GreaseSpot Cafe

On God-Breathed Scriptures

4 hours ago, cman said:

Sooooo are you saying that the definition of God-breathed from pfal should be applied to the bible itself? Is that the thesis?

What is the definition of god-breathed?

Oh come on.

How many times do I have to go pver this?

9 hours ago, cman said:

Sooooo are you saying that the definition of God-breathed from pfal should be applied to the bible itself? Is that the thesis?

What is the definition of god-breathed?

I apologize for my initial response to this post, but I DID just comment about the number of times I addressed it.

Quickest summary: It means what YOU think it means. However you answer that question, if you include the Bible as theopneustos but exclude PFAL, why? What criteria are you using? I submit that someone else can use the same criteria to exclude the Bible as theopneustos, regardless of how YOU define that term.

PFAL's definition was easiest to refute, as both PFAL and the Bible have actual errors and contradictions that disqualify them as theopneustos by PFAL's definition..

But I contend that it doesn't matter how you define theopneustos. Once you define it, explicitly or implicitly, you face the problem of deciding what to include and what to exclude, using some explicit or implicit criteria, which I contend can be used just as easily to disqualify the Bible as it can to exclude PFAL.

VPW and pfal's lack of understanding scripture contributed to the demise of the value in scripture, whether it's from the bible or other sources.

So, perfect? Depends on how perfect is defined.

Without contradiction? Two or more contradicting statements can be true at the same time. This is one of the biggest failures in presenting scripture in twi.

Well.... what else shall be left out or included in evaluating writings as scripture. I've seen scripture in lots of places. It's a life long quest to understand and see. Why didn't Jesus just stay home and study scripture full time? He didn't, he traveled to meet the great seers of his time, in India, and other far east places including Russia.

Edited by cman

2 hours ago, cman said:

Well.... what else shall be left out or included in evaluating writings as scripture. I've seen scripture in lots of places. It's a life long quest to understand and see. Why didn't Jesus just stay home and study scripture full time? He didn't, he traveled to meet the great seers of his time, in India, and other far east places including Russia.

Where is the evidence for this claim?

On 2/17/2023 at 3:53 PM, OldSkool said:

Wierwille being full of $h!t disqualifies the Bible as God breathed?

The author was full of it... Yeah! Mark may as well have written about Narnia as Palestine, considering how well he knew the terrrain. Matthew and Luke flat out plagiarize his work and make up historical events we KNOW did not happen (the slaughter of the innocents, ripped off from Exodus) and the census that counted people based on where their ancestors lived rather than where they lived now. No census has ever done that. Ever. Along comes John and turns Jesus from the guy who said "shhh... don't out me until it's time" to the guy who said I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE AND ONE WITH THE FATHER! John has Jesus raise a man from the dead after four days, a man named Lazarus. Amazing that three other people give us an account of Jesus' ministry decades earlier and not one considers this anecdote worth mentioning. Almost like it was made up.

Speaking of which, Paul makes up stories about learning the gospel from God and not men, as though getting information from the people who actually walked with Jesus might be a disqualifying factor rather than one that lends him credibility. Of course Paul makes up his story of the last supper and the post resurrection appearances before the gospel writers make up the story of Judas' betrayal, which better explains why he has Jesus seen of "The Twelve."

Honestly, if we lived at the same time as the gospel writers and Paul, we would smell something emanating from them, and it would not be fish.

2 hours ago, Raf said:

The author was full of it... Yeah! Mark may as well have written about Narnia as Palestine, considering how well he knew the terrrain. Matthew and Luke flat out plagiarize his work and make up historical events we KNOW did not happen (the slaughter of the innocents, ripped off from Exodus) and the census that counted people based on where their ancestors lived rather than where they lived now. No census has ever done that. Ever. Along comes John and turns Jesus from the guy who said "shhh... don't out me until it's time" to the guy who said I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE AND ONE WITH THE FATHER! John has Jesus raise a man from the dead after four days, a man named Lazarus. Amazing that three other people give us an account of Jesus' ministry decades earlier and not one considers this anecdote worth mentioning. Almost like it was made up.

Speaking of which, Paul makes up stories about learning the gospel from God and not men, as though getting information from the people who actually walked with Jesus might be a disqualifying factor rather than one that lends him credibility. Of course Paul makes up his story of the last supper and the post resurrection appearances before the gospel writers make up the story of Judas' betrayal, which better explains why he has Jesus seen of "The Twelve."

Honestly, if we lived at the same time as the gospel writers and Paul, we would smell something emanating from them, and it would not be fish.

Or, conversely, if we lived at the same time as the gospel writers and Paul we very may have been their disciples.

Im not sure there is much you've posted that I havent heard before regarding scripture. I am interested in references if you have some, I try and follow all angles. My faith remains steadfast in God and his ability to have his will recorded in written form and I believe that is in the Bible. Ive never been closer to God/Christ than I am today. Peace!

19 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Or, conversely, if we lived at the same time as the gospel writers and Paul we very may have been their disciples.

Im not sure there is much you've posted that I havent heard before regarding scripture. I am interested in references if you have some, I try and follow all angles. My faith remains steadfast in God and his ability to have his will recorded in written form and I believe that is in the Bible. Ive never been closer to God/Christ than I am today. Peace!

I’ve come to understand that something doesn’t have to be factually correct for it to be true. (A paradox?)

Reading scripture with this understanding has been liberating for me. And profitable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I’ve come to understand that something doesn’t have to be factually correct for it to be true. (A paradox?)

Reading scripture with this understanding has been liberating for me. And profitable. 

Cool perspective, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1