GreaseSpot Cafe

The Absent Christ?

OldSkool

7 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Man that is so 33 CE…you have been gone awhile

Don't you really mean to write 33 anno Domini, 33 A.D. ?

Late Edit:

I had written:

"
First, though, please give me that timing with some more detail.
You [Mark S.] wrote: '...Saul was blinded before he tried to have more followers of Jesus Christ murdered.'"

"That's the part I always saw as the devil being right there, on the Road to Damascus prepping Saul for his plan when he got there, and BOOM! The devil's plan was interrupted, and he was aware of what was happening! Saul was his main man, you know.  This was his high priority in the spiritual war. Seeing and hearing a conversation like the others there, he freaks and tries to kill Saul.  Anything but allow Saul talk to the Savior."

Edited by Mike

1 hour ago, oldiesman said:

I noticed too that in Hebrews 11 Christ is referred to as being 'invisible'.

Ah ha, we found another synonym for 'absent'.   :biglaugh:

Could this be the invisible Christ seated at the right hand of God?

the-invisible-man-2020-the-unseen-movie-

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

Ever notice how much wierwille was fascinated with devil spirits…perhaps an unhealthy fascination…

…and wierwille always seemed to talk up how much power and influence the devil has - almost as if he has way more power and influence than God 

must be something wrong with his scale of values. :spy:

No, I think it is where the devil offered Jesus all the kingdoms of the world. 

In THIS world the devil has a lot more power than churchianity lets on.  We were born behind enemy lines, and God has to wait for believing to "invite" Him into the devil's turf. There's more to this, but knowing the the devil is the god of this world is a big key to the scriptures.

Temporarily, in Job, it looks like the devil has  more power than God, but God gets around that. You can't beat foreknowledge.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

Don't you really mean to write 33 anno Domini, 33 A.D. ?

No sir, I was using a secular suffix…here’s a brief explanation I found online:

33 CE AD is actually a combination of two different schools of thought in dating time since the birth of Jesus Christ.

CE means Common Era AD means Anno Domini, which is opposite of all time before Christ, in BC, meaning "before Christ." 33 is the somewhat controversial year of Christ's death, having been put to death at age 33. This gets a bit murky since there are some of the belief that Christ was born 3 BC -which even sounds odder when you think, Christ was born before Christ? The difference between CE and AD sounds like a religious one, and you wind up unearthing a lot of controversy over how the westernized world should count time, by Christ's birth, and the midievel latin Anno Domini meaning "year of our lord," or by a more secular term like Common Era -CE. this gets even more whacky when the Chinese calendar which may be some three and a half millenia older than ours, the gregorian calendar, and the Jewish calendar which is some 3700 years older.

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

But it doesn’t say that

Paul said the light was shining on him and those with him but there’s Nothing to indicate the others dared to look into the blinding light like Paul did

perhaps the others looked away or shielded their eyes

Yes, I agree.
I thought they could not understand the language of the voice, but Paul did. He was being addressed: "Paul, Paul, why...."  so naturally he'd turn and try to see who was calling him.

1 minute ago, T-Bone said:

33 CE AD is actually a combination of two different schools of thought in dating time since the birth of Jesus Christ.

CE means Common Era AD means Anno Domini, which is opposite of all time before Christ, in BC, meaning "before Christ." 33 is the somewhat controversial year of Christ's death, having been put to death at age 33. This gets a bit murky since there are some of the belief that Christ was born 3 BC -which even sounds odder when you think, Christ was born before Christ? The difference between CE and AD sounds like a religious one, and you wind up unearthing a lot of controversy over how the westernized world should count time, by Christ's birth, and the midievel latin Anno Domini meaning "year of our lord," or by a more secular term like Common Era -CE. this gets even more whacky when the Chinese calendar which may be some three and a half millenia older than ours, the gregorian calendar, and the Jewish calendar which is some 3700 years older.

LoL

When on campus, like in the cafeteria, I have a few times tested the crowd in line for coffee with saying "Anno Domini"  loud enough to be heard in a sentence.

Eph. 1:3 God has ALREADY BLESSED us with ALL spiritual blessings in Christ Jesus

who could ask for anything more?

maybe a certain cult-leader would who liked to push his more than abundant life materialistic  beeswax :wink2:

Yeah, I was thinking similarly when we sin that he's already been to court once to advocate that we are not guilty, and he paid the fine.  Next time we're out of fellowship, God remembers that first action of our defense lawyer.

