GreaseSpot Cafe

Anything REALLY Changed?

JavaJane

I had the misfortune of working today when what I can only assume was a branch outreach event came through my farmers' market. They of course stopped to witness to me and were quite shocked to find out I used to be involved in their cult. I was informed I was on staff "at the worst time" and that things "had changed"...

As my husband so eloquently put it, "Did they get rid of that old evil c**t that used to run the place?"

My response? "I have no desire to ever go back even if it DID change."

All in all a horrible experience. But it got me thinking... has anything changed? Has the old bat kicked the can yet?

I think not. She's too evil to die.

But I'm glad I got out. It brought back a lot of bad memories.

I knew as soon as the first one came up that they were only there because they wanted something from me, and not what I was selling. It was obvious they were trying to force "the Word" into the conversation. I let them know I knew who they were when I saw the Camp Gunnison jacket. I was polite, as this is my place of business, but I did tell them I had no intention of ever ever going back, and that HQ was filled with hypocrisy, lies, and legalism. That being on staff was THE WORST EXPERIENCE IN MY LIFE.

If they show up again trying to proselytize at the market they will be asked to leave. Thankfully the place had no customers today for them to witness to, only a couple vendors.

Yuck and yuck again.

BTW, they walked by my husband's place of work later that day. Guess there is a push for numbers right now.

Heh, I think I might have been tempted to string them along and ask difficult questions. How many signs, miracles, healings have they seen - today? This week? How closely do they work with churches in their area in "churches together" type of events? What sort of help is their "church" giving to disaster relief funds for those left devastated by the Philippines typhoon?

Or agreed with them, and invited them to my church, where they could enjoy these things.

And then hit 'em with the whammie that I knew them of old and how had things changed?

Did you ask them what had changed? Like a living wage with proper benefits and fair time off, for the staff? Like not being interrogated for every moment not spent in TWI activities? Like proper reporting and safeguarding procedures? Do they still rape young women?

I doubt much has changed - changed for the better, anyway. Might have changed for the worse. Changed into even more boring and repetitive stuff. Gunnison is a "family camp" now, isn't it? Hmph, is it still mandatory attendance at all age-appropriate activities?

I liked my time at Gunnison. More free than at HQ. Which is to say there were fewer eyes to constantly spy.

I had the misfortune of working today when what I can only assume was a branch outreach event came through my farmers' market. They of course stopped to witness to me and were quite shocked to find out I used to be involved in their cult. I was informed I was on staff "at the worst time" and that things "had changed"...

Those *branch outreach events* are a rallying cry to escape the boredom

of endless, monotonous snooze-fests.....er, recycled teachings.

Besides, in numbers.....they go "witnessing" to feel empowered. With very

little results, their only jaded satisfaction is cornering the unsuspecting

and/or ridiculing the responses. Their actions are emblematic of gangs,

not disciples.

Few ever do the door-to-door witnessing anymore. They are more inclined to

go to parks, outdoor markets, bookstores, open venues, etc. to find recruits.

And yes, twi's declining numbers is always searching for new blood. Running

classes is their life's blood.......while the elitist hq staffers sit at their

desks and tabulate the numbers.

Have things changed? Of course they have.

Have things changed for the better? Now THAT depends on the perspective and

perception of the beholder. From my vantage point, the wheels on the bus go

'round and 'round even though the bus is miles down the highway. But......

for those sitting ON THE BUS, they just sit there while life passes them by.

Hey JavaJane -- Specifically, which town in Ohio do you and your husband currently reside? Lima, Sidney, or New Knoxville?

I happen to live outside Nashua NH -- deemed in a national Gallup survey for about three (3) years in row as being "The Least Religious Areas of the United States" (I can only assume that if the employment and economy is better than the rest of the country, this neck of the woods ain't that dependent on God -- just my theory). But with that being said, one would assume that organizations like The Way would send out WOW Ambassadors to a "spiritually fertile area" such as Nashua NH, wouldn't you?

