GreaseSpot Cafe

The Absent Christ?

OldSkool

On 10/5/2022 at 7:35 AM, modcat5 said:

This thread was doctrinal from post 1.

Like, not even close. 

But...

There IS a certain intersection between doctrinal and About the Way which has to do with how TWI's unique interpretations may have enabled the conduct this website was created to expose. To have THAT conversation, you need to accept the premise of the Original Post [that the Absent Christ is a false doctrine].

Challenge the OP, and you're in doctrinal. Accept the OP, and you're About the Way. Debate a challenge to the OP, and you're back in doctrinal.

Let's call the whole thing off!

Then on top of all that, this became a Mike thread. Whole new kettle of fish head soup. Yum.

Mike threads are similarly problematic: Are Wierwille's writings God-breathed? Doctrinal. Did Wierwille ever make such a claim? Delusional. Sorry, I meant to say About the Way...

...P.S. Moving it to matters of faith in recognition that it's more of a Mike thread now. The OP should have been exploring the Bible. Apologies for the micromanagement.

3 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Your delusions run deeper than I thought.

56 minutes ago, Mike said:

If my words were so delusional as you describe, then this thread would still be in About the Way for more people to see.  LoL 

There is NO logic or rational thinking/analysis in that claim, at all.

55 minutes ago, Mike said:

If my words were as delusional as you describe, then y'all would not put hours into refuting them, and then when that fails, more hours into documenting my delusions from scattered past references.  LoL

Well now. While Mike's claim here is also NOT at all rational or logical, it DOES show that he continues to push people's buttons... or at least try to do so.

3 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Now, if Mike runs true to form, Mike's "response" will be a dodge, a distraction, and a wall of text that doesn't address the questions at all, then later he'll pretend he answered, and send people for some buried post in the middle of someone else's thread.

WW "gets" Mike... at least to some degree.

But why ANY of you continue to let him toss you around with every wind of psychological manipulation escapes me.

20 fking years. NOBODY ever gets anything in reply/response from him other than crap that fits neatly into the same damn box he's kept you in for TWO decades.

for those who flatter themselves with    grandiose delusions   and blow smoke up their own personal hotspot, aka  Uranus - aka the microcosm of a much larger gasbag giant – aka where the sun doesn’t shine - aka where some like to swim upstream in the mud river – aka totally ignoring the Exit Only signage… …be it known - as if I care who does – it takes much less time to debunk nonsense and idiocy than it does to identify and expose wierwille’s bull$hit to TWI-followers who still have their wits about them and are now checking out Grease Spot because they have some doubts and questions about wierwille, 1967 PFAL,   PFAL Today, and  The Way International

11 minutes ago, Rocky said:

But why ANY of you continue to let him toss you around with every wind of psychological manipulation escapes me.

20 fking years. NOBODY ever gets anything in reply/response from him other than crap that fits neatly into the same damn box he's kept you in for TWO decades.

Morbid curiosity mostly.

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

There is NO logic or rational thinking/analysis in that claim, at all.

Well now. While Mike's claim here is also NOT at all rational or logical, it DOES show that he continues to push people's buttons... or at least try to do so.

WW "gets" Mike... at least to some degree.

With all due respect, Rocky  -   and I may be way off base in saying this – but I think you might be presumptuous in suggesting Mike   is  pushing anyone's buttons.

I understand the phrase “pushing one’s buttons” means to do or say something just to make someone angry or upset. Now, you did clarify / qualify that with your follow-up words by saying at  least  he’s    attempting to. ...I’m okay with that – he’s attempting to make some angry and upset. I agree, he certainly does try very hard to do that. But that doesn’t mean he has much success.

…concerning your other comments – to me, there still seems be an arrogant confidence in your saying WordWolf "gets" Mike... at least to some degree… I wonder why WordWolf was singled out as “getting” Mike to some degree.

In my opinion, the rest of your hubristic comments are in bad form too: But why ANY of you continue to let him toss you around with every wind of psychological manipulation escapes me20 fking years. NOBODY ever gets anything in reply/response from him other than crap that fits neatly into the same damn box he's kept you in for TWO decades.

good thing I’m thick skinned – otherwise some of those other harsh words and insults would bother me…

…which by the way I am curious as to  how  one determines that Mike has psychologically manipulated any of us. Were there any polls conducted to quantify the number of Grease Spotters who were controlled by Mike? What qualifies as being manipulated?

I was not aware of a “damn box” that Mike has kept any Grease Spotters in for two decades. Is that a mental construct like wierwille’s lockbox – except that the Grease Spotters who are in Mike’s lockbox are unaware that  they   are in it?

