GreaseSpot Cafe

Where Were You 40 Years Ago For The Moon Landing

krys

I was lying on my living room floor with a glass of iced tea. I think it may have been the hottest day of the summer that year. I was so excited that I cheered even though I was all alone.

There was a long time between the landing and the time that Neil Armstrong actually walked down the ladder. I was watching the TV with my family and after what seemed like hours of Walter Cronkite explaining it from every conceivable angle and no action I was getting antsy and bored --my friend Bobby Lynch walked by-so I bolted out the door for a game of wiffleball, with my mother screeching You're missing history!!..."call me if anything happens ma"..

I checked back in about 20 minutes later--still nothing---so I went for a ride on my stingray bike over near my friends house, we hung out for awhile near a big rock then I thought I should get back...I got back home a few minutes later, the fam hadnt moved at all, i got a minor scolding then sat on the floor in front of the TV....a few minutes later Cronkite started talking about the door to the LEM opening--which was the first action in hours--- about 15 minutes or so later Armstrong sort of floated down the stairs, stood on the bottom for a minute then stepped off and uttered his famous words

I had good dreams that night

• Upvote 1

I was at the local pool with my brother and sister and my best friend Meri Lou. One of our mom's would pick us up right before dinner. The pool sold sno cones or we could walk across the street from the park to a little store to get a snack. There was a group of kids from our school who went there most days so there were always kids to talk to, and we spent many hours diving for pennies. I had a crush on a red haired boy and Meri had a crush on a life guard with really blue eyes. It was much fun!

• Upvote 1

i wasn't alive yet. it's hard for me to imagine.

Well - you missed that piece of history, but I hope you learned how important these pinnacles of history are. Did you watch the inauguration? There were so many people and no incidences to detract from the moment....that's a first! I just used that for an example.

Keep your eyes open and watch the future!

• Upvote 1

Krys your right it was hot.

I was at school I also will never for get it.

The entire school a least a couple hundred sat in the hall way on the cold floor in the heat. no air conditioning in the school then and I guess they had only one tv, cause we packed in the entire hallway. I remember the teachers looking at all of us like they wish to God we would all just disappear as they watched the TV... with such concern and focus we could do what we wanted... they could care less. Then they shouted watch this and we saw the man take a step and I remember Walter Cronkite crying and putting his head in his hands.

As we left to get the bus many of the teachers stayed and just let us leave watching the tv many were crying.

your right about watching the future Krys it gives us all hope to know our past and the progress or adventures we have made in mankind.

• Upvote 1

I was glued to the set. And switching channels. Listened to Walter and then to ABC, the science guy on that station was really good. With all the animosity going on between parents and youth those days, It was the one night that everyone was focused on something, whether your hair was long or short; whether you listened to Lawernce Welk or Spooky Tooth.

That night one of my coworkers from the supermarket became a father. I remember going by and visiting them a few days later and talking about how memorable her birthday would be.

Edited by pawtucket
  • Upvote 1

I lived in Deerfield, Illinois. I remember that it was summertime, but I don't recall it being any hotter than usual.

I cut through our kitchen and my mom stopped me and showed what she was watching. Right after that, Armstrong floated/bounced down the steps and I heard him say the famous line. I acknowledged that this was a big deal and returned outside to play . . .

I was just out of college and visiting a friend in Arizona. We had actually gone to Kitt Peak that day and were returning. Her husband was driving, she was asleep between us as we sped through the burning Sonora Desert. Her husband and I looked at each other over her sleeping head and said "Wow!"

WG

• Upvote 1

1969....I was 3 years old. Too busy playing w/ my toys...tongue.gif

I was 9 years old a bunch of us were at my house watching it on our TV. I remember being thrilled I think we kids ran around a bit between landing and coming out and being cvalled over to watch that part,

I thought it was amazing and dreamed about one day walking on the moon myself or traveling to Mars..

So I probably won't make it but My Hubby Works at Nasa.. so probably the closest I will ever get to actual space travel.. LOL

I'm sorta ashamed to admit it, but I have no idea.

I was always interested in Science and space exploration and all that, but I just have no memory of the moon landing whatever. Well, it was the '60s...

Right George.....it was the '60's! LOL :cryhug_1_::knuddel: . One of the reasons I love reading your posts is that you are always totally honest! So what if your brain cells were on a vacation of sorts. Maybe you were exhausted from working 3 jobs and needed your sleep. Maybe you were in Japan! No worries, mate.(you'll have make your own Australian accent for that)

Edited by krys
  • Upvote 1

I remember that we watched it all on tv, but have clearer memories of when Kennedy was shot 7 years previously.

What I remember most about men walking on the moon for the first time was that my dad worked in a factory that made stuff that went to the moon and he got some moon rocks and dirt that he allowed me to take to school for show 'n tell. I almost didn't want to take it for fear of losing it, he'd engrained such fear in me over it. It was great fun having that at school, tho, and I made it home with the treasure so all was well.

I was 15 and dating an older "college man" (he was 18) , one of the guys from our church youth group. We were hanging out with another couple from church who were his age, and although I remember us all watching it on TV, I think I was too distracted by our age difference and trying to look cool to really pay proper attention. I do, however, remember later that night, standing in my backyard looking up at the moon in wonder.

I was in a farm house outside of Ovala TX. Watching it on a fuzzy B/W TV.

Still remember the whole weekend because of the family reunion and all the fun we teens had. We stoped swiming at Lake Coleman to watch the landing. Went to the farm to watch the walk. The night before we broke down in Lawn. Lawn was so small all it had was one blinking light. Everyone out at the drivein movie with noone watching the movie. Everyone in the snak bar having a party.

O to be young again.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a farm house outside of Ovala TX. Watching it on a fuzzy B/W TV.

Still remember the whole weekend because of the family reunion and all the fun we teens had. We stoped swiming at Lake Coleman to watch the landing. Went to the farm to watch the walk. The night before we broke down in Lawn. Lawn was so small all it had was one blinking light. Everyone out at the drivein movie with noone watching the movie. Everyone in the snak bar having a party.

O to be young again.

My sentiment exactly. O to be young again. My friends and I had huge crushes on astronauts after that. When I realized it had been forty years, I sure felt old! (None of us ever did end up marrying astronauts)

My sentiment exactly. O to be young again. My friends and I had huge crushes on astronauts after that. When I realized it had been forty years, I sure felt old! (None of us ever did end up marrying astronauts)

Although some could make the case that if married to a TWItter they may not have married NASA astronauts but sure married someone who spent a lot of time in a space-like vacuum.

It was the summer between eighth grade and high school. I was taking Algebra I that summer so I could take Geometry in the fall. Classes were in the morning. I came home and watched it that afternoon with my Dad. (North Chicago suburbs -- I don't recall it being ESPECIALLY hot.)

George

It was the summer between eighth grade and high school. I was taking Algebra I that summer so I could take Geometry in the fall. Classes were in the morning. I came home and watched it that afternoon with my Dad. (North Chicago suburbs -- I don't recall it being ESPECIALLY hot.)

George

In northern NJ and the surrounding area.....it was brutally hot. Watching the landing wasn't too bad........but later on in the early evening the actual first moonwalk......that's when I remember the heat. But all areas of the country, of course, were different.

Wait a minute..

I don't remember the landing but... we're talking also about the first steps on the moon, right? Here's what I remember... it was a Sunday and I had gone to church that evening. When I got home, Neil Armstrong had already walked on the moon and I remember being miffed that I had missed it. Am I remembering it correctly I wonder?

sudo