GreaseSpot Cafe

Another Wayfer Makes the News

Belle

I just sent that reporter all my slide shows.I find them good when you don't have time to talk to people

about how fckd up The Way International can be. Come monday he is going to have lots of stuff too

look into so Belle keep us informed(about the news paper)thanks chow bella!

Edited by OKLAHOMA CITY WOW 78

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

II don't understand what you hope to accomplish. He was raised in twi and apparently is happy to follow the path his parents laid out for him. Do you think he'll come to GSC, gasp, and try to rescue his parents? More likely, he will take the stance we did when we were young and zealous and write off all the cult talk as the venting of disgruntled former members, just like we did. And instead of concentrating on his studies and athletics, he'll probably be distracted by being forced to defend himself against those who criticize him for being in a cult.

Nothing against any of you; I'm sure you mean well, but I don't get this tactic at all.

I think what would happen if others read this wonderful story about his incredible athelete and decide to follow in his spiritual shoes... sign up with TWI, take their classes and follow the Way Disciple, Way Corps path that's certainly to follow.... and find themselves at GSpot like so many of us who got involved way later than you glory day groovy christians did .... and then end up lamenting the best years of their lives.

A reputable organiation should NOT be promoting groups like TWI. They should be more responsible in their reporting. That's what I think. :) They are lending justification and validity to a group who has none.

With all due respect, I think the generation that allowed TWI to grow and prosper were thrilled to find a group that would allow them to smoke dope & seek God at the same time.... sure, there were others who were genuinely focused on finding "God" and "the truth" but there were many aspects of TWI that allowed one to do what they wanted and still be "holy". The associations that allowed such a thing were very welcome.

The ego feeding knowledge of knowing more than the typical minister played a big part, too.

If it weren't for that lore and draw, there would never have been a TWI for me to find in 1993. <_<

But, that's just my opinion.

I do know for sure it is a taped class and there are multiple teachers.

Really? Multiple teachers? No more "The Teacher" or "The MOG" wow, that's a step away from the cult of personality that TWI clearly was. This may be an even more sinister force to deal with, if it doesn't crumble from lack of a central driving force.

What did they do divide up the teaching duties among the regional leaders, so that people can have someone local to identify with and therefore bond to those in their region? Very interesting new tactics kind of like the Greek myth of Hydra there is no one central head to kill the whole beast.

I would be interesting to see what they have come up with.

Seth

Really? Multiple teachers? No more "The Teacher" or "The MOG" wow, that's a step away from the cult of personality that TWI clearly was. This may be an even more sinister force to deal with, if it doesn't crumble from lack of a central driving force.

(snip)

I've read that in Australia, this is referred to as "Tall Poppy Syndrome."

rfr has to make sure nobody gains in prominence past her- and since she has the personality

of wet cardboard, that means everyone has to be kept as low-status as possible.

Heck, this new kid alone now has enough status to make her feel threatened!

Having different people teach ensures none of them becomes pre-eminent,

and if one of them leaves, they only have to retape HIS segments and not end up

running a whole class live again. "Lack of a central driving force" is a current concern

that can't be addressed-since addressing it means kicking rfr from the driver's seat.

I'm glad you are all willing to e-mail etc this guy.........I pray it makes sense to him and he does look it up to see just what TWI is all about.

But, I know when I got involved, I had a pastor, parents, friends, all telling me the same thing.....it's a cult! I did not listen, in fact it motivated me more to get involved and Stand with the ministry even though I wasn't quite sure of it myself. The more they talked, the more I moved away from them.........

Hopefully, your e-mails will have more of an impact than all the people that were in my life at that time!!

I'm glad you are all willing to e-mail etc this guy.........I pray it makes sense to him and he does look it up to see just what TWI is all about.

But, I know when I got involved, I had a pastor, parents, friends, all telling me the same thing.....it's a cult! I did not listen, in fact it motivated me more to get involved and Stand with the ministry even though I wasn't quite sure of it myself. The more they talked, the more I moved away from them.........

Hopefully, your e-mails will have more of an impact than all the people that were in my life at that time!!

The reporter is not the one who needs an education concerning what TWI is all about - it's the kid who needs the education and he's probably not going to listen.

The reporter is not the one who needs an education concerning what TWI is all about - it's the kid who needs the education and he's probably not going to listen.

I can see that side... but when I read the story it certainly came across to me as being just as much about "the bible class" he took as it was about him...

Reporter wrote back said he just covers sports for the Georgia Tech news.

You should reply back to him and tell him something like "that's fine, but in your piece on the young man you spent as much space talking about this wonderful bible class and TWI as you did the kid..."

I am happy for him and wish him and twi best wishes ... this is America and folks have a right to choose their own religious group. Thank God for freedom of choice and freedom of religion.

OM! here we go again... yes, of course it is... and other folks have the freedom to tell about the cult and it's evil ways...

Edited by Tom Strange

I am happy for him and wish him and twi best wishes ... this is America and folks have a right to choose their own religious group. Thank God for freedom of choice and freedom of religion.

