GreaseSpot Cafe

Which childhood dream have you accomplished/done?

mchud11

Mine is pretty simple: walking through the Anne Frank museum, the home where she hid in WWII before being found and sent eventually to the gas chamber.

Hey GSG - is it true you have a thriving business making acid, meth and DMT?

That would be thriving distribution channels and successful marketing campaigns , I think, rumrunner, which would cause the business to thrive.

George, what kind of chemists are there in the real world? I am thinking chemistry is involved in all sorts of types of business. Are you in the organic side of things, or the inorganic side of things or processes, materials, testing, anything like that?

Which childhood dream have you accomplished/done?

Pretty much all of them.

I wanted to be a scientist, but didn't stay in school long enough. My daughter has fulfilled that dream for me, she is going to graduate this spring with a BS in botany and go on to grad school. I've managed to become a pretty good engineer/inventor and built a small company around my products. I dreamed of creating things and getting them patented, and I have 2 patents. They are way overrated, btw. I dreamed of flying and having an airplane and I have that. I dreamed of having my own machine shop where I could build anything I want and I have that.

The things of more value that I have and didn't dream for are a good wife, a good child and a couple of good dogs, in that order.

Pretty much all of them.

I wanted to be a scientist, but didn't stay in school long enough. My daughter has fulfilled that dream for me, she is going to graduate this spring with a BS in botany and go on to grad school. I've managed to become a pretty good engineer/inventor and built a small company around my products. I dreamed of creating things and getting them patented, and I have 2 patents. They are way overrated, btw. I dreamed of flying and having an airplane and I have that. I dreamed of having my own machine shop where I could build anything I want and I have that.

The things of more value that I have and didn't dream for are a good wife, a good child and a couple of good dogs, in that order.

all great things, in my opinion. How would you describe inventing, what comes to mind is in-o-vation (spell checker please), to me, more than designing something so unthought of by others. My worst class in paralegal studies was patents, it had so, so many details. So, I am hearing you have two out there, how long did you develop the ideas, and how long did your implementation/protypes, application of the idea take before you applied for the patent(s)? And last, maybe I am on the wrong track with this, folks write all sorts of books on left brain this and right brain that, was the process of your ideas more on the creative side or more on the analytical side, or some of both, or was it you solving a problem that you saw, like you said, oh, I think that could be done a different way or what?

All but one childhood dream has been fulfilled. At the age of five I wanted to be a nun.

stop laughing!

I abandoned that dream when I realized what else I'd have to give up.

Edited by doojable

I have always admired martial arts. Though I was convinced that I was too old and out of shape to even attempt it, I began study at 40 with the kiddos and earned my own rank of black belt at 46 yrs old. Two of my children have earned theirs as well. My dream now is that the other 5 continue to study and earn theirs also.

I have always loved horses and dogs, shepherds in particular. After twi, I was able to move to the country and indulge in my animal love.

Sorry, dojable, I can't stop laughing. That was a good one.

My parents were divorced when I was 18 months old. Mom took us away. I was told in the third grade when told about my real dad. Since then I dreamed of meeting him. I did when I was 49 years old. Not only do I have a wonderful loving dad but also two other brothers and a sister and two of the most loving doting aunts. My Aunt Betty, daddy's baby sister is the one who named me. My baby sister is only two and a half years older than my first born child.

I have a whole new life.

I am sorry doojable for misspelling your name...doofie me.

Ahhh but George - you became an accomplished cynic - not a small feat!!!

I walked on the Great Wall of China, that was pretty cool.

But I never did become a paleontologist, though. That kinda sucks...

I wanted to be a missionary and go to Africa.

Instead, I ended up going WoW in a different continent.

Still plenty of unaccomplished dreams but there's still time, until they give me the wooden overcoat.

Dooj...a nun... :biglaugh:

I have been reading these and they are all, thoughtful and honest. I really like the Walk on the Great Wall one, the cartoonist, on the radio...

I do feel I can't really relate to the "nun" one, would the poster feel like expounding/expanding that one? As in, I can relate to being a cowboy, ya get some nifty "duds", a gun, pointy boots and ride horses, but I am a little unclear on the benefit package with Nuns, maybe travel, having some peace and quiet, inquiring minds want to know...thanks...

My earliest career ambition was to be a garbageman. When I stayed with my grandma, I would jump out of bed when I heard them coming just to watch them. I loved the way they got to bang garbage cans together, throw garbage in the back of the truck, pull a lever and watch the truck "eat" the garbage.

Sadly, my family didn't give me a lot of encouragement to pursue this career choice. When they told me that they only hire black people to be garbage men, I think I recall responding, "Ok, I will paint myself black."

My earliest career ambition was to be a garbageman. When I stayed with my grandma, I would jump out of bed when I heard them coming just to watch them. I loved the way they got to bang garbage cans together, throw garbage in the back of the truck, pull a lever and watch the truck "eat" the garbage.

Sadly, my family didn't give me a lot of encouragement to pursue this career choice. When they told me that they only hire black people to be garbage men, I think I recall responding, "Ok, I will paint myself black."

Ya know, this brought back a painful childhood memory, Oenophile, thank you for ripping my emotions into tiny glass shards - lol Just kidding, but really, I can relate to this:

When I was in grade school, they had a "music test", first the class had like a questionaire, music questions, and then they had the test, you wrote down answers...music questionaire, then music test.

One of the questions was "what instrument would YOU like to play"...hey, I was like 10, oh course it was the drums, duh, hey "Ringo" is a drummer. I take the music test, it had sounds, and rhythms. I get the results: "The best instrument for YOU is the VIOLIN."

Folks, unless you are in your 50's, lived in California, I have my doubts you were part of the "social experiment" those well meaning California psychologists put the children through way back then, if it wasn't sugar cubes for polio, "Co-educational PE", it was IQ tests..yep, I am still damaged goods, one childhood dream never done, never accomplished.......

Folks, unless you are in your 50's, lived in California, I have my doubts you were part of the "social experiment" those well meaning California psychologists put the children through way back then, if it wasn't sugar cubes for polio, "Co-educational PE", it was IQ tests..yep, I am still damaged goods, one childhood dream never done, never accomplished.......

Why not give it a "go" now???

That would be thriving distribution channels and successful marketing campaigns , I think, rumrunner, which would cause the business to thrive.

George, what kind of chemists are there in the real world? I am thinking chemistry is involved in all sorts of types of business. Are you in the organic side of things, or the inorganic side of things or processes, materials, testing, anything like that?

As mchud points out, it's hard to make a thriving drug business without a good channel to market. None of my friends are druggies, sadly. (And, no, I haven't seen "Breaking Bad.")

My graduate work was in organometallic chemistry. When I was at Dow, I did organic syntheses, inorganic syntheses, some polymer syntheses, and a lot of process support for one of the plants. Now I do primarily inorganic chemistry, including some work with radioactive isotopes. I plan eventually to teach at a junior college or small university.

All but one childhood dream has been fulfilled. At the age of five I wanted to be a nun.

Sorry, Dooj, but you are FAR too hot for a nun!

George