GreaseSpot Cafe

It use to be fun to fly.

ex70sHouston

I spent a long weekend traveling to and from Asheville NC.

A few thunderstorms on the east coast on thursday through everything off. Then it went downhill.

What happened to the airline industry. You can't talk with anyone on the phone. They charge you for everything. Excuse me, they charge extra for anything.

OK I know I am not the smallest person around. The planes are so small I cant walk down the plane without hitting my head on the roof. Forget using the restroom during the flight. I cant sit down. The seats are broke and won't recline.

Ticketing agents arn't there to serve. They are there to direct you. Do not ask questions, they turn around and walk away. We sat at the gate in Atlanta for 2 hours. Our plane was there but no flight crew. Finally they showed up at 12:30 AM. They had to board us. No gate agents.

On the way back we sat in the plane for 40 minates waiting for gate space to open.

Our bags looked like they had fun smearing dirt and grease all over.

The only friendly nice people. The TSA in Asheville NC. My wife lost her drivers license and had no photo ID. It could have been a disaster. They were kind and understanding.

I do think that charging for "meals" and, God forbid, luggage is absurd. We artificially keep the fare low and then tack on the charges. It's not just the airlines, though. I rented a car recently. The rental wa $117, but there was another $50 in taxes and fees! And how about hotel rooms? Depending on how many sports stadiums a city is paying for, your room can easily have 20% or more tacked on. And a $30 auto tire, after taxes, valve stems, warranty, recycling fee, etc., will probably run $50. It never ends...

I've usually had good SERVICE with the airlines, though. Which airline did you fly?

George

It seems like almost anywhere I go,anything I buy, any store that I wander in to, that any type of customer service is almosta lost art.

Its not just airlines--its everywhere.

I had two run ins with FedEx last week. One was something that I Absolutely had to have the next day and paid $198.00 for shipping, which was more than the cost of the item itself--it arrived in 6 Days. 6---for OVERNIGHT SHIPPING

Another Item I ordered took 19 days to get to me and then some bozo called me at 5AM to ask where to deliver it ( uh..try the address on the package that might be a good start...Is that 80 blablabla Street?...Yea....is it hard to find?...no ones every had a problem before.... are there any nearby landmarks?..well theres a Blablabla streetsign right there, a gigantic 80 on the house and a big note to FED EX saying THIS IS THE HOUSE on the door-- is that enough?) Mind you this was at 5AM--

--FED EX then called me 3 more times that day for God knows what reason to find a very simple address that a child could find before I finally snapped on some agent who was giving me yet another moronic runaround about nothing.

It's not just Fed Ex, It's not just the airlines, its rampant and unfortunately its everywhere

To me its no wonder that businesses fail.

Its because They should.

If anyone knows anything at all about service in this country, they should be making a fortune right now, because otherwise it is just about dead

My recent flying experience...

Had to go from Ohio to Louisianna and back...

...I don't like the security...I suppose it's necessary but I still don't like the feeling of being in Nazi Germany in 1941...

Got stuck in the Atlana airport for over 3 hours...I found the smoking room...my eyes instantly started to burn and the smell of smoke was overwhelming...I still managed to finish my camel...

the flights were bare bones...a bag of peanuts and a cup of coffee.

No thanks, next time I drive...

I never liked to fly---ever. OK, let me rephrase that. I always enjoyed the physical sensation associated with being in-flight. But, I have always detested all the protocol it involves. And, I haven't even flown since 9/11! Not necessarily because of that particular event, just because I haven't needed to.

Customer service: I work in a customer service driven industry. We get the frequent company pep rallies where it's stressed to us that "the customer comes first.", blah, blah, blah. Guess what? If, as a technician, you really adjusted your already over booked scheduled to make every customer happy, you'd be working 25 hours a day. It's the way these companies operate that needs to change, not the poor souls who are trying their best to provide a decent level of service. I think that's a point that needs to be remembered when addressing complaints.

