GreaseSpot Cafe

Authoritarian Rule 101

skyrider

Wierwille's corps indoctrination program was run by those wielding an authoritarian sledgehammer.

Whether it was lunchtime announcements, corps night meetings, fire alarm episodes, etc.......an angry and frustrated corps coordinator would step up to the microphone and lecture the group on the FAILURES of one individual.  Perhaps, he/she didn't meet the requirement for getting out of bed at 3am when the fire alarm sounded and briskly put on his bathrobe and exit his dormitory and meet in designated area as instructed.  Maybe.....she didn't want to go to corps night because she had her monthly period and wasn't feeling well.  Or, just maybe....sweeping the circle driveway was too insane and mundane for this guy to stomach the ridiculousness of it all.

ANYWAYS......did we ALL have to hear about it?  

• Did we have to sit and listen to a 20-minute lecture on obedience, because of one person......again?
  • Where in the Scriptures does it say that we are to indulge in everyone else's dirty laundry?
  • Isn't this *confrontation* supposed to be done by one or two witnesses?
  • Why does this seem like ruling with a heavy hand?
  • Is this simply a bullying tactic?

The corps program WAS indoctrination.  Seems like some corps grads have gone to their graves *obeying* the policies of "the man of Gawd."  Maybe that stuff works on the youth camps......but it doesn't (shouldn't) work with thinking, responsible adults.

And.....then there were those CHILDREN'S SONGS.

• Ugh.
  • Another deceptive, authoritarian tactic of control.
  • Stand up.  Sit down.  Clap your hands.  Head, shoulders, knees and toes.
  • I've got peace like a river.....with hand motions.
  • And, please let's all listen, remember and obey.

So, those of you 65-75 year olds.......did twi let you grow up into an adult?  :biglaugh:

Where do you go to get your last 45 years back?  If you're thankful and you know it.....clap your hands. :biglaugh:

Now that you are still renting and twi wants you to take their NEW foundational class.....was it worth it? :biglaugh:

Not to mention that everyone had to sit on the floor in the BRC "at the feet of the MoG."  Plenty of chairs available, but not allowed to use those.  Many people acquired backrests to make the floor-sitting a little more comfortable.

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

The corps program WAS indoctrination.  Seems like some corps grads have gone to their graves *obeying* the policies of "the man of Gawd."  Maybe that stuff works on the youth camps......but it doesn't (shouldn't) work with thinking, responsible adults.

word!

Sounds like an underlying organizational fundamental principle of ruling by fear reading through that.

And of course experientially that IS what it was.  

Funny how a habitual practice excoriating your best people leads to 95% of those same people rejecting your organization over time.

• Upvote 1

Compliance through peer pressure.

"Oh, now we ALL have to run just because YOU __________ "...(fill in the blank)

Pretty successful tactic... for Army basic training. What place does it have in Christian leadership training?

18 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Sounds like an underlying organizational fundamental principle of ruling by fear reading through that.

And of course experientially that IS what it was.  

Funny how a habitual practice excoriating your best people leads to 95% of those same people rejecting your organization over time.

Yes.....and the habitual practice of *doing as your leader does* LEADS to the next mog who steps up to the plate to FOLLOW THE SAME PLAYBOOK AND EXCORIATE THE MAJORITY.  Martindale was two-fold the child of evil (that wierwille groomed).  Twi has bad policy, because twi was/is a cult.

But really.....imo, wierwille was a malignant narcissist.  He had a mix of antisocial, paranoid and sadistic personality disorder traits and used projection as a defensive mechanism.  He stole Leonard's class, but didn't believe its contents.  He didn't wholly believe in the God-given nine manifestations.....thus, he faked his speaking in tongues in ridiculous repetitiveness!!  The ministry that wierwille "built".....was a sandcastle.  LOL

The indoctrination (ideology) runs SO DEEP......that many corps grads have never been able to connect the dots of how they were deceived.

Nor did some care to ever learn (the deception).  They were comfortable in their submissive state.

Institutionalization does that.......to people.  Sigh. 

Authoritarian Rule 101:  Rigid Conformity

The corps indoctrination process had NOTHING to do with the classes.  The indoctrination was done thru its methods....

• Authority leader is always right.
  • Even if he is wrong.....you are to obey.
  • God (cough, cough) will honor your obedience.
  • Groupthink (renewed mind) is spiritual unity.....in the cult.
  • Stewardship of things is more highly prized than ownership ( that's right ).
  • Ownership is burdensome.  Get rid of stuff.  Live at peace in the commune.
  • Give your life, resources, skills, overtime hours, weekends.....to twi.
  • Independent thinking, finances, friends, family ties.....is a no-no.
  • Trust their research.  Wierwille will teach you....It Is Written.
  • Twi will be there for you as you grow old.  Trust them.

Behind the scenes, there have always been the purges.  Whether it was a girl speaking out about sexual predation, then poof.....she was bum's rushed to Dayton and put on a bus.  What about asking pesky questions about some of wierwille's research?  Not allowed.  Purged, sent packing.  What if you don't feel the need to take the NEW foundational class?  Then.....you are purged from the rolls of being a grad of the foundational class.  It's a closed society and they make the rules.  Play by their rules.....or leave.

Notice how twi generates another foundational class every 10 years.  :biglaugh:

Like a vacuum cleaning company.....they are out to suck you dry.  :anim-smile:

On 5/25/2022 at 5:38 PM, skyrider said:

And.....then there were those CHILDREN'S SONGS.

