GreaseSpot Cafe

DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR

100% Free

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

Yeah Yeah Yeah. Just like the Loyster could run a fortune 500 co, Hi Co Caravan could make Nashville, all Waaaaahcorpse can immediately walk into at least middle management upon leaving full time staff......Yada Yada Yada....

Hey that would make a funny thread. What other delusions of grandeur were there that people claimed to give up to serve twi?

The good thing about the internet is, if somebody claims to have been an amazing football player it now only takes a minute to find out if it's true.

One leader I knew had been in a band for a short while. There was even an album. I don't know what label if any, had signed them. But it was really bad, don't think many bought it. He held on to an old record player so he could relive his glory days. I had to refrain from cringing when he played it. Even w/out him going into the corpsey he would have never been a succesful musician.

He hadn't played or practiced in years, but it seemed like he held on to this belief that he had sacrificed fame and fortune to serve the one true God. He acted all noble about it. I alternated between feeling sorry for him or wanting to laugh.

He held up himself and his short lived, unremarkable music career as an example to the rest of the household. The last time I heard him teach, he was still bringing it up twenty something years later.

VP was The Big Kahuna when it came to delusions of grandeur. He invented the hook shot, developed the original business model for McDonald's, knew how to set snow on fire, understood more about the holy spirit field than anyone alive, possessed special knowledge from God that no one had seen in 2,000 years and could command God to make it snow.... just for him. No wonder we became delusional. Look at the role model we patterned our lives after.

edit

After thinking about this, it occurred to me that he probably didn't really believe these claims himself. He was a con-man. We were the ones who were delusional regarding these matters.

Edited by waysider

Delusions of Grandeur...??

1) Victor Paul Wierwille as "THE man of God"

2) The Wierwille family MUST stand together on the "word of God" or.....splat!

No Wierwilles around and it has gone splat. Bet they don't say that now......... Oh yeah, the revelation must have changed.

100% Free, Your post about the "musician" really tickled me. :biglaugh: Thanks for sharing that.

You're welcome. btw, I love dogs too!

• Upvote 1

VP was The Big Kahuna when it came to delusions of grandeur. He invented the hook shot, developed the original business model for McDonald's, knew how to set snow on fire, understood more about the holy spirit field than anyone alive, possessed special knowledge from God that no one had seen in 2,000 years and could command God to make it snow.... just for him. No wonder we became delusional. Look at the role model we patterned our lives after.

edit

After thinking about this, it occurred to me that he probably didn't really believe these claims himself. He was a con-man. We were the ones who were delusional regarding these matters.

Actually,

I thought he knew some of those were bs when he said them,

but I think he actually conned HIMSELF by the end,

when he was lamenting he was losing his eye after "never being sick a day in my life"

and not even having A HEADACHE HIS ENTIRE LIFE and then going to losing an eye

due to cancer,

he also supposedly spent part of his final hours going over things in his head,

and told someone privately that he was trying to figure out where he'd

missed it somehow. His idea was his "LAW" of Believing would allow him to magically

heal his body- so since it was a "LAW", something must be interfering and preventing

it from acting, like someone catching an apple, preventing gravity from pulling it

to the ground as it fell from a tree (my example.)

If he REALLY thought all that was true, and convinced himself he could rewrite reality

with force of will (without a power ring and a Green Lantern), then he actually looked

back over the past few decades and was unable to find hundreds of sinful things that

any sane person could identify. Since he was just talking privately to one person,

I think he'd really convinced himself that what began as intentional lies were now

the truth and reality reflected them.

Maybe, WW, but, we really only have, as far as I know, one person's assertions that he (genuinely) lamented his fallibility. And, these supposedly genuine lamentations are showcased in a document (P.O.P.) that is filled with inconsistencies and fantasy.

edit: The "fantasy" element is initially introduced when Wierwille is referred to as a "patriarch".

Edited by waysider

Maybe, WW, but, we really only have, as far as I know, one person's assertions that he (genuinely) lamented his fallibility. And, these supposedly genuine lamentations are showcased in a document (P.O.P.) that is filled with inconsistencies and fantasy.

edit: The "fantasy" element is initially introduced when Wierwille is referred to as a "patriarch".