Tommy,

Some of it depends on the particular airline, but here are some likely changes since 2000:

SECURITY: It varies from airport to airport and with time of day, but expect a much longer time in line. When you finally get to the front of the line, expect to have to remove all metal, including coins, rings, belt, and your SHOES. Your carry-on may also get a random drug check (the surface is wiped with a chemically-treated tissue to detect traces of drugs). Also, you may not be able to carry on larger-sized toiletries (shampoo, shaving cream, cologne). I'd pick up some travel-size items at a local drug store or the like.

LUGGAGE: not much difference in the actual handling of suitcases, etc., though many airlines charge extra now if you have checked baggage. Also, when you get to your destination and open your luggage, you might find a nice note from the Transportation Security Agency letting you know that they opened your bag and rifled through the contents.

MEALS: except in First Class, airlines now provide really minimal food service, often none at all if the flight isn't during "meal time." You'll probably still get a soft drink and some pretzels. And, airlines are now letting you bring your own food on board.

SEATING: still generally pretty crowded, especially since airlines have reduced the number of flights. The "emergency egress" seats near the wings usually have a bit more leg room, but those seats get reserved pretty quickly (for that reason).

CRYING BABIES: no change. ;)

George

Actually, you probably can still check your bags at the curb. I suspect that tipping is accepted,especially if the attendant refers to himself as a "Sky Cap."

George

One more thing: Only ticketed passengers can go past security to the gate. So, no family to see you off, or meet you at the arriving gate. If soneone is picking you up, you can meet at baggage claim or outside the terminal.

Although a lot of what has been commented on in this thread applies worldwide, I have to say that the air service personnel in the US are soooooo unpleasant that many people I know who do choose to fly will go "the other way round" so as to avoid having to pass via the US.

And that's despite getting twice the luggage allowance. If passengers fly via the US, they can take twice as much, weight-wise.

For a country that (says it) prides itself on good service, the US air service industry has such a looooong way to go, to match the reality with the hype.

Actually, you probably can still check your bags at the curb. I suspect that tipping is accepted,especially if the attendant refers to himself as a "Sky Cap."

George

One more thing: Only ticketed passengers can go past security to the gate. So, no family to see you off, or meet you at the arriving gate. If soneone is picking you up, you can meet at baggage claim or outside the terminal.

Last time I flew (early July) nobody was passing bags to Sky Caps to check through...all bags had to be brought to the check in counter and weighed. Each bag had to be paid for then (It was not on the price of the ticket) and also if the bag was over 50 pounds bore an additional charge. This was on Continental Air.

The only airline that I know of at the moment that still takes one bag per passenger FREE is Jet Blue.

I'm worried. I plan to fly to Florida this fall and it will be my first flight since Nov' of 2000. Anything I should be prepared for ?

..... And Tommy, whatever you do, DO NOT make any jokes or off hand remarks regarding security, bombs, guns, etc --- even if in total jest. I'm not trying to be bossy, I just don't want to read about you in the next day's headlines :anim-smile: There is as an absolute No Tolerance policy.

Last time I flew (early July) nobody was passing bags to Sky Caps to check through...all bags had to be brought to the check in counter and weighed. Each bag had to be paid for then (It was not on the price of the ticket) and also if the bag was over 50 pounds bore an additional charge. This was on Continental Air.

The only airline that I know of at the moment that still takes one bag per passenger FREE is Jet Blue.

Actually, I usually fly Continental, living near Houston, and all. I flew to Vegas a month ago. In Houston, I had to bring my luggage (a bari sax) to the counter, but on my return trip I could check the instrument at the curb. The attendant there referred to himself as a "Sky Cap." In both cases, I prepaid for the saxophone online. (Fortunately, it weighs less than 50 lbs.)

George

Actually, I usually fly Continental, living near Houston, and all. I flew to Vegas a month ago. In Houston, I had to bring my luggage (a bari sax) to the counter, but on my return trip I could check the instrument at the curb. The attendant there referred to himself as a "Sky Cap." In both cases, I prepaid for the saxophone online. (Fortunately, it weighs less than 50 lbs.)

George

GsG - - - They wouldn't let you carry it on board?? Something like that should easily fit in an overhead compartment.

edited to add - - - that's smaller than a banjo case, and those fit overhead. Hmmmmm.

Edited by dmiller