GreaseSpot Cafe

Did you ever-------?

waysider

Did you ever, personally, hear someone speak in tongues in a language you understood? Oh, I know, we've all heard about how some guy in Distanceville, U.S.A, spoke in tongues at a twig meeting, only to have some newbie say, "Hey!, that's my native language and every word made sense!" No, not those incidents. I mean ones where you, personally, heard someone have tongues with interpretation in a language you understand. I asked this question back in my TWI daze. I think I'll hold the answer in abeyance.

I did. We were at an advance a whole state away....and somebody SIT in German...but I think it was high-German since I recognized it...but not every word. I got the gist of the interpretation as well (since I sorta understood the language)

I knew it was high German because in college I had to take German because I was a biology major and mostly we translated scientific papers which were written only in high German.

There was quite along thread about this, a couple of years ago. Regrettably, I can't find it now. Wolfie is good at finding things...?

I was at a leaders conference in TX where someone spoke in French.. Not that I knew a bunch of French, but the few words I could understand, I could pick out in the interpretation.. (But then someone who knew that person better than I mentioned the person "possibly" knew French...)

Can't say I have, but then I only really know English. Took on semester of French, flunked out of Spanish and took a year of Latin. I've forgotten almost every word I knew in those languages. I have met people who have said they understood the tongue being spoken, but it wasn't at TWI event.

I can understand how one might hear familiar words from another language such as French or Russian or German or Portuguese, but if the message is from God, shouldn't the context and syntax be accurate?

Given your initial question and now this one, according to Acts 2: 4 - 11 It should be. :)

Oh - - - and my answer (to the first question), is no.