Oh, I'm sure he never regretted his well-orchestrated sin structures and executions of sin.

What he lamented was his supposed IMPERFECTION- not that people actually were hurt,

and not that he'd let down God Almighty.

I was thinking of a poster here having seen vpw in the last day of his life, while he was

lamenting only that he was flawed SOMEHOW but couldn't figure out HOW.

And if that statement isn't proof of a Delusion of Grandeur, nothing is.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but, I'm posting a link to an old article that clearly demonstrates Wierwille was, indeed, cognizant of his deception.

HERE

edit:

The man wasn't satisfied to merely plagiarize their scholastic endeavors, he even repeated their personal experiences, as if they were his own.

Edited by waysider

Re: The Hook Shot

By 1942, DePaul University freshman George Mikan had already mastered the ability to execute a hook shot...... with either hand!

SOURCE

I suspect the hook shot existed long before Wierwille learned to dribble.

Edited by waysider

Re: The Hook Shot

By 1942, DePaul University freshman George Mikan had already mastered the ability to execute a hook shot...... with either hand!

SOURCE

I suspect the hook shot existed long before Wierwille learned to dribble.

But, but......

Young wierwille, hiding in the way woods from his father to avoid work, had erected

a make-shift backboard and barrel hoop for practice. Within weeks, he'd perfected the

long shot and then, while stumbling over a stump, he "hooked" it in the air and it went in.

Just like that!.....wierwille did it, first, at age 15 (1932).

Nobody saw it.....but he told the corps years later.

Then the snowstorm came.....

Oh, I'm sure he never regretted his well-orchestrated sin structures and executions of sin.

What he lamented was his supposed IMPERFECTION- not that people actually were hurt,

and not that he'd let down God Almighty.

I was thinking of a poster here having seen vpw in the last day of his life, while he was

lamenting only that he was flawed SOMEHOW but couldn't figure out HOW.

And if that statement isn't proof of a Delusion of Grandeur, nothing is.

I am the poster you are trying to remember. About 10 years ago I was at a CFF event in Troy, Ohio and ended up in a long conversation with onr of VP's daughters. A part of the conversation was about his final days.

The last person to visit VP before his death was one of his nieces. In their conversations, VP seemed somewhat bewildered and wondered where he had gone wrong.

Edited by dabobbada

I have no doubt that Wierwille may have inadvertently "discovered" (stumble onto) the hook shot. Hell, 11 year old boys inadvertently "discover" masturbation.

If you practice hoops enough, you're bound to stumble on some version of the hook shot, all by yourself. When I was a kid, I got an acoustic guitar for Christmas or a birthday or something. One day, I found myself strumming chords with my thumb instead of the pick. Hallelujah! I invented the "thumb strum". I was the first!.

Edited by waysider

I have no doubt that Wierwille may have inadvertently "discovered" (stumble onto) the hook shot.

waysider......perhaps I should have added a 'sarc tag' to my post. I have no idea

if wierwille shot any hoops at all.

And, really......give a kid a ball and lots of time.....and all kinds of kicks, hooks, jams,

and throws are 'discovered.' When I was a kid, we'd play basketball in the wintertime at the

local park. It would sometimes get so cold, that we could spit on the pole and it'd freeze in

30 seconds. hahaha

. It would sometimes get so cold, that we could spit on the pole and it'd freeze in

30 seconds. hahaha

Kinda makes me wonder how anybody ever "just decided" to stick their tongue on a flag pole.

"Hey, guys, let's stick our tongues on the flagpole and see what happens!" :confused:

Yeah, and God called W to be president... and now he's calling Michelle O'Bachman and Rick Santorum to be president.

Hey, Rocky......what's with the political jab?

If politics were to enter this discussion, I'm sure there are others who would counter

that by saying "So.....in 2008, did God call Obama to the office of US President?"

Religion and Politics......Beware of the leaven of the hierarchy!!!