GreaseSpot Cafe

What could go wrong?

skyrider

Looking back at the twi scenario and experience......what could go wrong?

A lazy man tries to decide what's the easiest path thru life.....farming, business or a minister. Since he loathes the thought

of the hard labor that comes with farming or the dedicated persistance that goes with business, the ministry is his fall-back choice.

So, off he goes to get edji-cated, and even then......looks for the path of least resistance as he scales his "Pikes Peak doctorate."

As a young pastor in need of work, he spends sixteen years in two church pastorates that he, again, loathes. He is stuck and going

nowhere in a structure that constricts and confines......and he doubts whether the words "holy bible" are even true. He plugs along

and realizes, even in his narcissism that the ONLY WAY OUT IS LEARNING FROM OTHER MEN AND THEIR RESEARCH. So, he keeps listening to

radio broadcasts, going to seminars and reading thru commentaries that he would later claim to trash their worthlessness.

In taking BG Leonard's class, wierwille seizes on a pathway out of the church structure.....the class-based model. Four years later,

wierwille resigns from his Van Wert Church....of which, 5 months later they erase his name from the clergy listing. Now, wierwille

begins a stretch of fits-n-starts to gain footing and after Old Man Wierwille dies and the wierwille homestead becomes a possible

headquarters for the upstart location, a growing number of Troy followers refused to support a wierwille farm mortgage and the future

move to the farmstead was a cold non-event in February 1962.

Live classes year after year added bumps of support, but fizzled in support. This live-class strategy was time-consuming and yielded very

little movement forward. New technologies must be employed to "put wierwille in front of more people." Even for all its trumpeted glory,

the pfal filming was a meager, furniture-renting, time-constraining, flunky-amateurish, retina-burning experience. Seemingly, the Jesus Movement

in America helped to spark a fire of spirituality in the youth.......and wierwille took this burning coal back to the farmstead. Like the MLM

business model, could it be that some floundering for direction might see this involvement as a leg up to their future as well?

The corps program was the carrot for the donkey......and he kept pulling the cart while wierwille sat in the farmhouse and smoked his kools.

More carrots, more carts.....and in a few years there were donkeys everywhere. And, twi made an a$$ of anyone who eyed those carrots.

A growing number of followers does NOT make a movement godly.......does it?

What could go wrong?

Oh, you missed the best part. Get a bunch of sucker kids to do the dirty work for free. No, wait! Make them actually pay you for the "privilege" of working. What could go wrong?

And.....when they come to an annual festival, assign them MORE work.

And still.....designate a "corps week" to have them leave their secular jobs early and work for free MORE.

And further.....denegrate them for their LACK OF COMMITMENT.

What could go wrong?

For those who want to grow up and pursue more education......disdain SECULAR education.

For those who start having children and growing families.....instruct them on HOW TO TRAIN those unruly kids.

For those who admit that their bills are not being paid......use them as a teaching of UNBELIEF.

What could go wrong?

For those who want to grow up and pursue more education......disdain SECULAR education.

What could go wrong?

One caveat: secular education was encouraged for some, for instance many at East Carolina Univ. who lived in The Way Home trying to immitate the Corps program. BUT the purpose of getting it was only to use it for the benefit of TWI, i.e. an accounting degree or business degree AND ALSO that unbelievers would have more respect for us, given we had a college education. The idea was the education would give us a chance to witness to educated people like business leaders and politicians who would not consider us just ignorant kids obsessed with the Bible, but intellligent educated folks. Ha!

Then, there were those who were encouraged to get degrees in biblical languages to "help in biblical research." Ha again.

Plenty went wrong with both...

Edited by penworks

One caveat: secular education was encouraged for some, for instance many at East Carolina Univ. who lived in The Way Home trying to immitate the Corps program. BUT the purpose of getting it was only to use it for the benefit of TWI, i.e. an accounting degree or business degree AND ALSO that unbelievers would have more respect for us, given we had a college education. The idea was the education would give us a chance to witness to educated people like business leaders and politicians who would not consider us just ignorant kids obsessed with the Bible, but intellligent educated folks. Ha!

Then, there were those who were encouraged to get degrees in biblical languages to "help in biblical research." Ha again.

Plenty went wrong with both...

penworks.......so true.

As long as your education, profession, business, celebrity status HELPS twi......then, fine.

