GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

8 hours ago, Raf said:

A. By dying just a month after he took office, he caused a historical anomaly: 3 popes in one year.

B. Two names

C. If I recall correctly, the "I" was added by him, not retroactively. 

D. Fourth shortest tenure?

Raf clears the table!   (Been practicing billiards lately?)  

A) 1605 was the last time- before JP1- that there were 3 different Popes in the same calendar year. It has to coincide with the conclaves agreeing in a few months on the next pope, and a pope dying after a short term in office.  So, one pope dies, the conclave selects the next pope quickly, who also dies, and the conclave picks his successor quickly.  So, in one calendar year, that happened with JP1 but hadn't happened for the previous 450 or so years.

B) JP1 picked two names- John and Paul, which was unique in papal history. First time ever.

C) JP1 called himself "the First" rather than simply "Pope John Paul", and that also was a first.

D) 3 previous popes had officially been poped and had died shorter into their terms than he did, but since those weren't recent, a lot of conspiracy theories popped up. 

• Like 1

So here we go. This should be easy-ish.

We got to know a particular movie character in the 1970s and 80s. He was kind of a big deal. So it might surprise you to learn that in his first movie, he had a grand total of eight minutes of screen time. In his second, 14 minutes. And in his third, another 14. This makes for a grand total of 36 minutes across three movies. But that was enough to make him kind of a big deal, culturally.

Who am I talking about?

Ok, I double checked.

It's 34 minutes. 12 in the second movie.

I'm having a hard time believing that, but you know, quality over quantity.

We have seen this character since then. In fact, we've seen him more SINCE then than we saw him then.

Since DIsney bought Lucasfilm, Darth Vader [in costume] has been on screen for a total of 40 minutes (this does not include his time as Anakin or his time prior to being fitted with the helmet). These 40 minutes include animated appearances (Clone Wars, Rebels), movies (Rogue One) and, of course, the Obi Wan Kenobi series on Disney Plus (which, if you have not seen, is awesome).

Prior to that, Lucasfilm featured 36 minutes of Vader as we know him. 34 in the original trilogy, and two at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

Edited by Raf

On 11/29/2023 at 9:19 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Jimmy Carter has lived longer after finishing his term as President than any other.  (Currently about 42 years, 10 months.)

Which President had the second-longest post-presidency lifespan?

George

U.S. presidents aren't known for a long life expectancy, current president excluded.  I don't think that its an early president then.  My guess it might be one of the last presidents to pass away.  I'll go with George Bush then, George.

Edited by Human without the bean

1 hour ago, Human without the bean said:

Yoda is a fictional character in the "Star Wars" universe, first appearing in the 1980 film "The Empire Strikes Back"

Yes, showing my age there.

Yoda was not in Star Wars: A New Hope at tall.

3 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

U.S. presidents aren't known for a long life expectancy, current president excluded.  I don't think that its an early president then.  My guess it might be one of the last presidents to pass away.  I'll go with George Bush then, George.

I'm looking for life AFTER the presidency.  Assuming the current President even lives out his term, he's not likely to go more than a few years afterwards.

George H. W. Bush was the second-oldest at death (94.5 YO), but he only survived his presidency by 25 years.  The man I'm looking for was a 20th-century President who outlived his term by 31 years.

George

7 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I'm looking for life AFTER the presidency.

Yes George, and that's perfectly clear.  Then a second guess then, lets see....well John Tyler's out then, okay how about Harry S  Truman.