scoring the Pats' lone TD.

The Boston Globe reported before the Super Bowl that the knife cut, which required six stitches, came during a fight between Fryar and his wife, Jacqueline. He knocked her down, the Globe reported, and she got up and slashed his hand. Both went to the hospital.

Fryar ended up making a remarkable turnaround in his life and enjoyed 17 years in the NFL. He retired in 2000 after 17 seasons, and is the sixth-leading receiver league history with 851 career receptions.

Ah yes... I knew it was knife related and involved domestic violence.... otherwise, apparently, my memory was quite fuzzy.

There was also a baseball player... his name escapes me at this time, but he was a utility player for the Oakland A's. He also got busted for cocaine.

Tony Phillips. I couldn't remember the name either, but I was able to find it looking up old team rosters. I remember him playing for the Angels.

I could be mistaken but I think one of Da^e Brub3ck's kids might have taken the class in the mid 1970's.

I seem to recall DB was at the rock one year though I don't think he performed.

I seem to recall the same.

Hey Waysider if you like Hunter S. Thompson I just read a fairly new book - passed it on to someone when I was done but I think the title was "The Kitchen Talks." Interviews with Hunter's closest friends - stuff that was in the house or the bar but was never published.

Tony Phillips. I couldn't remember the name either, but I was able to find it looking up old team rosters. I remember him playing for the Angels.

I looked him up too... and thought I had posted his name... but I must have gotten sidetracked when I read rhino's update on Fryar.

He definitely got busted for cocaine... time seems to heal (or obscure) things like that too.

I missed that Rock. I never stood in line naked. :-)

Hmm, maybe I was naked and just don't remember it.

No, my kids would definitely be telling me about it now.

~Chrispy

Side Note: Did anybody have a problem with the standing naked in line to use the showers at the Rock? I felt wtf is this? What was stranger is that people seem not to mind... chatting, laughing as if this was normal. Or using the portal potties, that when people walked by they could tell it was you sitting there because of your shoes. Soon I got me RV just for privacy.
Edited by richnchrispy

OMG, as the only boy in my family for the first few rocks we went to i HATED the showers... why in the **** didn't they have curtains? i still have this creepy memory of being 9 and seeing this guy half erect washing his pubes who started talking to me *shudder*