GreaseSpot Cafe

Also in the Crick wiki article is this, which shows the 3 schools of thought in Neuroscience:

Criticism

Crick's decidedly materialistic approach to explaining consciousness has many detractors both in the neuroscientific and philosophical communities. Some, such as neurologist and Nobel Laureate Gerald Edelman believe that neural Darwinism is a more satisfactory explanation for the emergence of complex intelligence in humans. Another school of thought, this one largely made up of those outside of scientific disciplines, consider consciousness to either be simply beyond the possibility of explanation or at least dependent on some qualities that are not simply physical (i.e. molecules, etc.). Lastly, those who support quantum theory of mind also disagree with how Crick simplifies the workings of the brain to only classical physics.

*/*/*/*/*

I am working with the first mentioned model, Crick and materialism.

Edited by Mike

Psst...Mike....you ignored this so I though I would post it again....

On 10/11/2022 at 10:56 AM, Mike said:

Did you know that the devil can whisper in YOUR ear, and make it sound like a good idea of your own, or a revelation from the True God?

We were taught that, and taught that often.  I wonder if you remember.

There is one collateral where VPW teaches that TEN TIMES on just a few pages.

Ok....so....where do I begin with this contradictory bullshonta....

According to VPW and TWI: God who is spirit, can only communicate with what he is - spirit, so he gave holy spirit to people so he could talk to their spirit which in turn would teach their mind (still don't understand how my spirit can do what God Almight cannot ((communicate with flesh and blood)) but I digress). The devil according to TWI cannot communicate with holy spirit because it's a private line right to God Almighty....riddle me this neuro-science boy....how in the heck can the devil who is spirit whisper in anyone's ear --- I mean if God Almighty cannot communicate with anything but spirit then how come the devil gets direct flesh and blood ear access? How does that even happen...satan more able than God?...cause that's EXACTLY what you are saying when you follow your own way brained theology.

So if God granted satan ear whispering powers then out of justice and fairness why wouldn't God grant himself the same powers so he can whisper in the other ear? You coming up with this bullshonta from looney tunes?

yeah... I know this is from the NT Canon thread....this thread is so off topic anyway it shouldnt matter if Im quoting The Peanuts.

2 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Psst...Mike....you ignored this so I though I would post it again....

Ok....so....where do I begin with this contradictory bullshonta....

According to VPW and TWI: God who is spirit, can only communicate with what he is - spirit, so he gave holy spirit to people so he could talk to their spirit which in turn would teach their mind (still don't understand how my spirit can do what God Almight cannot ((communicate with flesh and blood)) but I digress). The devil according to TWI cannot communicate with holy spirit because it's a private line right to God Almighty....riddle me this neuro-science boy....how in the heck can the devil who is spirit whisper in anyone's ear --- I mean if God Almighty cannot communicate with anything but spirit then how come the devil gets direct flesh and blood ear access? How does that even happen...satan more able than God?...cause that's EXACTLY what you are saying when you follow your own way brained theology.

So if God granted satan ear whispering powers then out of justice and fairness why wouldn't God grant himself the same powers so he can whisper in the other ear? You coming up with this bullshonta from looney tunes?

yeah... I know this is from the NT Canon thread....this thread is so off topic anyway it shouldnt matter if Im quoting The Peanuts.

It was Adam that granted the devil the rulership of this world, not God.

God has to operate behind enemy lines.  That is a big part of the answer.

In those pages I referred to it was devil, satan, and adversary that were mentioned.  A "whispering" is figurative and it could be by manipulating the environment. 

I remember someone wondering similarly here about how come satan's seed was available before God's seed.   I thought about that for a long time, and finally realized that the only thing "seedy" about satan's seed is it's permanence.  Otherwise I'd look at it as a counterfeit and not identical to seed in all ways.

Similarly for whispering. 

In WWAY it mentions that the vision the devil gave jesus of all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time was BY REVELATION.  

I don't know how all these things work, but I do track with "it is written" and get good guidance.

*/*/*/*/*

This is off topic, of course.
Have you thought about starting a thread?

On 10/11/2022 at 10:56 AM, Mike said:

Did you know that the devil can whisper in YOUR ear, and make it sound like a good idea of your own, or a revelation from the True God?

We were taught that, and taught that often.  I wonder if you remember.

There is one collateral where VPW teaches that TEN TIMES on just a few pages.

You sure know how to contradict yourself

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

In those pages I referred to it was devil, satan, and adversary that were mentioned.  A "whispering" is figurative and it could be by manipulating the environment. 

I remember someone wondering similarly here about how come satan's seed was available before God's seed.   I thought about that for a long time, and finally realized that the only thing "seedy" about satan's seed is it's permanence.  Otherwise I'd look at it as a counterfeit and not identical to seed in all ways.

In WWAY it mentions that the vision the devil gave jesus of all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time was BY REVELATION.  

