GreaseSpot Cafe

Is VPW in Heaven right now?

oldiesman

Happy New Year!   I trust everyone had a wonderful Hanukkah and Christmas 2022.   I had lots of fun posting the Christmas carols.

Is VPW in heaven?    If we go by PFAL, no, he is "awaiting the return", and then is "heaven bound and all power from Hell cannot stop him from going."

IF we go by RC catechism, he's either in HELL, or PURGATORY.    The likelihood that he shot straight up to heaven, or the Beatific Vision, is HIGHLY unlikely; I'm not saying that only for VPW but all of us as this is what Catholics believe.   I learned this in the RCIA course that I took: Purgatory is the most common place after death.

Now where do I stand on this?   I prefer to believe the latter because if we go by PFAL and its wrong, we are truly screwed for eternity.    I don't want you or me or anyone to go to hell because we got that basic truth wrong.

All comments welcome.

22 minutes ago, oldiesman said:

Happy New Year!   I trust everyone had a wonderful Hanukkah and Christmas 2022.   I had lots of fun posting the Christmas carols.

Is VPW in heaven?    If we go by PFAL, no, he is "awaiting the return", and then is "heaven bound and all power from Hell cannot stop him from going."

IF we go by RC catechism, he's either in HELL, or PURGATORY.    The likelihood that he shot straight up to heaven, or the Beatific Vision, is HIGHLY unlikely; I'm not saying that only for VPW but all of us as this is what Catholics believe.   I learned this in the RCIA course that I took: Purgatory is the most common place after death.

Now where do I stand on this?   I prefer to believe the latter because if we go by PFAL and its wrong, we are truly screwed for eternity.    I don't want you or me or anyone to go to hell because we got that basic truth wrong.

All comments welcome.

These are the kinds of thoughts I went through over and over, shortly after taking the class.  I had lots of residual RC doctrine in me from 8 years of parochial school in my childhood.  Spiritual safety is worth pursuing.

There's a school of thought that says life is an eternal NOW.  Right now, Jesus is being born.  Is living and ministering.  Is being crucified.  Is being resurrected.  And Moses too is right now being born, living, dying and - whatever.  Likewise, following that line of thought, our great-great-great grandparents and our great-great-great grandchildren are being born, living, dying, and ... ?  I understand quantum physics sees time in a different way.  Jesus, Moses, your ancestors and your descendants, are all alive now (as well as being dead).  But not alive in any way we can comprehend.

Oldies, we have only one earthly life to live.  We don't get a second go (reincarnation).  I do not believe in any purgatory or post-life redemptive process (prayers for the souls of the dead, doing penance etc) except what's dross in my life will be excised, burned up, removed, so that all that remains is what I did in love.  Somehow, the positive energy of what was done in love remains.  How? Who knows? 

The best anyone can do is live life the best they can, love God the best they can, help fellow human beings the best they can, and leave everything else to God.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oldiesman said:

All comments welcome.

I personally believe that once a person is dead they are in an unconscience state, similar to a dreamless sleep. I base this not on ADAN...but why in the heck would we need the gathering together, ressurection of the just, and resurrection of the unjust if everyone is alive already? Also, why would Jesus need to be raised from the dead if he was already in heaven. Until I can get this sorted out a little better thats where my opinions are on the subject

2 hours ago, Twinky said:

Somehow, the positive energy of what was done in love remains.  How? Who knows? 

The best anyone can do is live life the best they can, love God the best they can, help fellow human beings the best they can, and leave everything else to God.

A good way to put it Twinky.

I am a firm believer in life after death, immediately, no sleeping, no line, no waiting. Resurrection of the just and unjust, each in their own time. No need to rush it or worry about it, a whole bunch of people have done it. It's such a reality that I can live life without any worry about it. What will stand up in the fire of God? I will soon find out.

6 hours ago, oldiesman said:

All comments welcome.

You mean VP is not in heaven going through beautification and canonization as a saint for the obvious worldwide miracle of PFAL that has brought multitudes to the Lord?

:jump:

6 hours ago, chockfull said:

You mean VP is not in heaven going through beautification and canonization as a saint for the obvious worldwide miracle of PFAL that has brought multitudes to the Lord?

:jump:

He might have been beautiful when he was young, but a lifetime of Kool menthols and Drambuie certainly took a toll. :wink2: