GreaseSpot Cafe

Texas Barbeque 2008

notinKansasanymore

I'm sure kids are allowed (though, of course, ex10 has the final say), as NiKa's were there last year. There just aren't any activities geared for yougsters. How old are they? Maybe I can bring along some comic books.

George

She's a little over a year. More active than an infant, but still not in the "terrible twos" so she can behave ok.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those still looking for a hotel room...the Hilton Garden Hotel is only $84 before taxes with a AAA discount and it's right along that row of hotels that everyone is staying at.

Dave! doncha know you can just hitchhike? yeah... just get out there on I-35 and stick yer thumb out!

Geepers, Tom – you might as well tell him the whole nine yards…Dave, if you decide to accept this Grease Spot challenge then you can't start hitching until 72 hours before opening night of the BBQ. And if you happen to be a little late [remember Grease Spot time is 10 minutes before the meeting starts] then you'll be turned away and have to hitch back home.

Oh, and one more thing – you are allowed to have only twenty dollars when you start hitching and must have twenty dollars when you return home….uhm…let's see….if you return home and come up a little short of the twenty dollars then…uhm…I guess you'll have to hitch back to EX10's house and do some fiddle picking for room & board till you get your believing up. If she won't have you – you can always stay with Tonto & me – but you ain't getting off cheap…I'm thinking free music lessons and a cure for my wooden ear! :spy:

IF I come down, I will be driving. Forget that hitch hiking thing.

I refused to do it in 1985 going to L.E.A.D, from here to South Dakota,

and I'll be d@mned if I do it now. Twi (specifically Chr!$ Granlich)

reamed me one for driving, instead of hitching.

I told him to mind his own F****** business, and that was the end of that.

I like to drive. I DON'T like to hitch. For once he backed down.

Might be the fact I'm taller than him, and I got RIGHT in his face,

and really didn't care what he thought or said, at all.

Hitch-hiking sucks.

1,300 miles of open road in front of me appeals to me. It needs to be DRIVEN.

I don't need a chauffeur *courtesy of the thumb*.

If I can afford the trip, I'll show up in a Subaru Legacy.

Not dropped off by some passing trucker.

Edited by dmiller

Hitch-hiking sucks.

1,300 miles of open road in front of me appeals to me. It needs to be DRIVEN.

I don't need a chauffeur *courtesy of the thumb*.

If I can afford the trip, I'll show up in a Subaru Legacy.

Not dropped off by some passing trucker.

Used to thumb around when I was teen, had enough of that myself. 1,300 miles, no freaking way!

You WILL definitely show up in a Subaru...........best cars made in my opinion. :)

Sorry Dave – of all the things I could have joked about I didn't know LEAD would push some buttons….[thinking fast to change the subject] Hey, did I tell you about the other week - we got to see Sam Bush burning up the mandolin with Lyle Lovett and His Large Band. :dance:

For those still looking for a hotel room...the Hilton Garden Hotel is only $84 before taxes with a AAA discount and it's right along that row of hotels that everyone is staying at.

Not a bad deal, but don't forget to check the "drive-out" price. Houston hotels have something like a 14% tax to pay for our sports arenas.

George

TBone! you and the lovely Tonto went to see LLAHLB? I almost went to that...

Good map Dave, but (speaking from experience) I'd just stay on I-35 until Dallas... that other way will cost you a few hours (especially the US75 part)... and then, once you get to Dallas (since you like to drive) I'll just ride with you! Of course, we'll have to load up the Legacy with all the beer before we leave...

I had a Subaru once... good car... is the spare tire still under the hood?

Hope you can make it bro! I know that if you can, you will...

yes... but do they have a complimentary breakfast?

One time I was sent to Tampa, FL for training on some software. My company paid for me to stay in the Embassy Suites, which has an excellent breakfast included with your stay. After the first day of class, I noticed a classmate partaking in the free happy hour at the Embassy Suites, then getting breakfast there the next morning. I went up to him and started a conversation, and discovered that he was staying at the much cheaper hotel next door.

I'm not suggesting doing anything immoral or illegal. It's just that I remembered that when you mentioned the complimentary breakfast.

Not a bad deal, but don't forget to check the "drive-out" price. Houston hotels have something like a 14% tax to pay for our sports arenas.

George

True dat! But last year the price before taxes was $150 so this one is a much better deal.

Tom, no it has no complimentary breakfast...I guess I'll just have to crash the party at your hotel. :biglaugh:

Sorry Dave – of all the things I could have joked about I didn't know LEAD would push some buttons….[thinking fast to change the subject] Hey, did I tell you about the other week - we got to see Sam Bush burning up the mandolin with Lyle Lovett and His Large Band. :dance:

First time I've ever seen Sam in a suit and tie!! Gave me a chuckle, it did!!! Thanks!

Dave, thanks for those YouTube clips! My all time favorite tune of Lyle's is That's Right (You're Not From Texas), which has become my theme song since this old New Yawka has grown to love Texas. Reminds me of when I first met Tonto's dad. He explained the difference between a Yankee and a d@mn Yankee. A Yankee comes down to Texas to visit. A d@mn Yankee comes down to Texas and stays here.

Edited by T-Bone

Dave, thanks for those YouTube clips! My all time favorite tune of Lyle's is That's Right (You're Not From Texas), which has become my theme song since this old New Yawka has grown to love Texas. Reminds me of when I first met Tonto's dad. He explained the difference between a Yankee and a d@mn Yankee. A Yankee comes down to Texas to visit. A d@mn Yankee comes down to Texas and stays here.

DAMN! :biglaugh:

Getting back to Dooj's comment about kids, in case anyone is wondering.....The BBQ is definitely an adult time. Adult beverages are served, and adult conversation does happen. In the past, with my own teenage kids, certain questions came up about topics of conversation, (ie sexual abuse, adultery, intimidation tactics, things about former "leadership" who have been friends, etc.) and my beloved and I had alot of 'splaining to do. :unsure:

So anyone who is bringing kids, please use your own discretion. It's not that they are not welcome, but this BBQ is not really a "family gathering." I'm just going by the flavor of the past 2 years.

Mr. P-Mosh, I don't think a one yr. old will have any problems, except my house is not baby proof. I would love to meet your family.

And I think we might end up with a much bigger crowd this year, by the inquiries I've gotten into hotels and flights. The more the merrier! Anyone who needs more information or discussion, please feel free to pm me. I haven't checked in much during the week lately, due to overload at work, but I always check in on week-ends.

Mr. P-Mosh, I don't think a one yr. old will have any problems, except my house is not baby proof. I would love to meet your family.

Thanks ex10 for the update. Don't worry about the baby proofing stuff. We haven't baby proofed much of our house and prefer to tell her no, smack her hand, give her something else to do, etc. We won't let her tear up your stuff. :)