GreaseSpot Cafe

Why is PFAL in mothballs?

waysider

The current thread on "Inactive Notices" started me thinking.

Why has The Way put PFAL, the class that started it all, on inactive status?

This is not so much about why it was replaced, but why it remains in mothballs, long after the vociferous herald of "present truth" has slipped into obscurity.

It was promoted as the greatest inroad to Biblical insight since the first century. It promised to answer questions that have plagued mankind for millennia. It came with a lengthy laundry list of ways it could improve one's life (ie: The Green Card) One poster has even suggested it was God-Breathed and, as such, replaces The Bible. They even tried to upgrade it once, in 1977, but found, much to their chagrin, that it was simply too "perfect" to be improved upon. So why wouldn't The Way hold it up like a cherished treasure for all the world to behold and revel in? Are they afraid it will come under a level of scrutiny that couldn't have been imagined at its conception? Are they afraid it will stand naked, with all its imperfections and deformities, in front of the world's picture window? It's like building a house and pretending the foundation doesn't exist.

Perhaps some current or recent (non)member could come to the fore and offer some insight.

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 2

Maybe they are waiting for the right kind of offer. Some offshoots think every word in it drips gold.

da way could retain ownership.. and just sell limited "publishing" rights of sorts.. I'm almost surprised they haven't advertised it on ebay..

but then about ninety five percent of those in offshoots are grads anyway. Legally, they could not be charged again..

maybe that's it. There's just no money in it any more.. there are probably enough illegal copies floating around, that those who wanted one bad enough probably already has one.

But I'll admit, it is odd.. where else is the "greatest work" of the "founder" of a group buried like this? look at the scientologists.. it would be like boxing and locking up dianetics and all..

• Upvote 2

Are they afraid it will come under a level of scrutiny that couldn't have been imagined at its conception? Are they afraid it will stand naked, with all its imperfections and deformities, in front of the world's picture window?

It pretty much already has--Here and at a hundred other sites--Even 99% of the people who once believed it have grown up and seen it for the swiss cheese theology that it is and moved on. It never held water and it certainly hasnt held any water over time.

It never was the E=mc2 great revelation to change the world, it was more like a glass of Tang that was empty of any nutrients and had a very short shelf life. If it was released today it would be laughed at as a bizarre relic of a bygone era--I dont extend much to the honchos but they must know that

• Upvote 4

where else is the "greatest work" of the "founder" of a group buried like this? look at the scientologists.. it would be like boxing and locking up dianetics and all..

or the LDS without The Book of Mormon

:)

Edited by waysider

This just occurred to me - whoever wants to could start pounding TWI with requests to get the video version put on DVD and made available to all people who took the class - free of charge, of course. I, unfortunately was never privy to the video version, which I was told was "superior" to the audio version I had to keep myself awake through.

• Upvote 1

I can't speak for the captains of illogic at The Way Corporation, but even if one believed that the theology in PFAL was correct, the presentation is definitely dated. Even when I took the class in '78 I thought Wierwille was pretty hokey.

So then, why not repackage the product instead of stashing it in a warehouse?

After all, "if you put pickles in a jar labeled peaches"----- :rolleyes:

This just occurred to me - whoever wants to could start pounding TWI with requests to get the video version put on DVD and made available to all people who took the class - free of charge, of course. I, unfortunately was never privy to the video version, which I was told was "superior" to the audio version I had to keep myself awake through.

Trust me when I tell you that the video was no prize when it came to staying awake! Especially the 11th time through it.

I suppose that if they tried to reintroduce it, they would be faced with having to recant so much of the *present truth* and *old wine skins* crap.

I think also that old wineskins, was a way for lcm to diminish and dismiss any leaders or believers who`s previous experience contradicted him or confronted the idiocy of some of his policies.

They would have to admit to being falible, that some of their policies and decisions lacked God`s stamp and approval.

I think that they must be terrified to open any door that would allow folks to consider that a leader might make mistakes. Their iron fisted power lay in their requirements of implicit obedience to every leaders whim, because they were in tune with God.

It must scare the hell out of them, the idea of people beginning to question, to require accountability.