I could be mistaken but it seems to me these are some harsh words coming from someone who has let Mike   get to them. 

Stating your intentions might help. Reiterating what you meant to say might help too.

Hey, just thought I ‘d get this off my chest…if I’m way off base then just ignore this post.

Peace out 

T-Bone

Edited by T-Bone
typos

I try to stay on Mike's good side because I figure, if and when he  gets his class together (I'm believing for a film class.), he might let me be in charge of refreshments. I can stretch coffee with the best of them and make those old foam cups look almost new.  I have a secret way of making lipstick stains barely noticeable.

Or, I could string some chairs, unless I've forgotten how to do it. I probably wasn't paying close enough attention to the fine details of the process like I should have the first time around. There's a lot of nuance that gets lost on us old grads as time catches up with us. That's why we have to come back to the guiding oversight of those who have mastered the process.

• Upvote 1

I repeat:  my mission here is to focus on the good we got, what was forgotten, and what was not really absorbed well long ago.

Because I am CORRECT about these items, and you folks have twisted your minds into a totally NEGATIVE perspective of our PFAL past, my corrections do all kinds of things:  push buttons, sound delusional, undermine what others try to build here, great irk, etc.

It is the negative focus and the lack of understanding of what we were taught that is the problem here.  Truth just doesn't mix well in many un-renewed minds here.  It can produce cognitive dissonances.  I see fight or flight reactions to me all the time here from the cognitive dissonances my posting can stimulate. In the flight mode I see all the mockery. 

I do not aim to produce these reactions, and every now and then I think it is good for me to back off a bit when they get feverish.

My goal is to remind anyone here that what we were taught was GOOD, and like parable of the sower and the seed there are several modes of rejection of what I post.

I constantly see forgetting of details in the class and collaterals, or evidence that portions were never absorbed. I post to this effect and,  because I am correct, hardly anyone can handle it.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

what was not really absorbed well long ago

Boy, howdy. I'll tell you what really WAS absorbed, though... those lipstick stains. There's a secret way to get rid of them that most people don't know because they either weren't paying attention or didn't study their instructor's manual the way they should have. It's all in there. You just have to read between the lines. That manual is just packed with hidden gems, waiting for the meek to unearth them.

2 minutes ago, waysider said:

Boy, howdy. I'll tell you what really WAS absorbed, though... those lipstick stains. There's a secret way to get rid of them that most people don't know because they either weren't paying attention or didn't study their instructor's manual the way they should have. It's all in there. You just have to read between the lines. That manual is just packed with hidden gems, waiting for the meek to unearth them.

:jump::jump:

Mike: "If my words were so delusional as you describe, then this thread would still be in About the Way for more people to see.  LoL  "

Your doctrine is as delusional as I describe. Your posts are evasive so they're less obvious, generally in an attempt to get some customers to go along. (Why else de-emphasize pfal when first talking to people when you believe pfal is all that, and why else de-elphasize vpw despite you thinking he was OVERgifted and "where he walked, the earth shook"?  Letting them know you're pushing your own flavor of cult, of gnosticism, of occulted knowledge, right up front would get them to walk away fast.)  

As to what criteria the staff uses for "About the Way", it isn't "popular vote." Since your content rarely actually addresses twi/pfal/vpw content, it's not what they consider for "about the way" since it's about "Mikean pfal" rather than the way or any portion thereof.

Mike:"If my words were as delusional as you describe, then y'all would not put hours into refuting them, and then when that fails, more hours into documenting my delusions from scattered past references.  LoL "

WordWolf:  Whenever we don't bother refuting you, you celebrate and announce we could not refute you.  As you already know, leaving something unaddressed can suggest agreement.   We're refuting you because you're wrong and should be refuted.

As for your delusions being documented from scattered past references, well, that's due to the standard Mikean practice-  no matter how many times you're asked to speak clearly, don't speak clearly. No matter how many times you're asked to post one thread with your basic doctrine, don't put it in sight. No matter what you're saying, don't put it all in one thread- spread it out hidden among pages of other people's threads to make it hard to document what you've said.

Mike: "I repeat:  my mission here is to focus on the good we got, what was forgotten, and what was not really absorbed well long ago."

No, your self-appointed "mission" is to convince people that pfal in written form is some sort of improved Bible that replaced the old one.  You've said before that what we have otherwise is "unreliable fragments" and "tattered remnants", and said that's why God Almighty waited until the middle of the 20th century, and selected the one man who could be given the new Bible- victor paul wierwille.  That man was a physical, mental and spiritual giant, and God Almighty gave him a promise in 1942.  His writings thus became a new Bible- but only Mike has the keys to unlocking them, so we have to come to him to understand them.