VPW and Howard would gush all over the way builder guys during those building years of the OSC, the Corps Chalet,

the Auditorium, Founders' Hall, etc. The architects, the project managers, the electricians, the carpenters,

the cabinet makers, the plumbers......."they're the BEST!" Hey, if they miss meetings or teachings AND ARE OUT

THERE WORKING HARD FOR TWI....screw the rules/regs and corps policies.

There were plenty of 7th corps guys who missed WHOLE BLOCKS OF INREZ TRAINING by going to Tinnie, NM during that

building time of LEAD. Other guys split out to Grand Junction, Colorado to help with that Grand Home Log company

at the onset of the corps chalet.

Same deal with education. Why, when Dan McCon@ughy (sp?) was getting his doctorate, it's going to HELP twi do better

research. Yes, the caveat is WHO BENEFITS ??!!

How many times did we hear/see some iteration of this from VP: "I bleed my heart out for you keedz, 18 hours, 20 hours a day! *belch* Day after day, week after week, month after month, I pour my heart out, day and night! * phlegmatic cough* * phlegmatic cough *. And you still won't believe the greatness of it! * belch * ".

Musta been hard work, doing all that yelling after eating, drinking, and smoking so much. Give the man his dues due. You're the best.

lol operabuff!

when i called the bleeder of our day and time about geer destroying wonderful people's hearts and minds (seriously about the minds) across the pond, his response was, "how long do i have to suck your corps asses"?

what could go wrong there? i don't know. it scares me to think about such a thing.

Starting a leadership program to issue a college degree. Who needs a college? Do it on the farm. Who needs trained educators? The Pike's Peak boxtop doctorate will do. Plus, we can plagiarize everything. Study? Read your Bible for 4 hours. Work? Clean up the farm. Oh, and you can stay as long as your money holds out. You know, the money you have to beg from other TWI members. Why? Because it's not accredited, so can't get normal forms of government financing. Oh, and you're paying to work on the farm, as opposed to making minimum wage even.

I mean, with such a brilliant scheme thinking this stuff through, what could go wrong?

Hey Mom,

I met these cool people and took this class. Now I'm going out WOW to move across the country for a year. Where? I don't know yet. With who? I don't know yet. I'll find all of this out at the "Rock". Will I be able to come home at all? No. Can you visit me? Very briefly.

What could go wrong?

Hey Dad,

Thanks for all the tuition payments and support here in college, but I've decided to quit and go WOW. I took this bible class and some people

are convinced that putting God first is the best thing I can do for my life right now. Where? Oh, I don't know yet. We meet in Ohio for

a big meeting and then, they send us out with others. Yeah, others going out. No, we won't be paid or anything......but we're going to

live together and spend the whole year witnessing to others.

It's going to be great. Go to a place I've never been. Live with strangers and find work. Spend the whole year running classes.

Learn to put God first in my life. And, it's going to be the greatest year of my life.

What could go wrong?

Edited by skyrider
  • Upvote 1

Hey, Mom and Dad,

Are you really sure this WOW thing is a good idea? I know you have been telling me that if I put God first then things will be perfect. You and my siblings are going into training to be ministers and I'm too old to go with you, but this WOW thing freaks me out. I don't want to lose you guys as a support system. And these people they teamed me up with are a little weird. I'm scared, but I guess I don't have much choice. Guess I'll see you next year for a while at the Rock unless one or all of us aren't kicked out for being homosexual fantasizers, or disobedient, or unproductive, or just because. I'm scared, but I'll do it. What could possibly happen?

Hey Dad,

Thanks for all the tuition payments and support here in college, but I've decided to quit and go WOW. I took this bible class and some people

are convinced that putting God first is the best thing I can do for my life right now. Where? Oh, I don't know yet. We meet in Ohio for

a big meeting and then, they send us out with others. Yeah, others going out. No, we won't be paid or anything......but we're going to

live together and spend the whole year witnessing to others.

It's going to be great. Go to a place I've never been. Live with strangers and find work. Spend the whole year running classes.

Learn to put God first in my life. And, it's going to be the greatest year of my life.

What could go wrong?

Nothing, unless you end up with the bitch from hell as your coordinator. My poor "WOW brother". I didn't like him on sight. He was heavy, a bit slow, and what I then thought of as gratingly laid back. I made his life a living hell that year just because I could. Yeah, what could possibly go wrong.

Sorry I chased you out of the house and off the field Kevin, although that was probably the nicest thing I did for you all year.