Since the proverbial BLEEP hit the fan in The Way soon after "Doctor's" passing in '85, I can honestly tell you that I've NEVER been witnessed by anybody inviting me to a "Twig fellowship" and/or encouraging me to take "The Class". Also, in that same span of time, I have NEVER seen a Way bumper sticker on any of the vehicles I've encountered in my daily travels. Furthermore, after surfing thru The Way's official website, I couldn't find anything in the Way Bookstore where it even still offered Way bumper stickers for sale (if The Way did totally terminate the production/sale of its traditional bumper stickers, that pretty pathetic), nor anything even remotely conducive to "outreach", i.e. who could I call or where could I go to check out a Way fellowship in the Nashua NH area???

Personally, I've been involved with an Assembly of God church for 11 yrs now in Nashua, and would contend that our church's website is a heck of a lot more "outreach friendly" than that of The Way's. The Way, just by its "official website", strikes me now as sort of a "closed membership" type of organization, like the Free Masons or something like that. It was a little bit surprising, JavaJane, to read about your personal experience about these current Way believers as some sort of, "outreach go-getters for Jesus" because I just don't see any concrete evidence of that as I did, say, back in the day.

Yes, by all accounts, The Way is what some might call a "closed corporation". You can't just buy things from their bookstore or attend a Sunday Service without some degree of vetting taking place. Wierwille was fond of saying, "You're always welcome at The Way"...Uh-huh... Try slipping into a Sunday Service sometime and see how "welcome" you are.

I will confess, after the proverbial BLEEP hit the fan following "Doctor's" passing, I did purchase a "Jesus Christ -- The Red Thread" long sleeve tee shirt from the Way Bookstore because, even if V.P. did plagiarize that and claimed it as his very own, it's still truly amazing just how Jesus is woven throughout every single book of the Bible.

I would've LOVED to have bought either a CD or cassette from TAKIT with the song, "Don't Stop Speaking God's Word" on it because I DEFINITELY think that's one the top five Christian songs EVER, of all time. Unfortunately, The Way Bookstore doesn't sell TAKIT CDs or cassettes, and I can't even find that specific song on, YouTube. Oh well.

One positive thing I noticed about the Way Bookstore on-line, it no longer sells, "Athletes of the Spirit" videos -- now that might be construed as a step in a positive direction. I don't know.

We aren't in Ohio at all anymore, we're out in the Kansas City, Missouri area. When we left in 2007, planned outreach events with branch grads were the norm about once a month. Everyone would head to some place where people were known to gather (the mall, local parks, coffee shops, farmers markets) and then try and find an "open door" to speak "the word" with people. Sometimes it was door to door. No one liked the events, but attendance was strongly encouraged.

I wish I could have been faster on my feet with comments and questions to the group I found myself dealing with, but honestly, I was just trying to hold it together. Hands started shaking for a while after I first saw the Camp Gunnison logo. Geez, just when you think you're over the experience, the flashbacks come back again.

I have decided though that if the situation presents itself again, I will have to ask some specifics about what has changed... At least when I was Way Disciple I could say to old grads, "It's different now, Craig is gone and we have a new president." Not so much now, because Rosalie ain't giving up her spot until she's dead.

I wish I could have been faster on my feet with comments and questions to the group I found myself dealing with, but honestly, I was just trying to hold it together. Hands started shaking for a while after I first saw the Camp Gunnison logo. Geez, just when you think you're over the experience, the flashbacks come back again.

I have decided though that if the situation presents itself again, I will have to ask some specifics about what has changed... At least when I was Way Disciple I could say to old grads, "It's different now, Craig is gone and we have a new president." Not so much now, because Rosalie ain't giving up her spot until she's dead.

JJ, those flashbacks can take you by surprise.

Some oh 15 years after I'd been kicked out and 5 years after I'd started to heal, I went to a carol service with my Mum at the Salvation Army. All was well until the MC said, "And now the Corps will sing..." My hair stood on end, shivers went up my spine, I froze in my seat, my eyes widened in fear... of course, not the Way Corps!! Other random odd comments or phrases caught me badly off guard too, at that time.

Practising a response in your mind will definitely prepare you for any future meeting with any Wayfers. Hey, you could ask some really good questions and share the answers with us all here at GSC. Think of yourself as an undercover reporter for the Cafe! :biglaugh:/>

Nah. It's older women, now. :biglaugh:/>

George

It was funny to note that there was nary a one under the age of 50 in that group, men or women. Eventually they will die off, seems the younger folks can use the interwebs and stuff.