GreaseSpot Cafe

New front page article: Nostalgia for TWI Research Raises Questions

pawtucket

It seems this topic has returned to one of its major points – which concerns the inerrancy of the scriptures as a premise upon which VPW had built his empire. We all know what can happen when one takes this approach. The intense desire to show it to be true may drive someone to squeeze the scriptures searching for any “palusible confirmation” no matter how remote, or rationalizing (as Waysider had recently pointed out) to make it so even when he himself might have some doubt left. And of course we all know that is not doing an honest investigation.

I personally find nothing so wrong in starting with a premise, or an assumption, which (later on) might be seen as reasonably valid enough to venture a conclusion. (I worded it that way because no matter just how good something looks or how many points and arguments seem to make it true, one cannot still be 100% sure of its validity in the very end.) Nevertheless, some choice has to be made somewhere down the line, and I would select the one which made the most sense to me.

When starting with an idea that something might be true, I find it of the utmost importantance to stay objective and impartial, (just like any good jury) lest I fall into the trap of reading into things, and twisting or bending them in the direction of my idea – especially when they don’t seem to lead there naturally.

Certainly it is true to a point that if one continually searches for something and does not control his emotions and desire, he might just find it everywhere if he is not careful. This may even happen subconsciously, causing errors which lead to false assumptions that will form an ill-founded conclusion.

I personally believe it is available for one to have a strong urge to investigate such a “notion” while still holding his emotions in check while properly weighing all of the evidence so as to either support or to invalidate his original idea. Perhaps this is where VPW erred at times, grasping at straws in support of his claims and stopping far short of a more reasonable investigation before setting the idea in stone, and teaching it as 100% truth.

I noticed this many times in my years with TWI. They would only teach something to a certain point and then have you suppose that was enough to prove it. But if you personally and objectively re-examined the issue in more detail and your own conclusion contradicted theirs, they would shut their ears to your logic and give you their warning to stop and just accept it the way it is, saying, Who are you to say the MOG is wrong?!”

And didn’t he himself say something to the affect that most people are “held spellbound by the fleeting names of a few great men”? He said in PFAL, “Well – if the great so-and-so said it, it must be true! After all, he’s the greatest theologian in the world!” In my eyes, that’s exactly what he himself expected from the followers of The Way!!

Anyway – back to the issue of “inerrancy”. (And please forgive me if I am running on too much here, for I do have an issue.)

I must admit that I was led to believe "that premise” (to a point) by what was taught, because it seemed so logical in many catagories. However, I never believed 100% of what they showed – far from it! But enough of the scriptures seem to blend together to give me that impression. Oh yes – I am aware of the various other texts, and writings, whether or not they were cannonized as “holy scripture” by men. And yes – I am aware of the different renderings of Greek and Hebrew words by equally reknown scholars. These factors – and many more – would seem to gradually unravel the very idea that (at the least) some of scriptures really may have integrity after all.

I will admit here in this post (and sorry if it offends) that I really do believe there is something remarkable about the Bible in the way it “coheres”. And this was not merely by those who first planted that notion in my head (whom I left years ago) but through my own personal study – a quest if you like – which has taken since 1989 to feret out.

I have not drawn my conclusions based upon a little bit of circumstantial evidence here and there. To the best of my ability I have remained impartial while seeking evidence which seemed to relate with my “premise”. At first it was rather slow going, but after a couple of breakthroughs along the way, stronger and even more convincing points were able to be made. Several years into “the project” a major breakthrough occurred which left me virtually without question that I had somehow stumbled onto something HUGE!

What I then saw was so wonderful and intricate I had to ask myself if man was witty enough to have devised this on his own and write it down in a Bible. And if man was so adept, then why was this not just common knowledge ever since? Why has this been staring Biblical scholars right in the face for thousands of years, yet was not seen?

