GreaseSpot Cafe

Doug Mastriano

penworks

Anyone know him? Evidently, he joined The Way in the 1980s. He's featured in this New Yorker article.

How Election Subversion Went Mainstream in Pennsylvania https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/11/07/how-election-subversion-went-mainstream-in-pennsylvania

11 hours ago, waysider said:

I haven't read the article yet, though I plan to when I  get some time later today.

Any discussion of it would probably need to tread lightly, to avoid crashing through the thin ice that lurks menacingly above political discourse.

In high school, Mastriano joined an evangelical group called the Way. 

I read the article…I hate to say this, but I’m not surprised some TWI-followers would fit right in with the current conspiratorial baloney that’s going on. I don’t think it’s a coincidence either – religious cults can be breeding grounds for secular cults.

Remember Steven Hassan the author of    Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves     and    Combating Cult Mind Control: The #1 Best-selling Guide to Protection, Rescue, and Recovery from Destructive Cults   …He  has written another fascinating book about a cult of personality – but since politics are a no-no on Grease Spot Café I’ll leave it up to you to click on this hyperlink, that has been encrypted to protect the faint of heart >   The Cult of Orange-Hole: A Leading Cult Expert Explains How the Orange-Hole Uses Mind Control

7 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

I read the article…I hate to say this, but I’m not surprised some TWI-followers would fit right in with the current conspiratorial baloney that’s going on. I don’t think it’s a coincidence either – religious cults can be breeding grounds for secular cults.

Remember Steven Hassan the author of    Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves     and    Combating Cult Mind Control: The #1 Best-selling Guide to Protection, Rescue, and Recovery from Destructive Cults   …He  has written another fascinating book about a cult of personality – but since politics are a no-no on Grease Spot Café I’ll leave it up to you to click on this hyperlink, that has been encrypted to protect the faint of heart >   The Cult of Orange-Hole: A Leading Cult Expert Explains How the Orange-Hole Uses Mind Control

Hassan is also in several current videos, including one documenting the rise of #Untruth

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

In high school, Mastriano joined an evangelical group called the Way. 

These euphemisms are part of the problem. No one wants to call a spade a spade or a cult a cult.

Reminds me of Oldies disturbing use of sodomitic session as a sugar-coated, apologetic euphemism for child rape yesterday in the NT Canon thread.

How can someone offering up a theological defense for child focking be permitted here, but a discussion of ideological cults is forbidden?

Edited by Nathan_Jr

5 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

These euphemisms are part of the problem. No one wants to call a spade a spade or a cult a cult.

Reminds me of Oldies disturbing use of sodomitic session as a sugar-coated apologetic euphemism for child rape yesterday in the NT Canon thread.

How can someone offering up a theological defense for child focking be permitted here, but a discussion of ideological cults is forbidden?

Mainstream (such as The NewYorker) news media would be loathe to call The Way a cult. It's a matter of journalistic ethics. We who have been involved with TWI understand the cultic nature. People come here to learn about it, perhaps. But there ARE legal concerns for a corporate entity to characterize an organization as a cult prior to either the organization itself proclaiming itself as one, or having been adjudicated as such by a court of law according to a standard of law.

I didn't see Oldiesman's comment but it seems not likely to be a reasonable item for comparison to a news enterprise responsible for compliance with accepted journalistic standards.

22 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Mainstream (such as The NewYorker) news media would be loathe to call The Way a cult. It's a matter of journalistic ethics. We who have been involved with TWI understand the cultic nature. People come here to learn about it, perhaps. But there ARE legal concerns for a corporate entity to characterize an organization as a cult prior to either the organization itself proclaiming itself as one, or having been adjudicated as such by a court of law according to a standard of law.

I didn't see Oldiesman's comment but it seems not likely to be a reasonable item for comparison to a news enterprise responsible for compliance with accepted journalistic standards.

Right. I'm aware of ethical standards and practices in journalism. I didn't mean to suggest a breach of those. I'm just venting, I suppose. Are those the only two journalistic standards for calling a cult a cult: self-identification (never happens) or identification by a court? Curious.

Everyone's ears have become so brittle in recent years. Cancel culture, wokeness, etc. The eggshell's seem to be scattered everywhere. It's "sexual assault" instead of rape or "sodomitic session" instead of child rape. This linguistic dishonesty isn't helpful. It seems ani-accountability. That's really my only point. I don't mean to suggest the shrugging off of ethical standards. 

30 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Are those the only two journalistic standards for calling a cult a cult

Unless a news story or opinion column were to hedge and say something to the effect that "critics call it a cult..."

However, to get a more specific and current opinion on the matter, ask Raf.

Edited by Rocky

From the Wikipedia entry for this man:

• Mastriano himself has said that he did not grow up in a "strong Christian family", but was led to embrace religion as a teenager by an "on-fire youth pastor" after being invited to a youth group called "The Way".[20]
  • He worships at a Mennonite church, likely a Conservative Mennonite Conference church.[20][207] Mastriano has attended events of the New Apostolic Reformation, a movement advocating the restoration of the offices of so-called "prophets and apostles".[208][7]

He appears to have some rather strange current beliefs.   You're welcome to him.  He doesn't seem an outstanding "ambassador for Christ," despite being allegedly evangelical.  (Of course, that word has its own special meaning, nothing to do with true evangelism, in the USA.)

3 hours ago, Twinky said:

He appears to have some rather strange current beliefs.   You're welcome to him.

Now, that's not very nice of you. I wouldn't wish him on anyone. Clearly he does have potentially cultic religious views.