I don't think anyone has said he is not free to choose.

Personally, I think the article should stick to sports rather than avail itself as a launching pad for TWI promotion.

Here is the response I received from the reporter.

The subject line was: Told ya again

The article was not meant to promote, or indict The Way. And it did not.

If I wrote a story about a football player and his Catholicism, that would not guarantee that it would include an investigation of the Catholic church, predatory priests, or the behavior of archdioceses on the local and/or national, global levels.

Those would be investigative stories about The Way, and the Catholic church.

This story was neither. It was a story about Michael Johnson and his faith.

Sincerely,

Matt Winkeljohn

Hi Oldiesman,

Is there an assumption that he had a choice?

Is this a religion we are talking about?

I think freedom of choice implies that the group you are choosing hasn't already targeted and chosen you. Making all answers perfect, orchestrating every move, timing every play, anticipating each question and concern, catering to my every desire. You have to bait the hook to suit the fish, and TWI loves landing up and coming football players. There are TWI youth actively involved in pursuing these college kids, and in a transitional time like now where there is an unpopular war and young people are looking for answers groups like TWI thrive.

I mean there is no choice for a guy like me full of hormones idealistic and wanting to make a difference in the world, when a group of people my age, come and surround me with love and have conspired to whip some Jesus on me, especially if there are some hot young thangs in the mix. Believe me there are hot young thangs in the mix.

So my argument in this case is this, choice? No. Religion? Definitely not.

Seth

Hi Oldiesman,

I think freedom of choice implies that the group you are choosing hasn't already targeted and chosen you. Making all answers perfect, orchestrating every move, timing every play, anticipating each question and concern, catering to my every desire. You have to bait the hook to suit the fish, and TWI loves landing up and coming football players. There are TWI youth actively involved in pursuing these college kids, and in a transitional time like now where there is an unpopular war and young people are looking for answers groups like TWI thrive.

I mean there is no choice for a guy like me full of hormones idealistic and wanting to make a difference in the world, when a group of people my age, come and surround me with love and have conspired to whip some Jesus on me, especially if there are some hot young thangs in the mix. Believe me there are hot young thangs in the mix.

Seth

Actually the assumption to me looks like ,that you assume he had no choice, He is an adult as such he makes his own choices. I see nothing that indicates he is deficient in any way to make rational decisions on his own. By your logic then advertising industry (which by the way does the same things you described ) controls us as well.....Doubtful .....You either buy the hype or you don't each is free to choose how they wish. You give them way too much credit but I suppose some people see conspiracies in everything around them. They have treatment options for that problem as well, but then again...... that is another choice.......

Here is the response I received from the reporter.

The subject line was: Told ya again

The article was not meant to promote, or indict The Way. And it did not.

If I wrote a story about a football player and his Catholicism, that would not guarantee that it would include an investigation of the Catholic church, predatory priests, or the behavior of archdioceses on the local and/or national, global levels.

Those would be investigative stories about The Way, and the Catholic church.

This story was neither. It was a story about Michael Johnson and his faith.

Sincerely,

Matt Winkeljohn

I know it's a futile effort... but I think I would have replied: "If it was about his faith, then how come almost half the article deals with either TWI, it's class or his parents involvement with TWI???"

It was an article about a young man and his religion...

but that's just me...

I know everybody's experience wasn't the same, but as for me, I did what I wanted to do when I joined the way international, while I was in the way international, and when I left the way international...

I know Simon, and it was that way for a lot of folks... but we now know that it wasn't that way for a lot of other folks... did they let you have a nice old orange truck in TWI?

I know everybody's experience wasn't the same, but as for me, I did what I wanted to do when I joined the way international, while I was in the way international, and when I left the way international...

mine was a little different, but i respect your point of view

i didn't care for victor paul wierwille because he wouldn't leave me alone (sexually), and i thought of him as a "man of god" and a father figure

but hey i was young and stupid and already abused so i was ripe for the picking

as far at this boy goes ??? he must have great natural ability

Seth

Good point.

If he WAS RAISED in this group-which he was- and they groomed him specifically and

encouraged him and everything-making him a VIP- then there hasn't ever been a point

where he's looked around and MADE A CHOICE.

I know everybody's experience wasn't the same,

No kidding...

I know Simon, and it was that way for a lot of folks... but we now know that it wasn't that way for a lot of other folks...

Tom, I think your good friend was acknowledging that right at the start!

as for me, I did what I wanted to do when I joined the way international, while I was in the way international, and when I left the way international...

I'm glad that means you didn't have to force yourself to be my fellow taxman. (inside remark).

Edited by Lifted Up

Good point.

If he WAS RAISED in this group-which he was- and they groomed him specifically and

encouraged him and everything-making him a VIP- then there hasn't ever been a point

where he's looked around and MADE A CHOICE.

You don't know that, WW. Although it's unlikely that he's aware of the faults of TWI and has still chosen to remain, it certainly COULD be the case.

George