• Upvote 1

Trust me when I tell you that the video was no prize when it came to staying awake! Especially the 11th time through it.

11 times? I have never watched anything that warranted watching 11 times - unless it was something Zucker Abrahams & Zucker wrote and directed, or one of the National Lampoon "Vacation" films.

11 times? I have never watched anything that warranted watching 11 times - unless it was something Zucker Abrahams & Zucker wrote and directed, or one of the National Lampoon "Vacation" films.

Well, ya see, Taz

You just haven't reached that level of spiritual maturity that allows you to realize there was a reason why VeePeePee scratched the RIGHT side (side of blessing) of his nose with the index (knowing this FIRST) finger of his RIGHT hand (hand of blessing) THREE times (completely, completely complete) in session number SEVEN (the number that signifies spiritual perfection). And now you may never have that chance again since the tapes have been retired to the pastures of The Beta Ranch.

Well, ya see, Taz

You just haven't reached that level of spiritual maturity that allows you to realize there was a reason why VeePeePee scratched the RIGHT side (side of blessing) of his nose with the index (knowing this FIRST) finger of his RIGHT hand (hand of blessing) THREE times (completely, completely complete) in session number SEVEN (the number that signifies spiritual perfection). And now you may never have that chance again since the tapes have been retired to the pastures of The Beta Ranch.

And risk the possibility that I could become even more insufferable than I already am? I don't think so.

I suppose that if they tried to reintroduce it, they would be faced with having to recant so much of the *present truth* and *old wine skins* crap.

I think also that old wineskins, was a way for lcm to diminish and dismiss any leaders or believers who`s previous experience contradicted him or confronted the idiocy of some of his policies.

Oh that's ok with me. LCM lost me at the point when he was willing to dance badly in tights.

I can't speak for the captains of illogic at The Way Corporation, but even if one believed that the theology in PFAL was correct, the presentation is definitely dated. Even when I took the class in '78 I thought Wierwille was pretty hokey.

I had that feeling too,the weird voice and all but I just kinda put it aside and kept on listening I should of listend to my instincts!

I dunno, I think this is something cults just DO.

Even the RC Church has old dogma they don't like to talk about anymore. Just ask "Mr". Claus or your local cafeteria menu planner (with all that fish stored up for Fridays).

And The JWs are trying pretty hard to distance themselves from the teachings of their founder - Charles Taze Russell. I think maybe he had one too many "prophecies" that didn't pan out so well.

And the Mormons don't spend a whole lotta time talking about the early daze of their church either. Like the habit Mr. Smith had of prophecying by looking at a black rock placed in a white hat. Or Mr. Smith's rather dubious translation of Egyptian heiroglyphs (this was pre-Rosetta Stone) that became another "foundational" book for the early Mormons. I think it was called "The Book of Abraham" - and turned out to be basically made up out of whole cloth, the "translation" being entirely erroneous.

• Upvote 2

Hmm. Could it also be, the scam has just run its course? The *wonderful* class was filmed in say, 1967.. and the students age today are in their fifties and sixties, and for the most part, they can't point to one solid substantial benefit, or positive difference it made. They enjoy no better health than the general populace.. no real difference in terms of prosperity. Maybe that's why they put the screws to the old timers.. hang around long enough, and you're just an embarrassment..

PFAL is in mothballs because it is so holy.

Ah, no - that would be "holey."

:biglaugh:

Edited by Twinky

Maybe there's no person with enough stature to make it happen? You have a group of people used to being led by the nose by a single person. Who is that today? Not Rosie. You had VPW who started the thing. He put his stamp on LCM who saw himself as a rock star. But Rosie kind of came in by default. No real authority as a MOGFODAT. Just the cleaner-upper after the last disaster. IMHO, things just drifted after they booted loy-boy. There were still some corpse around who yelled but it seemed like they lost their cheerleader. It was pretty quiet after that. My guess, if I had to make one, is there really isn't anyone in charge like before. Just a manager living off past history and today's bank account.

My question is will they ever try to craft a new VP-like person to excite the waybots? Some hokey sign from their god, perhaps, to show "we have a new MOGFODAT!"

JT