I don't know how all these things work, but I do track with "it is written" and get good guidance.

*/*/*/*/*

This is off topic, of course.
Have you thought about starting a thread?

1 minute ago, OldSkool said:

I don't know how all these things work

At least here you are honest....and with this said you really should stop trying to explain things that you don't know about. You would make less of a spectacle of yourself. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Philosophy has a different kind of determinism.  It is complicated, because it is focused on humans.  I think this kind of determinism goes back to the ancient Greeks and Romans.

The kind of determinism that comes up in Neuroscience, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics is  only 400 years old max, and it is VERY simple because it starts with INANIMATE objects, like billiard balls and atoms.

Here is a most simple example of this more simple kind of physics determinism, in all its glory and simplicity:

A train leaves NYC traveling at a constant 60 miles per hour. Assuming no interruptions and interventions, how far away is the train from NYC 2 hours later?

The train’s constant speed DETERMINES what the train’s location will be at that later time.

speed = distance/time  

distance = speed x time

distance = 60 x 2 = 120 miles

When you see the "=" sign in those equations it can read this way:

The distance is determined by the train's speed multiplied by the time span. 

It’s really that simple.

I always am referring to this second, simple, physics kind of determinism when discussing minFW, because I see free will as a natural function of the brain, just like other natural functions of the human body.  Neuroscience leans on this same kind of determinism that I lean on.

Any discussion called Determinism and the Illusion of Free Will can only ever be philosophical, but this does not preclude a biological/physical/chemical understanding. We are talking about human beings. Or, some of us are.

58 minutes ago, Mike said:

so, you pivot when challenged and change your position to "whispering" being figurative and it could be by manipulating the environment. ...WHAT The Frick-A-Frack????:biglaugh:   :confused:

WHAT or WHO is manipulating the environment ? Fate?

and how do you figure satan's "seed" is permanent?

What is satan's seed? are there any samples of it around? like in one of those sperm banks?

where did you get the idea satan has been spreading his seed? :evilshades:

wow wee wow the devil is giving Jesus Christ revelation?!?! You know - this introduces a big problem - how do we know that what Jesus Christ said was true? What if some - or all of it was given to him by the devil? And further - what about all the other things stated in the Bible - what if some - or all of it was inspired by the devil?

inquiring minds want to know :evildenk:

Edited by T-Bone
revision

40 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Well, ya see, I want to use my cell phone to call my snow boots but my cell phone can only talk to other electronic devices. (You may have noticed snow boots aren't electronic devices.) So my cell phone implants a really tiny cell phone in my snow boots and that cell phone can now talk to my snow boots even though, because it's also an electronic device, it  can only talk to other electronic devices. And then.......Uhhh....something magical happens and the devil pulls a rabbit out of his hat...or puts it back in his hat...or something.

(I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those pesky kids.)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mike said:

I rest my case.

12 minutes ago, waysider said:

Well, ya see, I want to use my cell phone to call my snow boots but my cell phone can only talk to other electronic devices. (You may have noticed snow boots aren't electronic devices.) So my cell phone implants a really tiny cell phone in my snow boots and that cell phone can now talk to my snow boots even though, because it's also an electronic device, it  can only talk to other electronic devices. And then.......Uhhh....something magical happens and the devil pulls a rabbit out of his hat...or puts it back in his hat...or something.

(I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those pesky kids.)

I tried looking for a video clip of letting my feet talk - but this is all I found:

20 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

What is satan's seed? are there any samples of it around? like in one of those sperm banks?

Careful what you seek to find...Im a researcher....actual footage of the devil in concretion as a teddy bear seaching for the right seed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER6BpmtBLkk

Edited by OldSkool

1 hour ago, Mike said:

how do you know  who  the guidance is from?

Do you ever share some of this stuff with your Facebook and/ or neuroscience "colleagues"?

Do you ever get weird looks when you share this stuff?

it goes without saying - but mental health professionals would consider some of this stuff as red flags

18 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Careful what you seek to find...Im a researcher....actual footage of the devil in concretion as a teddy bear seaching for the right seed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER6BpmtBLkk

:biglaugh:    great clip !!!!!

not to worry anyone but sometimes the devil's sperm might be mistaken for hair gel

16 hours ago, Mike said:

The same way the stomach uses determinism to digest food.

When you look at anything in the human body with Chemistry and Microbiology, then determinism rules all the processes. 

sorry to rain on your parade

main-qimg-7dbe66809c8ecf2fcb960932ea15a5

46 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Any discussion called Determinism and the Illusion of Free Will can only ever be philosophical, but this does not preclude a biological/physical/chemical understanding. We are talking about human beings. Or, some of us are.

If the discussion is taking place in the laboratories of Neuroscience, it will NOT be philosophical determinism that they assume is true and use. They will assume and use the simple physics determinism when describing the activities of the brain cells.