That breakthrough allowed more pieces of this puzzle to fall into place rapidly and easily with increasing frequency until I realized “enough was enough” and I could no longer deny the idea indeed seemed valid. And that was when I realized (despite all that was seen) I had only really found a drop in the ocean concerning this area.

So I decided to stand upon it and claim it as true – still realizing I could somehow yet be mistaken. But I decided to put my name to it anyway and publish it. No doubt many will believe it right away, others will see it in time, and (of course) there will be the dissenters. I see nothing so wrong in all of that – everyone makes his own choice. They must only be careful to make their own choice rather than to gullibly accept someone else’s as their own.

It is my hope that others with knowledge and skills far beyond mine in the various disciplines of theology, math, science, physics, evolution, etc. will apply those principles to what I have seen and help to discover more “drops” – maybe gallons or perhaps even enough to fill a swimming pool! Sometimes I feel as though I may have opened Pandora’s box ! :o

If you like, look at my findings when they finally make the bookstores. I am still open to suggestion and am still objective, but I warned already that I am fairly well convinced – yet still meek enough to respond to even better logic when it is offered.

Now, in your humble opinions – have I done something so wrong in coming to my “conclusion”? Can I help it if so many pieces seem to fit so perfectly together that I have become convinced God has authored and preserved his writings to at least some state of perfection which still remains intact today, despite man’s treatment of them over the centuries? Is He able to do that?

I didn’t intend to write so much here - but I'm posting it anyways. What the heck!

Love and Hope,

Spectrum49

:)

FreeUseRainbowPicture.jpg

Edited by spectrum49

I will admit here in this post (and sorry if it offends) that I really do believe there is something remarkable about the Bible in the way it “coheres”.

There's nothing offensive in that belief...it only becomes offensive when it is used as a jumping off point for calling those who believe differently idiots!

Now, in your humble opinions – have I done something so wrong in coming to my “conclusion”?

Nope. While I disagree with your conclusion, it's certainly a valid one.

Workman,

Is that a "major problem" with Penwork's definition (as you said earlier in your post) or just a "major problem"?

RE

Both.

Actually, inductive reasoning depends on the truthfulness of a base step. Then one shows for any other arbitrary step, one can prove the next one from the last one..

I agree to a degree. :rolleyes: A faulty major premise yields a faulty conclusion no matter how sound the minor premises or the evidence. The thing with major premises, they're also known as "givens."

Welcome to the Cafe, Workman.

just a thought.. the alternative makes one to force "inerrancy" in the bible, where it does not reasonably exist..

look at the lengths gone to in JCOP..

I don't think its a problem unless one makes it one. I think we were trained in the ministry to regard any other options than the bible being a perfect error free document (supposedly in the *original*) to be an attack from the devil spirit world or something..

Thanks for the welcome. :wave:

All I'm saying is that you can't dismiss research into the Bible that is based on the premise that it is "inerrant" -- as research -- any more than you can dismiss research into it that is based on the premise that it is "errant." Both are unprovable premises.

For instance, biblical critics of both stripes may practice research via one or the other or both, of what are called what are Higher Criticism and Lower Criticism of the biblical text -- which are both basically inductive methodologies. But the conclusions they come to, whichever inductive method they practice, nevertheless differ widely based on the critics' "givens" about the Bible with which they begin that research.

A quote from the Wikipedia article on Higher Criticism might help at this point (emphases added):

The questions of higher criticism are widely recognized by Orthodox Jews and many traditional Christians as legitimate questions, yet they often find the answers given by the higher critics unsatisfactory or even heretical. In particular, religious conservatives object to the rationalistic and naturalistic presuppositions of a large number of practitioners of higher criticism that lead to conclusions that conservative religionists find unacceptable.

Many conservative Bible scholars practice their own form of higher criticism within their supernaturalist and confessional frameworks. However, most traditional Christian exegetes examine the Bible chiefly through the Bible itself, believing that clear places in scripture give the best help in explaining the less clear places. Hence their exegetics, to one degree or another, depend upon lower criticism.

