GreaseSpot Cafe

Would they be forbbeden not to celebrate this holiday too?

Naten00

http://believerbob.blogspot.com/2010/03/bars-closed-on-st-patricks-day.html#links

If the info in this is true..... I assume that it would be one of those things they would not partake in.... Any comments?

I think they ignore St. Patrick's day since it's Roman Catholic at heart? Someone correct me if I am wrong, my memory is a little fuzzy. I know the corner pub up the street is tapping a keg of green beer at 6pm today....lol

"Celebrate" is all in the how you do it! After all they did somehow celebrate St. Valentin's day aka Happy Hearts Day.

Maybe they had green millet or something.

They might have used it as an excuse for a once-in-a-blue-moon dance etc.

But really - - there is nothing important to celebrate so they were safe in recognizing the green-ness. It is, particularly for the Irish, though. Catholics used the green but protestants used orange instead.

It seems to me in the early '70s, St. Patty's was morphed into Uncle Harry Day which was also turned into "Burn the Chaff Day."

For Naten, burn the chaff was where you would bring books, record albums, clothes, anything which "held you down from being your best for god" and burn them out of your life.

It seems to me twi had no problem using a holiday as long as they could convert it to convey what they wanted it to mean. Once you understood the holiday from twi terms, you could celebrate it or not as you pleased. This could cause problems when some uptight leaders came into an area where we were into enjoying Happy Ho-ho or all hallows eve with the kids.

I actually taught a fellowship about how fantastic St Patrick was because he preserved so much of the Bible in the monasteries he founded - the monks would copy texts brought from Rome, Greece, and Egypt. Never was reproved on that. I wonder how I got away with it?

It seems to me in the early '70s, St. Patty's was morphed into Uncle Harry Day which was also turned into "Burn the Chaff Day."

If I recall correctly.......

Twi morphed this from....1) Burn the Ballast, 2) Burn the Chaff Day, to 3) Uncle Harry Day

Burn the Ballast was to get rid of anything excessive that is holding you down.

Burn the Chaff Day......self-explanatory. Besides, I grew up on in wheat country.....saw stubble fields burned.

Uncle Harry Day.......Harry died in fall of 1977, so Uncle Harry Day was recognized March 1978. Wasn't March 17th

Harry's actual birthdate? Oh, and Harry would "empty" his bank account every year except one dollar. So folks,

burn your books, get rid of stuff, empty your bank accounts.......and live abundantly. sarc/

I know I started this thread but....... I don't want to start something to derail what we are talking about, but.....

when ever someone in TWI refers to the headquarters or the HQ..... I have a picture in my head of Dr. Evil feeding the spy to sharks with lasers on their heads..... Is that wrong or am I on to something?

I actually taught a fellowship about how fantastic St Patrick was because he preserved so much of the Bible in the monasteries he founded - the monks would copy texts brought from Rome, Greece, and Egypt. Never was reproved on that. I wonder how I got away with it?

The Irish monks not only stored and copied christian texts, but many of the other great works of of the ages. Once Europe started coming out of the dark ages, the Irish were a major source of the enlightenment.

The Irish monks not only stored and copied christian texts, but many of the other great works of of the ages. Once Europe started coming out of the dark ages, the Irish were a major source of the enlightenment.

Damn straight we were!