GreaseSpot Cafe

What a Crock!!!

Cindy!

I am SO ticked off. My grandbaby's father was given the week off in honor of Jaden's birth. And today, his scum of a boss did not pay him for the week. So now they have a newborn, bills out the butt, and no paycheck. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!! What kind of a person does this to a new family?????

I am SO ticked off. My grandbaby's father was given the week off in honor of Jaden's birth. And today, his scum of a boss did not pay him for the week. So now they have a newborn, bills out the butt, and no paycheck. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!! What kind of a person does this to a new family?????

Check your state laws - Federal law allows for maternity leave for mothers - some states have adopted similar laws for fathers. His boss might have just opened up an EEOC can of worms.

Im with Rumrunner on this..If he cant work it out with his boss I'd check the phone book under State and Federal Government (its the blue pages in my phone book)and start making phone calls to the law and employment agencies to see if its legal or not and what he can do and where to file a complaint to get remunerated.

They are why your taxes are so high, you may as well utilize them

According to the Federal Family Medical Leave Act, his boss is not required to pay him. He is required to give him requested time for such things, take him back to his original position (or one nearly like it) and pay for his medical and/or dental benefits (if the company has such a plan)

One would think that a week's pay wouldn't bankrupt the company, but an individual is allowed up to 12 weeks per calendar year. Many companies choose to pay nobody's wages under those circumstances so it may have been out of his boss's hands.

there is a caveat though:

"According to the Federal Family Medical Leave Act,... He is required to give him requested time for such things"

'My grandbaby's father was given the week off in honor of Jaden's birth.

there seems to be a difference.. did he request it off, or did the boss come to him and give him the week off?

I dont know what the understanding between the two of them was

I'd still check with the State, they sometimes vary from federal laws

Good grief. You live in the Land of Obama. He may have moved to the white house but his residual droppings

(metaphorically and politically speaking), are still a stench there in Illinois.

Did you really expect better? :blink:

Maybe I missed something.

How exactly is this situation Obama's fault?

• Upvote 1

I too need more information before becoming incensed:

Was he given the week off without asking for it?

Was there an understanding that he would be paid, maybe based on previous situations?

Was he told that he would be paid?

Where I work, we can take advantage of the family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for medical reasons (including family medical)and come back to the same job and rate of pay. We have a Paid Time Off (PTO) benefit where we can be paid for the time off up to the amount of PTO earned (it varies based on how many hours you work and your seniority) - we can also purchase short term disability insurance.

• Upvote 1

Did you really expect better? :blink:

Gees dave--You're gonna blame Obama for this?

Just becuase its not

quite yet doesnt mean its his fault does it? :biglaugh:

My sometimes employees are casual based on our agreements with one another. Personally Id give the guy off as much time as he wanted or needed if he just had a baby and I'd probably do what I could for him financially especially if I liked him and he was a good worker and wasnt some dbag.

IMO you dont need laws to be agood neighbor or boss just a little common sense...which apparently isnt so 'common' anymore.

It pays off in the long run to be on the generous side of the coin

I admit I dont know all the circumstances here..Id still check with the State to see if he is protected against this type of thing

That...and look for another job or start his own thing

Edited by mstar1

Good grief. You live in the Land of Obama. He may have moved to the white house but his residual droppings

(metaphorically and politically speaking), are still a stench there in Illinois.

Did you really expect better?

These are Clinton's droppings, not Obama's droppings...get your s(hit straight!!!  :mooner:   The Clinton admin established the Family Leave Act!!!

For where I work...

We would be given the options of:

1. Go on leave with out pay.

2. You may use your sick leave.

3. You may use your regular leave.

4. Any combination of the above.

Not trying to sound unsympathitic... The baby's father had a little time to find out what the company leave policy is for such events.

• Upvote 1

Cindy, I hate to say it but I agree with the other posters... pay was not guaranteed when the leave time was given, according to current law. If the boss offered the time off, and the employee assumed it was paid, it really is unfortunate but unless the boss made it clear the time off was WITH pay, there is probably nothing that can be done about it.

Dear Cindy,

Since you grandbabies family was expecting the pay I feel for them too. And if it were my family I'd probably growl right along with you!

It was his bosses' idea to give him the week off and pay was expected.

Appreciate all the FMLA info, knew it already, but appreciate it! :)

Even with all the labor info/laws, I'm STILL ticked about it!!!!!

We are helping out and they will be fine, but I'm still ticked!!!!!!

Holding my jbug helps make it doable, she's fantastic!

The only suggestions I could ever possibly add is my usual.

Document, Document, Document and get signatures on the documentations.

Two if possible.

Most places have SOP and a form to fill out for the request; understandably not all places. Then make copies and a copy of the copies.

Then one might present the documentation with a friendly 'yeah but what about you signing this request for time off that says I'd get paid for it'

Another brilliant suggestion. Seek other employment that has better and clearer policy.

i am curious as to what job pays for a week off if not using holiday or vacation or sick days? it's not a normal thing in my experience so i wouldn't expect it.

This one was supposed to, hence my outrage!

I'm over it now...thanks for letting me vent!!!

This one was supposed to, hence my outrage!

I'm over it now...thanks for letting me vent!!!

if pay for the week off was promised then i can certainly understand the outrage but then i can also see that the job maybe proved to be just another job? that's a pretty harsh betrayal i think. good luck in finding a job that would pay for a week off.

According to the Federal Family Medical Leave Act, his boss is not required to pay him. He is required to give him requested time for such things, take him back to his original position (or one nearly like it) and pay for his medical and/or dental benefits (if the company has such a plan)

One would think that a week's pay wouldn't bankrupt the company, but an individual is allowed up to 12 weeks per calendar year. Many companies choose to pay nobody's wages under those circumstances so it may have been out of his boss's hands.

That FMLA is a non-issue and serves to confuse this thread. Now for the antagonistic, please note I said the FMLA serves to confuse this thread - not that Krys serves to confuse this thread. That is why I recommended our thread starter check her state laws. The FMLA is a milk-toast law. Some states have much more employee friendly state laws. For the curious; check out California maternity leave law. It is not quite cut and dried but it provides plenty of ways for employees to maintain an income, benefits, and, perhaps most importantly their job not just their place of employment while on paternity/maternity leave.

The FMLA was designed by a typically self-serving congress to placate pregnant women and a few men. All it really does is preserve your place of employment - heck it doesn't even guarantee your job - just your place of employment - you could go back from being an administrative assistant at $80K/yr to being a janitor at $25K/yr and the employer is within their federal "rights" under FMLA.

Edited by RumRunner
  • Upvote 1