What's the reality of the Bible?  It's a lot more reliable than you've ever said, and new work continues to be done to improve the reliability results.  What's the reality of pfal replacing it?  The Orange Book says specifically that it isn't meant to REPLACE Genesis to Revelation, but that it's a book of KEYS.   So, wrong on both, rather obviously. 

What's the reality on vpw?  As we've documented, he was a lackluster student who needed help to graduate from a NORMAL high school, and whose athletic accomplishments ended at high school graduation.  His demonstrated skills were in plagiarism, and in delivering a sermon, provided someone else wrote the sermon.   

What's the reality on the 1942 promise?  It's been disproved, over and over. Continuing to believe it doesn't change how completely fraudulent it was. 

Having missed so completely on all of that, what's the scoop on Mike being the one man you should follow and make your teacher, to find the hidden wisdom of God Almighty? 

3 hours ago, T-Bone said:

or those who flatter themselves with    grandiose delusions   and blow smoke up their own personal hotspot, aka  Uranus - aka the microcosm of a much larger gasbag giant – aka where the sun doesn’t shine - aka where some like to swim upstream in the mud river – aka totally ignoring the Exit Only signage… …be it known - as if I care who does – it takes much less time to debunk nonsense and idiocy than it does to identify and expose wierwille’s bull$hit to TWI-followers who still have their wits about them and are now checking out Grease Spot because they have some doubts and questions about wierwille, 1967 PFAL,   PFAL Today, and  The Way International

In Mike's case, the same $pit, (different but not really different) day for 20 years.  Have you made any progress?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I repeat:  my mission here is to focus on the good we got, what was forgotten, and what was not really absorbed well long ago.

Because I am CORRECT about these items, and you folks have twisted your minds into a totally NEGATIVE perspective of our PFAL past, my corrections do all kinds of things:  push buttons, sound delusional, undermine what others try to build here, great irk, etc.

37 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

No, your self-appointed "mission" is to convince people that pfal in written form is some sort of improved Bible that replaced the old one

WW said that about Mike.

Has Mike shown ANY indication in 20 effing years that he has given your perspective ANY serious consideration, T-Bone?

OR, is what he said on this thread the same position he has taken, and overtly stating his dismissiveness of EVERY thing that anyone who disagrees with him... just today?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

It is the negative focus and the lack of understanding of what we were taught that is the problem here.  Truth just doesn't mix well in many un-renewed minds here.  It can produce cognitive dissonances.  I see fight or flight reactions to me all the time here from the cognitive dissonances my posting can stimulate. In the flight mode I see all the mockery. 

Does that rhetoric/narrative reflect ANYthing different from the tone and gist he has consistently maintained for TWENTY years?

Have you detected ANY posts from anyone on GSC indicating that discussions with Mike have moved them in any direction, toward or away from twi?

Just asking. 

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

Did it ever occur to you that he might really be doing nothing more than mocking you?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/10/07/onion-amicus-brief-supreme-court-satire-essential/

Not to quibble over nuances – but the Oct 7th 2022 article you referenced did say One great thing about being alive right now is that it is very easy to tell parody from reality, which is why it might have escaped your notice that the actual satirical newspaper the Onion honestly did file a real amicus brief before the Supreme Court — in defense of a man who got arrested for parody  ( here is the link to that Oct 4th 2022 article   - here   )

…The Onion, self-styled in the brief as the “single most powerful and influential organization in human history” with a “daily readership of 4.3 trillion,” agrees. As someone else whose job hinges on the ability to write parody without being detained by the state, I also wanted to chime in…

,,,As is customary in arguments of this kind, I am now going to quote an ancient writer. I have chosen Horace, the ancient Roman satirist: “When you live in a time like this, it’s impossible not to write satire.” The world is so bizarre that you wind up writing satire whether you want to or not. One man’s ominously heightened, on-the-nose parody is another man’s straightforward accounting of the news. When the world is continually absurd without being funny, you want to turn to a form that tries to allow other people to recognize the absurdity with you…

…Democracy, like parody, presumes that people are capable of noticing when someone is trying to dupe them…

End of excerpts

~ ~ ~ ~

Unlike the people mentioned in the Washington Post articles, Mike’s seems oblivious to the absurdity of his own arguments.