Ditto for blessings, as you noted, which are also a done deal.

So what's the big deal about him being absent for a while?
He can still see what is goinng on here from his right hand seat.
At least Stephen thought so.

Oh yeah - that reminds me - I noticed on the official idiom of permission thread that YOU kept asking about - you never said much after I shared the significance of ancient ideas and concepts from the cultural background study Bible.

It seems like you bring stuff up for your own amusement to see how much of a distraction you can cause:evilshades:

No, I am not nearly as thorough.  I missed that.  Can you link me. I was in the middle of reading that thread and got distracted by other threads happening.

1 hour ago, oldiesman said:

That's the paradox... why God and Jesus protects and saves in some cases, heals in some cases, and in other cases, does not?       I think there's so much we don't know but I believe some day we will!   I think some of the questions may be answered in Hebrews 11 -- Douay-Rheims Bible, Hebrews Chapter 11 (drbo.org)

I noticed too that in Hebrews 11 Christ is referred to as being 'invisible'.

Ah ha, we found another synonym for 'absent'.   :biglaugh:

That invisible rhymes with hidden!   Sort of... in the original languages....

"That's the paradox... why God and Jesus protects and saves in some cases, heals in some cases, and in other cases, does not? "

Yes, I noticed that often. It's that pesky little law of believing that gets in the way.

51 minutes ago, Mike said:

No, I think it is where the devil offered Jesus all the kingdoms of the world. 

In THIS world the devil has a lot more power than churchianity lets on.  We were born behind enemy lines, and God has to wait for believing to "invite" Him into the devil's turf. There's more to this, but knowing the the devil is the god of this world is a big key to the scriptures.

Temporarily, in Job, it looks like the devil has  more power than God, but God gets around that. You can't beat foreknowledge.

The accounts of Jesus’ temptation are irrelevant to wierwille’s obsession with devil spirits!

Please define “churchianity”.

I think wierwille let the devil rule his life. His seared conscience blinded by a self-righteous dance with the devil…read  John 16   and   Romans 8   then tell me who has overcome the world? Was wierwille a double agent? One could easily make the case that he pretended to act as a defender of the faith while in fact his ideology and bad behavior seems to indicate he acted on behalf of the enemy of our faith. :evildenk:

Why does God have to wait for believing to "invite" Him into the devil's turf? Chapter and verse please.

Once again, I have to remind the folks at home enjoying this lovely program – that   YOU    - Mike  did not comment on the idiom of permission thread (that you kept asking about elsewhere) – YOU did not comment on anything I shared from the cultural background study Bible concerning the “divine council” narrative in the book of Job…is it just my imagination or do you have a habit of talking about stuff you know nothing about?

Edited by T-Bone
typosolero

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

So what's the big deal about him being absent for a while?
He can still see what is goinng on here from his right hand seat.
At least Stephen thought so.

who said he's absent?

transcendence  AND  immanence   - look into it

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

He's invisible, hidden, absent ONLY to us in the physical world.

I'm sure God can see him, next to him, in the spiritual world.

You mean that’s not him pranking us by wrapping himself back up in his grave clothes?

Seriously…Transcendence AND immanence …check it out

48 minutes ago, Mike said:

"That's the part I always saw as the devil being right there, on the Road to Damascus prepping Saul for his plan when he got there, and BOOM! The devil's plan was interrupted, and he was aware of what was happening! Saul was his main man, you know.  This was his high priority in the spiritual war. Seeing and hearing a conversation like the others there, he freaks and tries to kill Saul.  Anything but allow Saul talk to the Savior."

You know, wierwille had a real flair for the dramatic in his obsession with the devil. It was obvious in the way he’d oversell his demonology whenever he gave a “spiritually insightful” narrative of any event. :evildenk:

24 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yes, I noticed that often. It's that pesky little law of believing that gets in the way.

uh oh - here comes the magical thinking sales pitch :confused:

2 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

So, the letters of Paul mixed with believing replace the ascended Nazarene.

More accurately, according to usage, literally, victor's interpretation of the letters of Paul replace the only begotten of God, if you believe it.

Yep!! And if anyone believes this crap I've got some ocean front property in Nevada for sale.

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

So, the letters of Paul mixed with believing replace the ascended Nazarene.