Other biblical scholars object that the evidence uncovered by higher criticism itself undermines the use of supernaturalist and confessional frameworks within the methodology. Meanwhile, religiously liberal Christians and religiously liberal Jews typically maintain that belief in God has nothing to do with the authorship of, for instance, the Pentateuch or the Pauline Epistles.

See in the first two phrases I highlighted, how people's premises affect the results of their research?

Meanwhile that third phrase I highlighted almost sounds like "the difficult verse must be understood in light of the clear verse," doesn't it? Because the methodology that V.P.W. used in his research was of the lower criticism kind. E.W. Bullinger too. And although it might ruffle feathers the wrong way here, both of them were pretty darn good at it in my book.

But of course, it is perfectly legitimate to contend with the results of their biblical research or anyone else's, making use of "higher" or "lower" criticism -- or any other type of inductive analysis for that matter -- to demonstrate the flaws in it. There are plenty of conservative Bible scholars out there, for instance, who believe in the inerrancy of the Scripture yet disagree strongly, not only with V.P. and E.W., but amongst themselves.

It is also perfectly legitimate to reject an entire line of research, if you believe the premise upon which is conducted is false. After all, it's a free country.

What I am saying is simple: It appears to me that what Penworks is claiming in her essay, is that V.P.W.'s research isn't research because she disagrees with his premise of inerrancy. My point is that her claim on that basis does not hold water.

A point that, I'm sure, A LOT of conservative critics of the Bible would would agree with me on, since her logic throws their research -- as research -- out the window along with V.P.'s.

Then you don't accept the well-ordering principle?

Sorry, I typed the above in answer to you while you were replying. I don't know what the "well-ordering principle" is.

Edited by Workman

Nicely put Workman,

The inerrancy premise is what most "Bible believing" Christians start with (VP, Bullinger and millions of others, BTW). Throwing out the baby (inerrancy) with the bathwater (in this case VP's womanizing and BS in many places) doesn't wash (pun intended).

RE

It is basically the foundation for inductive proof or argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-ordering_principle

I know its math.. but you were talking logic and proof or the lack of merit thereof..

Anyway.. I don't think that Penworks assertion was not that the bible is NOT inerrant. Just that if one wants to impose an inductive proof or analysis, one has to play by the rules. Is it inerrant, or not? "well, it is, because it says it is.."

hardly is a base step for the "proof".

Neither is "it can't be".

If faith or belief is so important.. isn't it counter-productive to force logic where it does not really apply?

Nicely put Workman,

The inerrancy premise is what most "Bible believing" Christians start with (VP, Bullinger and millions of others, BTW). Throwing out the baby (inerrancy) with the bathwater (in this case VP's womanizing and BS in many places) doesn't wash (pun intended).

RE

Yeah, you don't wanna see the FLAME WAR I got into with a guy, on a financial blog where I spend most of my online time. A guy who I would characterize as "an uber-libertarian crypto-anarchist."

...that's right, you guessed it, an Ayn Rand NUT (talk about a cult)...

The discussion pivoted around the same kind of logical error in play here, called a "Category Error." Something that I keep in mind whenever I'm exercising lower criticism-types of analyses on texts that I encounter -- and not just biblical texts.

It is basically the foundation for inductive proof or argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-ordering_principle

I know its math.. but you were talking logic and proof or the lack of merit thereof..

Anyway.. I don't think that Penworks assertion was not that the bible is NOT inerrant. Just that if one wants to impose an inductive proof or analysis, one has to play by the rules. Is it inerrant, or not? "well, it is, because it says it is.."

hardly is a base step for the "proof".

Neither is "it can't be".

If faith or belief is so important.. isn't it counter-productive to force logic where it does not really apply?