Make no mistake – on the timeline of human evolution some folks may have failed to set the current time on their Beta Tape Player…symptom is indicated by the blinking 12:00 on the front display ...there’s a suspended animation issue that develops in   the  flux capacitor    I mean the PFAL-sucks capacitor which can trap one indefinitely - with or without exceptions and distinctions in medieval times (from the 5th to the 15th century - - NOT the family dinner theater  )…like being held in abeyance due to some galactic-class idiom of permission.    

betamax-4.jpg

What I think is so pathetic about   Mike’s shtick   is that he tries to imitate the logical discourse of others and it appears he thinks he’s fooling everyone…in the process - rather than ridiculing others – he becomes the subject of ridicule…a familiar proverb comes to mind: It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.

The mention of fools and mockery reminds me of a couple of Biblical Proverbs:  

Doing wrong is fun for a fool but living wisely brings pleasure to the sensible.   Proverbs 10:23   NLT

Fools mock at making amends for sin, but goodwill is found among the upright.  Proverbs 14: 9 NIV

Edited by T-Bone
Damn Damn Damn...typos in the spacetime continuum !

18 minutes ago, Rocky said:

In Mike's case, the same $pit, (different but not really different) day for 20 years.  Have you made any progress?

Have I made any progress in what?

7 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Have you detected ANY posts from anyone on GSC indicating that discussions with Mike have moved them in any direction, toward or away from twi?

Just asking. 

Please clarify who you are asking.

3 hours ago, T-Bone said:

…be it known - as if I care who does – it takes much less time to debunk nonsense and idiocy than it does to identify and expose wierwille’s bull$hit to TWI-followers who still have their wits about them and are now checking out Grease Spot because they have some doubts and questions about wierwille, 1967 PFAL,   PFAL Today, and  The Way International

Okay. Your intentions are noble. Yet, speaking of data, do you have any data to show the approach taken by those who engage with Mike's vain babblings have changed their minds because of those discussions?

I get that you are likely not impressed with the perspective I present now. That's okay.

But, if you really want to change minds of twi refugees, you might want to explore the concept of Deep Canvassing.

Deep Canvassing is having honest conversations with neighbors you didn't even think you could agree with, finding the values you both share, giving them the space to process their biases, and connecting the issues they face in their own life, to voting for progress.

Deep Canvassing has a real impact on people's biases by bringing in compassion and empathy- to the point where they're even immune to inflammatory political arguments on the news and in other media.

Deep Canvassing conversations are much longer than traditional canvassing- 30-60 minutes- and are all about finding what’s personal to the person at the door, rather than selling them on ideas or a candidate, and building a relationship- neighbor to neighbor.

Can you reflect back on interactions with Mike and honestly think they would be considered Deep Canvassing types of conversations?

I appreciate that you read extensively on psychology issues.

This book might interest you. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57933312-how-minds-change57933312.jpg

24 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Has Mike shown ANY indication in 20 effing years that he has given your perspective ANY serious consideration, T-Bone?

Not that I’m aware of…but I do like to give people the benefit of a doubt - especially when He has expressed on threads that he is doing so...I usually don't like to write off people...why do you ask?

25 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Not to quibble...

25 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

What I think is so pathetic about   Mike’s shtick   is that he tries to imitate the logical discourse of others and it appears he thinks he’s fooling everyone…in the process - rather than ridiculing others – he becomes the subject of ridicule…a familiar proverb comes to mind: It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.

Okay, you're not quibbling.

To answer your questions. I was asking any/all readers those questions.

There's an old saying, "if the foo poops, wear it." or something like that...

Oh, correction, if the shoe fits...

If nobody finds the questions relevant, so be it.

However, declaring Mike's schtick pathetic hasn't made any progress, either, right?

I'll grant that I have been dismissive of Mike's antics and his claims and his reverence for PFLAP and Wierwille.

But my objective wasn't to get him to like me or listen to my perspective either. Was it yours?

I figured that 20 years of doing the same thing and expecting any different outcome wasn't worth my time.

But I share perspective and values with the rest of the people on this thread.

Have I taken an approach that everyone will consider? Probably not.

But with you, T-Bone, I share a curiosity about matters of the mind and human behavior/conduct. So, I thought it possible you might be interested in Deep Canvassing and McRaney's book.

One thing necessary to get people to consider changing their minds, according to what I've read recently, is empathy.

I haven't demonstrated empathy toward Mike. So I don't expect him to care in the least about what I have to say to or about him.

Edited by Rocky

28 minutes ago, Rocky said:

OR, is what he said on this thread the same position he has taken, and overtly stating his dismissiveness of EVERY thing that anyone who disagrees with him... just today?

I'm sorry - but can you restate the question - I don't know what you're looking for.