GreaseSpot Cafe

First Century Parallels

waysider

*It reminds me of when Paul and Barnabas were travelling together after God called them to a specific work. They were out traveling as “WOW Ambassadors.” They rode into one city after another teaching the greatness of God’s Word until they were chased out of each city. Finally, by the third city, just when many were beginning to believe, the unbelievers from the previous two cities came to town and convinced the people to stone Paul…and they did. After they dragged him out of the city “supposing he had been dead,” the disciples stood around him and he got up and went back into the city. The next day Paul and Barnabas went to one more city and taught the Word to many, and then they did the craziest thing. They turned right around and headed straight back into those cities where they had just taught the Word and where their names were on all the “Most Wanted: Dead or Alive” posters. They went right back in to where they had just barely escaped the danger with their lives, and they had not escaped scratch free. Why did they go back into the danger zone? In Acts 14:22 it says they went “confirming the souls of the disciples.” They went back in order to reestablish and strengthen those new believers who had just heard the Word for the first time and saw Paul and Barnabas get chased out of town or get stoned. They went back because of their love for the believers. It is written, “Perfect love casts out fear” (I John 4:18)*

*From previously listed link

Am I mistaken or is this being directly quoted from VPW? (No attribution is given in the link.)

Edited by waysider

*It reminds me of when Paul and Barnabas were travelling together after God called them to a specific work. They were out traveling as "WOW Ambassadors." They rode into one city after another teaching the greatness of God's Word until they were chased out of each city. Finally, by the third city, just when many were beginning to believe, the unbelievers from the previous two cities came to town and convinced the people to stone Paul…and they did. After they dragged him out of the city "supposing he had been dead," the disciples stood around him and he got up and went back into the city. The next day Paul and Barnabas went to one more city and taught the Word to many, and then they did the craziest thing. They turned right around and headed straight back into those cities where they had just taught the Word and where their names were on all the "Most Wanted: Dead or Alive" posters. They went right back in to where they had just barely escaped the danger with their lives, and they had not escaped scratch free. Why did they go back into the danger zone? In Acts 14:22 it says they went "confirming the souls of the disciples." They went back in order to reestablish and strengthen those new believers who had just heard the Word for the first time and saw Paul and Barnabas get chased out of town or get stoned. They went back because of their love for the believers. It is written, "Perfect love casts out fear" (I John 4:18)*

Well, if Paul and Barnabas were WOW's then they sure were not free to go from town to town. They had a perimeter, had to be in by midnight, and could only work a partial schedule. Were they living with two women?

Paul was preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. Not teaching that the bible interprets itself.... Paul was not stoned because he revealed how many were really crucified or believing equals receiving.....was he believing to be dragged out and stoned? Did he forget needs and wants have to be parallel?

He was telling people they had to repent and turn from sin to follow Christ. They didn't like it.

I don't think Paul was returning to undershepherd(Is that a word?) some newbies...recent PFAL grads...or dogging their steps until they signed up for the Intermediate class. Because we all know that is how you love someone. That is....until they don't sign up.....then you stop taking their calls.

They really don't care. It makes absolutely no difference to them..

can't take the time to examine something "negative"..

they really think the old organization, hierarchy and corps "program" was a real "success"..

"ruined" by a *few* "bad men".

the kid lists gramps as one of his heroes..

They really don't care. It makes absolutely no difference to them..

can't take the time to examine something "negative"..

they really think the old organization, hierarchy and corps "program" was a real "success"..

"ruined" by a *few* "bad men".

the kid lists gramps as one of his heroes..

To bad, they're believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

I often wonder where we get this one-trick pony mindset: If a little is good, more is better, and too much is just right.

Can you just see that board meeting? "Well, Craigmiester's Way went over like a pregnant woman on a pole vault, so what do we do now to boost these sagging returns? I know, we'll revitalize the Old Way--the Tree, LEAD, the Corps, WO-freaking-W. It'll be a peach, a peach I'm telling you."

Wouldn't suprise me if they had a plan in the works to try and resurrect Saint Vic. Probably the highlight of the New ROA--New and Improved, Now With 20% More God.

They just don't want to face the fact that ship has sailed. People have wised up to their little Ponzi scheme. And, of those that never heard of them, if they know how to use a keyboard, they can find out.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

Oh!It is because the ministry of reconcilation is not being practiced is why our economy is a mess huh?

Sure,follow me we have the true word,We can put it together for you.Prosper?Whose new house?

Junior go get a real job,sweat like everybody else does to get ahead.The old geezers put you up front

to appeal to the younger crowd.

Oh!It is because the ministry of reconcilation is not being practiced is why our economy is a mess huh?

Sure,follow me we have the true word,We can put it together for you.Prosper?Whose new house?

Junior go get a real job,sweat like everybody else does to get ahead.The old geezers put you up front

to appeal to the younger crowd.

If its anything, its the opposite. Practicing Way principles got us into this mess. Figure, how many people believed, despite what they were told about a coming real estate crash, that they would be able to flip their house and make a killing? How many believed, in spite of what their eyes told them, that the stock market was only making a correction and would go right back up?

Believing, in spite of the evidence, is what fueled this economic mess.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

Check out the photos - there's a bit called "Talking with Shirley" or some such. Such nice trailer homes in the background!

Now With 20% More God

20% more of zero - is still zero.

You can’t tell me that every “Christian” in the USA has heard the true Word of God.

(from the SOWERS newsletter, link in post #1)

Did you miss what Craigmiester said? When he suspended the WOW program he said it was because everybody in the world had heard the Word of God. Don't you listen to your own leadership?

Although Martindale then saw the suspension of WOW as an attack by evil devil spirits, by summer of 1995 he recast it as a Way victory. The told Corps grads that the Ambassadors had accomplished their mission of getting God's "Word over the world."

(source)

He might want to rethink the smile however. He reminds me a little too much of a shark eyeing its dinner.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

The First Century Church...

...was undoubtedly set up with each fellowship being self-governing, being as the fellowships were so far apart. Though with advice available where necessary and to point out obvious errors (like incest in the Corinthian church)

...was characterized by sharing what they had with each other - that's what impressed outsiders and won converts

...respected local leaders, and worked hard to ensure that believers lived and worked in peace with one another

Compare and contrast.