Like I pointed out in my first post on this thread, even science is based on an unprovable premise -- like you're saying, on "faith" or "belief." Namely, that scientific laws are valid across the entire observable universe. All scientists therefore assume, based upon this unprovable premise, that the results they obtain in controlled studies in the laboratory would be the same on Mars or on the other end of the galaxy. But that assumption will remain forever unprovable, unless they are able to repeat their experiments on Mars and points beyond.

Clearly, without some basic premise upon which to base inductive methodologies, research of any kind would be impossible. Interestingly, when it comes to scientific laws as currently defined, observational astronomy has made two discoveries that present severe challenges to three of the most basic sets of laws known to science. Observations of Dark Matter have presented a challenge to Newtonian Mechanics, and observations of Dark Energy have presented a challenge to both the first and second laws of thermodynamics.

Indeed, the Dark Energy Task Force has written in a report on this issue:

Dark energy appears to be the dominant component of the physical Universe, yet there is no persuasive theoretical explanation for its existence or magnitude. The acceleration of the Universe is, along with dark matter, the observed phenomenon that most directly demonstrates that our theories of fundamental particles and gravity are either incorrect or incomplete. Most experts believe that nothing short of a revolution in our understanding of fundamental physics will be required to achieve a full understanding of the cosmic acceleration. For these reasons, the nature of dark energy ranks among the very most compelling of all outstanding problems in physical science. These circumstances demand an ambitious observational program to determine the dark energy properties as well as possible.

Which is geek-speak for, "Holy Cr*p!!! What we're lookin' at through the Hubble is blowin' our cookies about the BASIC LAWS OF SCIENCE!"

Edited by Workman

Sorry, Workman, it all sounds like a bunch of verbal tap dancing to me. A scientific experiment that has been validated in, let's say, Kansas, has to produce the same results on Mars?? Where did you learn this approach to validation? It's really not as complex or intellectual as you try to make it sound. The "scriptures", as we know them, are chock full of errors and contradictions, not only because we no longer understand the nuances of the original languages and cultures but, also, because human tinkering has modified the contents time and time again. Wierwille didn't "research" anything. He simply twisted and squeezed and altered the Bible until he was able to make it conform to what he thought it should say. And, what he thought it should say was whatever best suited his own self-serving purposes. And, yet, people still harbor fond memories of how lambano sounds like laballo which sounds like ballo which sounds like ball which is an object to be tossed and, therefore, we are to toss it out into the senses world like a ball is tossed into the field of play.

I am my own Grandpaw.

Sorry, Workman, it all sounds like a bunch of verbal tap dancing to me. A scientific experiment that has been validated in, let's say, Kansas, has to produce the same results on Mars?? Where did you learn this approach to validation? It's really not as complex or intellectual as you try to make it sound. The "scriptures", as we know them, are chock full of errors and contradictions, not only because we no longer understand the nuances of the original languages and cultures but, also, because human tinkering has modified the contents time and time again. Wierwille didn't "research" anything. He simply twisted and squeezed and altered the Bible until he was able to make it conform to what he thought it should say. And, what he thought it should say was whatever best suited his own self-serving purposes. And, yet, people still harbor fond memories of how lambano sounds like laballo which sounds like ballo which sounds like ball which is an object to be tossed and, therefore, we are to toss it out into the senses world like a ball is tossed into the field of play.

I am my own Grandpaw.

Complex? Intellectual? Moi? I think you may need to reread.

Actually it's a simple as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510...

Actually it's a simple as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510...

Yeah. You can cut the "pie" into an "infinite" number of pieces if you want.

That doesn't change what The Way tried to pass off as "research".

It wasn't research, it was a confirmation, as well as a conformation, of Wierwille's preconceived conclusions.

Remember, we're not talking about research in general. We're talking about TWI "research" and how how people have a fondness for remembering it as it never was.