• Ugh.
  • Another deceptive, authoritarian tactic of control.
  • Stand up.  Sit down.  Clap your hands.  Head, shoulders, knees and toes.
  • I've got peace like a river.....with hand motions.
  • And, please let's all listen, remember and obey.

maybe a little :offtopic:

This topic – and particularly this section got me as a parent to reflect on how much I relinquished to The Way International. Parents are the first authority figure in a child’s life and set the stage and draft a partial script for the kid’s journey. Loving parents usually have good intentions and high hopes that their kids will grow up to be able to fend for themselves. Ultimately that means independence from parental authority. 

It’s fascinating to observe how cults can insinuate their authority into one’s life. Harmful and manipulative cults subtly worm their way into rewriting your personal “script”. They become the new authority figure. 

When I joined TWI in 1974, I had that counterculture-I’m-doing-my-own-thing attitude – I was single and didn’t have kids. During this “romance” phase of my TWI-involvement – at first I acquiesced to the force of their influence, figuring they had the bead on truth so I might as well get into it. Eventually I was wholeheartedly on board. By the time I got married and had kids, self-determination was subjugated to the preferences and priories of TWI. In a weird-hive-mind process, it was almost like TWI by proxy became the authority figure for my family. That’s why I said earlier as a parent I was reflecting on how much I relinquished to The Way International. 

But - If you are a parent in TWI – don’t freak out! You can change and inspire your kids to grow up strong and independent. All you gotta do is plan your exit from TWI  :biglaugh: *  - and check out these excerpts from a  Psychology Today article:  

•    It's tempting for parents to indoctrinate rather than to educate.
•    That's especially likely around religion, politics, and the "right" balance of work, play, and family.
•    Parents can encourage their children to become more thoughtful by exposing them to multiple perspectives, not just their own.

"Do not indoctrinate your children. Teach them how to think for themselves, how to evaluate evidence, and how to disagree with you." Richard Dawkins

Fairly present differing views. In the aforementioned three areas as well as others, make the best-case, not a straw-man case, for opposing views. Ask your child which is most persuasive and why. When s/he disagrees with your position, it’s tempting to jump in and defend it. But, situation by situation, ask yourself whether that is wise or to remain silent, acknowledge the legitimacy of their perspective, or ask a question that might lead to more nuanced thinking.

Expose your child to diversity of viewpoint. For example, with older children, read the front page or op-eds in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal. Ask your child what differences s/he notices and what s/he thinks about them?

Acknowledge your doubts. Here's an example: “Some days, I feel like redistribution is the answer. How can a humane society allow a huge gap between the haves and have-nots? On other days, I believe in meritocracy, that the world, net, most improves when we allocate resources to people with greater potential to improve the lives of humankind. Dear child, I’m wishy-washy about such issues. What do you think?”

end of excerpts - From: Psychology Today – Beware the Temptation to Indoctrinate Your Children

~ ~ ~ ~ 

*Note I was trying to be funny about how simple it is to leave a harmful and controlling cult. It is not! But if you value freedom and truly desire for your kids to have the best chances for success and fulfillment (whatever that may mean) you might want to really think about the ideas in the Psychology Today article.

On 5/27/2022 at 6:26 AM, T-Bone said:

When I joined TWI in 1974, I had that counterculture-I’m-doing-my-own-thing attitude – I was single and didn’t have kids. During this “romance” phase of my TWI-involvement – at first I acquiesced to the force of their influence, figuring they had the bead on truth so I might as well get into it. Eventually I was wholeheartedly on board. By the time I got married and had kids, self-determination was subjugated to the preferences and priories of TWI. In a weird-hive-mind process, it was almost like TWI by proxy became the authority figure for my family. That’s why I said earlier as a parent I was reflecting on how much I relinquished to The Way International. 

T-bone thx for the linked article and excepts - great stuff!

When I think of my story and my wife and many I know they have parallels to this above paragraph.  The Way sold me the idea of a more dedicated Christian, more knowledgeable of scripture, more effective in my walk.  Snake oil vial #1 they are not any of those  they twist scripture as we accurately document on this site to appear so and honestly many pastors are lazy in the Christian community do not protect their flock from this kind of infiltration.

So first they set themselves up as my spiritual trusted authority.

Next they exerted control over all areas of my life I allowed them access, which was pretty much everywhere from finances to dating to work to time spent.  They broke down natural boundaries in topics and areas that need to remain individual decisions and logic.  So I accepted them as authority in so many other categories of life they did not belong in.

Next because I joined Way Corps I gave them my authority over many more categories of life and development including education, residence, and my career.  In each of those categories specifically they very effectively demonstrated they could care less about me as a person beyond how I could further their selfish self promoting ends.

During this process instead of building the family unit, it eroded the same.  I was disconnected from my earthly family and built a false one that had no boundaries from whatever Way leader was in charge at the time, to fulfill their personal whims.  It wasn’t until my exit that I had the time for my family once off the Way hamster wheel of WOW or whatever replacement control phrase they have circulating now.  

The recovery process for me post Way has involved taking back control over each area of my life that I had relinquished control to the Way.  It has been a slow arduous process but one I feel is true and honest before God and I have seen benefits in my Christian walk.  I am no longer exhibiting characteristics of scribes and Pharisees such as I see so evident in my Christian brethren who remain.  

I am happier being free but it is much more work.  The work intended by God.

• Upvote 2

"The recovery process for me post Way has involved taking back control over each area of my life that I had relinquished control to the Way.  It has been a slow arduous process ..."

It is that! From what I've seen and read from former Wayfers, few do this. Please, take time out to reflect, study, rethink. Life is short. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2