More accurately, according to usage, literally, victor's interpretation of the letters of Paul replace the only begotten of God, if you believe it.

Yup!

wierwille became the lens through which I viewed Christ…and when I was in TWI, how that worked in practice was exploring what the Bible says about Christ…only it wasn’t really exploring what the Bible says about Christ. Rather it was reading, listening, and watching what wierwille said...  about Christ? Nope!

I was trained to read, listen, and watch what wierwille said about “The Word” because – wierwille  said -  The Word takes the place of the absent Christ.”

In effect wierwille’s words take the place of the Bible – any Bible – any version, translation, ancient existing manuscripts, even lone verses scribbled on a Denny's napkin - anything -  you name it!

Actually,  wierwille’s   words   take the place of the absent Bible…shame on you wierwille-fans. :nono5:

Do you know what's one of fundamentalist's favorite tricks ? To challenge you by asking "chapter and verse" .

why is that tricky?

because it's a handy way to prooftext - you ignore context and dismiss thoughtfulness....but true confessions - it comes in handy as a countermeasure when wierwille-fans start spouting off these claims of what God or Christ can and cannot do. Chapter and verse please. :biglaugh:

~ ~ ~ ~

Have you ever played the telephone game? In other cultures, it may be called Chinese whispers.

Chinese whispers (some Commonwealth English) or telephone (American English and Canadian English) is an internationally popular children's game.  It is also called transmission chain experiments in the context of cultural evolution research and is primarily used to identify the type of information that is more easily passed on from one person to another…

…Players form a line or circle, and the first player comes up with a message and whispers it to the ear of the second person in the line. The second player repeats the message to the third player, and so on. When the last player is reached, they announce the message they heard to the entire group. The first person then compares the original message with the final version. Although the objective is to pass around the message without it becoming garbled along the way, part of the enjoyment is that, regardless, this usually ends up happening. Errors typically accumulate in the retellings, so the statement announced by the last player differs significantly from that of the first player, usually with amusing or humorous effect. Reasons for changes include anxiousness or impatience, erroneous corrections, and the difficult-to-understand mechanism of whispering.

~ ~ ~ ~

Thinking of how I got an erroneous retelling of the gospel of Jesus Christ wierwille had my ear - and unbeknownst to me he was a glory-hound incompetent plagiarist – so, I believed he was getting all this stuff from God and passing it on to me. Pseudo-Christian cult-leaders play a mean game of telephone. And the darndest thing in this telephone game – the cult-leader always calls collect.   Wah Wah…I’m here all week folks. :biglaugh:

Edited by T-Bone
can I just phone in my typos edit?
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

how

H-O-W

...just, you know, for those who don't know how (H-O-W) to spell how. This is a lesson on how (H-O-W).

And devil spirits. It's a lesson on how (H-O-W) to fetishize devil spirits. How (H-O-W) to turn away from God after taking a dump in His mouth and place all your attention on devil spirits. Victor's way. 

Hey! I didn't write the book. It worked for Victor.... oh... wait...

On 10/9/2022 at 4:48 AM, Mike said:

I rest on the words of Jesus here:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

I also like what he says about believing.

Oh Mike!  Tell us about some of the "greater works" you've done.  And I don't mean, that you read the Orange Book a hundred times.  

15 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Oh Mike!  Tell us about some of the "greater works" you've done.  And I don't mean, that you read the Orange Book a hundred times.  

First you tell me what you don't like about Jesus' statement and me quoting it, AND what you don't like about what he said about believing, and then I'll think about telling you about the success side of my life, and therefore risk you (or others) calling me a liar. 

What if I said I raised someone from the dead? 
How would you handle that?

Let's just cut to the chase, Twinky, why would you ask me that question?  To discredit me, to discredit VPW, to discredit Jesus? 

Convince me that you really want to hear what successes I have had with PFAL teaching me the Word.

How many aces up your sleeve do you have, canned raps, to reject ANYTHING I say in answering your question. 

Put another way, what kind of answer FROM ME would get you to consider the truth in the verse I quoted,  "...and greater works because I go on leave of absence to my Father." (my paraphrase)

Convince me that was a sincere question to me from a good heart and a love of the Word of God.

Edited by Mike

4 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Thanks.  I did not even notice the AD you included in that combo.
Never heard of anyone using that combo before.

The Anno Domini, I think means "Year under the watchful eye of our absent Lord.