• Upvote 1

Hi Greasespotters:

Just a few more words about VPW and inerrancy. The examples he used to "prove inerrancy" are many and can be found in his publications. One way is in his approach to the gospels. For example, in an attempt to "show" that gospel contradictions are not really contradictions, he harmonized different accounts of the crucifixion and resurrection. Refer to the PFAL class and many threads here at GSC like:

VP and Bullinger harmonizing gospels

To "prove" inerrancy, he tried to splice the gospels together, ignoring their different views, as if he were editing scenes for a film.

In my view, the "film" he produced is actually a fifth gospel which not only does not reflect any of the original gospels writers' accounts as they were written, but makes VPW's account appear as if it is the "real" gospel. In my view, by doing that, VPW placed a false halo around the belief in "inerrancy."

By creating a "fifth" gospel, VPW reinterpreted each writer's "take" on events. In the process, he avoided having to deal with uncomfortable questions about why there are four different gospels to begin with and how we got them. I do not think that VPW's method respects the gospel texts (written about 35 to 65 years after Jesus died) as we have them today; it only makes VPW a 20st century Bible thumper who tries to sound as if he knows what the "real" gospel should be.

BTW – Workman: I checked your GSC profile and saw you mentioned your web site http://www.biblicalr...rchjournal.org/ . Since it is clear you are a proponent of VPW's research and methods, I imagine my line of thinking won't matter much to you since it comes from a different tradition of valuing Biblical documents. So, I offer this post to those interested who happen to still be reading this thread.

Cheers!

Edited by penworks

Yeah. You can cut the "pie" into an "infinite" number of pieces if you want.

That doesn't change what The Way tried to pass off as "research".

It wasn't research, it was a confirmation, as well as a conformation, of Wierwille's preconceived conclusions.

Remember, we're not talking about research in general. We're talking about TWI "research" and how how people have a fondness for remembering it as it never was.

Hey Way,

It is always interesting to me that while VP ended up as pretty much a sh_thead spiritually speaking, he was following an interesting path theologically. Sure, he plagiarized and he hustled a lot of people, he was a chameleon in many ways (as to the type of work he was supposed to have done... but it was another's all gussied up)and he wanted his 15 minutes of fame; all in the sh_thead catagory, IMHO. But his recognition of a form of inerrancy, his change to dispensationalism from Reformed Theology, his putting together of some pretty good things in a very simple form cannot be brushed off as no research at all. There was good work that came out of that very bad group. I still use it today with the caveat; the big caveat!

RE

But his recognition of a form of inerrancy, his change to dispensationalism from Reformed Theology, his putting together of some pretty good things in a very simple form cannot be brushed off as no research at all. There was good work that came out of that very bad group. I still use it today with the caveat; the big caveat!

I agree, Bob. In a "strange way" I am thankful to have been with TWI, for at least that is where I was first introduced to many things about the Bible. Surely I could have found those things elsewhere if I had continued my search for some group, but it was nice to have certain keys and principles in a package.

Although I am disgusted at the plagiarism and poor application (at times) of the very "research principles" they had taught, I (as you) admit there was some good work done - especially during the "early years". For me, that was in the mid 70's.

I do still use much of what I had gleaned from them, but with "caution", also as you had indicated. Certain things just make sense, like the italics in KJV and basic grammar skills like reading for the context instead of isolating things. I could go on and on with more examples of that which was good, but I believe I have made my point.

To say The Way had found nothing "original" or did "no research at all" is (IMHO) being narrow-minded. And I believe they did stumble onto a few things here and there, despite their misuse of proper investigative techniques.

Perhaps this may be explained by quoting something my dad used to say: "Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn every once in a while!"

SPEC

Edited by spectrum49

To come off as less complex and intellectual, you might want to quote PI out to a little less precision than 50. Just sayin' :biglaugh:

I agree, Bob. In a "strange way" I am thankful to have been with TWI, for at least that is where I was first introduced to many things about the Bible. Surely I could have found those things elsewhere if I had continued my search for some group, but it was nice to have certain keys and principles in a package.

