GreaseSpot Cafe

The Anderson Library

pawtucket

In October 2009, Franklin wrote to Heather Wade, university archivist: “We have visitors in the ceiling... running all over from where Shari’s desk used to be over through the old reading room... they are very active and quite unsettling...”

maybe..

just maybe. The new "inhabitants" are wayfers, reincarnated..

:biglaugh:

Maybe they could sell it at an exorbitant price, as a haunted mansion, or something..

:biglaugh:

Maintaining old historic buildings can be very expensive. A "bag with holes," if you like. Don't blame TWI. They, along with all subsequent purchasers, bought the problem...but how much is the repair cost really worth it?

Logically a lot of these old building should be demolished and rebuilt...not cost-effectaive to repair...but then lots of history gets lost. The question is: what price history?

Maybe it should be sold for $1 on condition that the new purchaser puts it into good repair, and gives a bond to that effect.

Discerning of Plaster

The manifestation of Discerning of Plaster is your operation of the God-given ability whereby you may receive from God, by His revealing it to you, certain truths or facts concerning any plaster about which it is humanly impossible to know by your five senses to know anything.......

Edited by waysider

Maintaining old historic buildings can be very expensive. A "bag with holes," if you like. Don't blame TWI. They, along with all subsequent purchasers, bought the problem...but how much is the repair cost really worth it?

Logically a lot of these old building should be demolished and rebuilt...not cost-effectaive to repair...but then lots of history gets lost. The question is: what price history?

Ive never seen the Anderson library but preservation of historic buildings is part of my job. At 110 years the building is not really all that old. Ive worked on many buildings that are 150-200 years old or more that have been properly maintained through the years or restored that are in great condition.

IMO historic buildings are almost always worth keeping unless they are beyond reclamation.

This country has already lost too many of its architectural treasures

That library was also a gift to the people of Kansas. A gift.

I live in apart of the country (New England) that places value on its historic structures and generally maintains them very well.

I have no idea what the outlook is in Kansas but apparently its much different. It is now owned and stewarded (well supposedly) by the State who apparently have decided to let it slide into disrepair.

There is no reason buildings like that shouldnt last for hundreds and hundreds of years except for neglect and pi$$ poor building management.

If I were a resident Id be livid.

I doubt many more people will be lining up to give a library to the people of Kansas----after seeing the way they care for things I know that I wont.

Edited by mstar1

Discerning of Plaster

The manifestation of Discerning of Plaster is your operation of the God-given ability whereby you may receive from God, by His revealing it to you, certain truths or facts concerning any plaster about which it is humanly impossible to know by your five senses to know anything.......

And that's another thing, thanks for bringing this up, isn't that a run-on, and redundant sentence? I'm talking about the definitions from the A-Class. That always bothered me.

And that's another thing, thanks for bringing this up, isn't that a run-on, and redundant sentence? I'm talking about the definitions from the A-Class. That always bothered me.

I studied those definitions for SO many hours and never did come to a clear understanding of how to do what the definition said. The defs. are exactly what you said - "run-on, and redundant sentence."

MStar, I couldn't agree more about the importance of preserving wonderful old buildings. I have no twi-associated nostalgia for Anderson Library. In fact, think I only stepped foot in it once. But it was a beautiful building, complete with glass floors upstairs. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore, and if they did, it would cost a fortune.

If the people of Emporia, Kansas, are smart, they'll be fighting hard to save this irreplaceable building.

Oh, and for the people who were alarmed about the mice I have one word: Cat.

• Upvote 1

Ah, I wish you could see that run-on sentence it in the original! It is magnificent. I have seen it in the original; I have the old manuscript in my library. I wish you could see it.

Discerning of Plaster

Discerning of Bad Stewards

Is your observations in the senses world of people that are too distracted, preoccuppied or lazy to take the time to perceive genuine problems or potential problems that are painfully obvious to the naked eye, nor to develop and implement plans that address said problems.

also known as see no evil; and sweeping it under the carpet

There is a parable about the bad steward somewhere--its not a good thing

MStar, I couldn't agree more about the importance of preserving wonderful old buildings. I have no twi-associated nostalgia for Anderson Library. In fact, think I only stepped foot in it once. But it was a beautiful building, complete with glass floors upstairs.... They sure don't make 'em like that anymore,

Thats the

Manifestation of cheap, quick,uninspired, shortsighted and cheesy--- one of the most utilized manifestations in our day and in our time.

Where previous generations would take 100 years to build a cathedral, build a library that should last 500 years or a home meant for generations, our generation is very adept at building grotesque megamarts in a month, stripmalls in a week, and cookie cutter houses made of compressed paper

All the more reason to preserve those old buildings, if only to remind people what can be built when people care about what they do

To me the most striking thing about the TWI library was how lousy the selection of books was. Having used good libraries in Christian colleges and seminaries, the ineptness of the Way library was glaring. They were missing nearly all of the very basic books and collections. For a ministry that emphasized "research" to be so utterly lacking of good research material is ridiculous.

Of course, if the point of research to to reguritate what "The Teacher" said, no matter how shallow and inept, then all you really need on hand is a few collaterals, much of which was plagiarized.

Of course, having time to actually use a library would be a precursor to having a decent selection of reputable books.

Though, in the beginning, wasn't "study hall" held in the library? Dunno, I only got to clean up the library just before Emporia was sold off. Some of the books were actually taken to put in the library (?) at HQ.

No, "study hall" was always held in Wierwille Library. Wierwille was a library in name only as there were not books or study materials were kept there. It was actually a meeting center. When I was College Division in '75/'76, the Chapel was also used for meetings, mostly classes.

Johniam's right, there were few good books if any in Anderson Library. Someone said a while back that Don Wierwille bought out a library to get the books. It was an attempt to satisfy one of the the Kansas Board of Regent's requirements to be an accredited college. I don't know personally if that is true, but it's plausible.

No, "study hall" was always held in Wierwille Library. Wierwille was a library in name only as there were no books or study materials kept there. It was actually used as a meeting center. Johniam's right, there were few good books if any in Anderson Library.

Someone said a while back that Don Wierwille bought out another library's books to place in Anderson. It was an attempt to satisfy one of the the Kansas Board of Regents' requirements for accreditation. I don't know personally if that is true, but it's plausible.

Edited by Broken Arrow

library is now part of Emporia State University. btw my hometown of Valley Falls is NW of Emporia near Wichita, Leavenworth, and other cities in NW KS on state route 4, just off I-35