Eventually Neuroscience, IMO, will solve these issues and be the final judge, at least from a scientific and medical point of view.

19 hours ago, Mike said:

No, they are not polar opposites.  Quantum has LIMITED certainty for some things, like momentum and position.  Other things, like energy levels and orbital shapes are very certain.

There is no such statement or attitude in Quantum anywhere near "no certainty."

Determinism and certainty are modified in Quantum, but not eliminated.

not just wrong - but screwed-up bull-Shonta wrong

The Uncertainty Principle is often the physicists first taste of quantum mechanics. The idea that the very position or momentum of an object could ever be unknown or uncertain is like catnip to a mind which has only ever known the Newtonian universe. And yet, even when taught at the undergraduate level, it is often portrayed as quantum weirdness. Maybe it was just slow uptake on my part, but the idea always seemed to just be a fundamental quantum effect, something plucked from the rear of reality and presented on a platter, its true origins unclear. But its not. The uncertainty principle isn’t quantum at all. And I think it’s time we stopped presenting it like it is.

First, a quick refresher of what we’re talking about. The uncertainty principle, in its most common form, states that there’s a fundamental relationship between our knowledge of a quantum particle’s position and momentum. The more we know about the particle’s location in space, the less we know about how its moving, and vice versa. This is a stark removal from our usual experience of the world, where the simultaneous precise knowledge of both the position and speed of, say, a car is crucial to deciding when to cross the street without an unexpected trip to the hospital.

And so, the uncertainty principle is strange. It goes against our intuition about the world around us. But while the quantum world holds many of its own mysteries, the existence of an uncertainty principle is not one of them. To show you why, I present to you the humble sound wave.

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

If the discussion is taking place in the laboratories of Neuroscience, it will NOT be philosophical determinism that they assume is true and use. They will assume and use the simple physics determinism when describing the activities of the brain cells.

Eventually Neuroscience, IMO, will solve these issues and be the final judge, at least from a scientific and medical point of view.

We aren't in a lab. It's a philosophical topic that does not preclude scientific knowledge.

Neuroscience started abandoning Click decades ago. Not all, but many neuroscientists on the cutting edge see consciousness, not matter, as fundamental. Did you watch the Donald Hoffman podcast? You'd like it. Lots of name dropping of real heavyweight, superstar mathematicians and neuroscientists. 

So what?

Exactly. I don't know, and I embrace this not knowing, which allows me to know - a paradox.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

as usual - you have no idea what you're talking about!

Neuroscience is the scientific study of the nervous system (the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nervous system), its functions and disorders. It is a multidisciplinary science that combines physiology, anatomy, molecular biology, developmental biology, cytology, psychology, physics, computer science, chemistry, medicine, statistics, and mathematical modeling to understand the fundamental and emergent properties of neurons, glia and neural circuits.

The understanding of the biological basis of learning, memory, behavior, perception, and consciousness has been described by Eric Kandel as the "epic challenge" of the biological sciences.

The scope of neuroscience has broadened over time to include different approaches used to study the nervous system at different scales. The techniques used by neuroscientists have expanded enormously, from molecular and cellular studies of individual neurons to imaging of sensory, motor and cognitive tasks in the brain.

what the hell are you selling ?!?!

29 minutes ago, Mike said:

How utterly condescinding, smug, and presumptious. You knowing anything that gets discussed in a Neuroscience Lab came about from you being the waterboy of the group. 

2 hours ago, OldSkool said:

At least here you are honest....and with this said you really should stop trying to explain things that you don't know about. You would make less of a spectacle of yourself.

Referring to Mike, of course.

This is for Mike.The ICSA, International Cultic Studies Association has issued a call for papers to be presented at its June 2023 conference:

Finally,  ICSA looks forward to meeting in person again!  

The 2023 ICSA Annual Conference in Louisville, Kentucky, will be a hybrid conference (in-person and online), co-sponsored by Info-Cult/Info-Secte. The conference will take place from June 29 - July 1, 2023, with pre-conference workshops on Wednesday, June 28, 2023. In-person and online registrants will have access to all available post-conference recordings of sessions.

To submit a proposal to the 2023 ICSA Annual Conference, please complete this form. Please do not use all caps for titles, names, or anything else because we must retype the all-cap words. Your abstract should be one paragraph. 

Because ICSA conferences are supported by registration fees only and because a large percentage of attendees are speakers, speakers must pay registration fees, a common practice in professional organizations.. 

Keep in mind that ICSA's major periodicals - International Journal of Coercion, Abuse, and Manipulation and ICSA Today - are interested in article submissions related to conference presentations.

Submission deadline for conference proposals: December 1, 2022.

Since Mike fancies himself a thinker, a thought leader, a researcher, and a quasi-academic, perhaps this conference would be THE place to present his hypothesis. Since it's apparent nobody on GSC seems to be interested in said hypothesis.

Good luck, Mike.