One of the biggest current "selling points" of the Way International now is the "package" that VPW put together. Basically along the lines of the logic that his expertise and guidance from God led him to amalgamating the greatest teaching of the Bible known since the first century.

One of the main problems I have with this is the ethics premise behind it. The "end justifies the means" approach. IMO you can't unethically plagiarize from current peers, vaguely refer to their work, blend everything together, and come up with an ethical final result. The same brain, habits, background, morals that a man uses to research scriptures are the same he uses to live his life. The same stealing of people, research, using of people, acting like a little Napolean is present throughout the "package" that was communicated. That's why leaders after VPW have been unable to change that. It's part of who they are and what they learned.

While I can be thankful that the Way led me towards reading the Bible more, applying it more, and looking into languages deeper for building my understanding, outside of that, the "package" is a house of cards. It's illusion.

I frequently hear people say they are thankful they learned some good "stuff" in The Way. Like what, specifically? Reading things in context? Weren't we supposed to have learned that already in jr. high school English class? Even so, The Way may have told you to read things in context but then they set a lasting example of how to cherry pick scriptures to make their point.

So then what, specifically, are all these good things that people learned in The Way?

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 1

I frequently hear people say they are thankful they learned some good "stuff" in The Way. Like what, specifically? Reading things in context? Weren't we supposed to have learned that already in jr. high school English class? Even so, The Way may have told you to read things in context but then they set a lasting example of how to cherry pick scriptures to make their point.

So then what, specifically, are all these good things that people learned in The Way?

How to wash, dry, press, fold and store your invisible clothes.

To come off as less complex and intellectual, you might want to quote PI out to a little less precision than 50. Just sayin' :biglaugh:

Chockful:

Or - if one prefers to come off as more complex and highly intellectual, he might even want to quote PI out to 1000 places! Just sayin'... :biglaugh:

SPEC

PS: Sorry, Bolshevic. (I did fix it, but you read the original post too quickly.)

Edited by spectrum49

Wierwille did stumble on a few acorns, but his research was bogus. He preached exegesis, reading the meaning out fromwhat is written, but he practiced and taught eisegesis, reading foreign meanings into what is written, sometimes in the very same lesson, as with "to whom addressed".

Wierwille parroted Darby, Bullinger and Schofield, misapplying the meaning "a period of time" to oikonomia or "stewardship", obscuring the distinctions between what Paul calls "this present evil age" and the age to come.

Genesis 2:7 says the Lord God formed MAN (not his body) of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life (air in motion, man began breathing), and man BECAME a living soul. Man is a two part being composed of a dust component and a breath component (air in motion, literally; figuratively, life as evidenced by motion). A whole man can be viewed as a body. A whole man can also be viewed as a soul. And by the time of Paul, a whole man could be viewed as a spirit. When the breath or spirit (air in motion) leaves a man, that man becomes a dead soul.

This stuff isn't rocket science!

But the rat-poison in the package was when Wierwille taught that we are not to fear God. The fear of God is true humility, to recognize that God is God, and I am not. I need to change what I think to line up with what He says, not I need to change what He wrote to line up with what I think. The opposite of the fear of God is arrogance.

The NIV version of Psalm 36:1-4 reads,

"1 An oracle is within my heart concerning the sinfulness of the wicked:

There is no fear of God before his eyes.

"2 For in his own eyes he flatters himself

Too much to detect or hate his sin.

"3 The words of his mouth are wicked and deceitful;

He has ceased to be wise and to do good.

"4 Even on his bed he plots evil; he commits himself to a sinful course

And does not reject what is wrong."

Self-flattery. That was the rat poison that got to Wierwille, and the rat poison he put in our kool-aid. That was the rat poison in PFAL, and the rat poison that has screwed up every one of the off-shoots that try to perpetuate "the package" first put together by Wierwille.

Love,

Steve