GreaseSpot Cafe

Translation Department

Nathan_Jr

https://www.theway.org/blog/board-of-directors-addition/

The Way International Corporation has a new board member. He serves on the President's Cabinet. (I think OldSkool did this, as well..) He also "coordinates the Translations Department."

What, besides playing Pictionary, are people doing at the Translations Department? Does imaginative, creative play really require coordination?

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves

Hmm, I wonder what foreign languages Crommett speaks?  Would be useful if at least one, preferably more, if he's leading a Translations Dept.  Presumably that's part of International Outreach?  Why the new leader?  Why now?  Is there still an IO Dept?  

Crommett I know for sure is proxy director on at least one subsidiary TWI clone overseas; probably in others, too, but that doesn't mean he's really familiar with them or with how they "work" in non-US cultures.  TWI always expected that other countries would work according to the US model, but wiser heads would say that the US model is not the only model.

TWI has a lot of people in Africa and many of the countries in which they're active will speak French; some speak Spanish, and a few, Portuguese, as the main European languages.  In addition, there is work in South America (French, Spanish, Portuguese).  There are many good Bibles already available in these languages.  No PFAL-type materials, of course.  That's what Translations would be doing.  JY de Lisle used to work on French translations, Jorge ?? on Spanish, but that was decades ago.

I seriously doubt that Translations would get involved in Arabic, Chinese or Russian (to mention but a few) translations.

3 hours ago, Twinky said:

Hmm, I wonder what foreign languages Crommett speaks?  Would be useful if at least one, preferably more, if he's leading a Translations Dept.  Presumably that's part of International Outreach?  Why the new leader?  Why now?  Is there still an IO Dept?  

Crommett I know for sure is proxy director on at least one subsidiary TWI clone overseas; probably in others, too, but that doesn't mean he's really familiar with them or with how they "work" in non-US cultures.  TWI always expected that other countries would work according to the US model, but wiser heads would say that the US model is not the only model.

TWI has a lot of people in Africa and many of the countries in which they're active will speak French; some speak Spanish, and a few, Portuguese, as the main European languages.  In addition, there is work in South America (French, Spanish, Portuguese).  There are many good Bibles already available in these languages.  No PFAL-type materials, of course.  That's what Translations would be doing.  JY de Lisle used to work on French translations, Jorge ?? on Spanish, but that was decades ago.

I seriously doubt that Translations would get involved in Arabic, Chinese or Russian (to mention but a few) translations.

I thought Spanish and I thought he had worked many years in IO.  There are substantially more numbers in Africa continent and South America continent than there are in the USA.

So TWI has moved focus from recruiting hippies to Christian culture appropriation.  It is very ironic considering the scathing paper VP wrote when leaving his denomination to start TWI.  It heavily criticized his denominations overseas missionary work as Christian cultural appropriation.

I wonder if the money still stays local for the internationals like it used to.  Some of those international leaders are very rich.

Hey it’s a great strategy for the BOD to remain in power, to keep themselves above and removed, and keep the hype going.  “We have a worldwide ministry”.  They have used that excuse dragging their feet on any positive changes for two decades because it is too large a boat to turn quickly.  Meanwhile you witness major corporations many times the size of TWI completely reinventing themselves within a couple of years.

You know the only thing worse than Plaffy?  Second hand translated Plaffy.  I mean can they truly get the same level of isolation and control?  Can the victim blaming truly be set properly?  How are the students really going to grasp it’s the fear in that woman’s heart that killed her kid?

But many poorer countries have more superstitious cultures where stories spread like wildfire and there is less critical thinking.

When your cult is fading focus on 3rd world countries.

So, the Translations Department works to translate TWI propaganda, PFAL and collaterals? From a business perspective this makes since. Where else will the growth come, except from countries where following corrupt leaders and ideology is endemic?

What about correcting the hundreds of Greek and Hebrew translation errors set forth by victor paul wierwille, American quack? Who is charged with that essential task? 

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloved

19 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

So, the Translations Department works to translate TWI propaganda, PFAL and collaterals? From a business perspective this makes since. Where else will the growth come, except from countries where following corrupt leaders and ideology is endemic?

What about correcting the hundreds of Greek and Hebrew translation errors set forth by victor paul wierwille, American quack? Who is charged with that essential task? 

From a pure finance perspective this is a position arising from the demand for PLAF in 3rd world countries.

While the abundant sharing stays within the same countries locally the way the USA governing org stays relevant is by using their printing press to crank out sets of the collaterals in French and Spanish.   These can be sold to 3rd world countries.   Besides the class fees themselves the 2nd most profitable good they sell is the books they print themselves.  No aspect of that goes to publishers, editors, etc.

This new board position oversees that aspect of the business I would imagine.

6 hours ago, chockfull said:

From a pure finance perspective this is a position arising from the demand for PLAF in 3rd world countries.

What's the reason for using the incorrect abbreviation, PLAF, for the name of Wierwille's Bible class, which was Power for Abundant Living? (PFAL)

Folks who read posts here who were not in The Way find things like that (also things like "Way Corpse" instead of Way Corps) confusing and incomprehensible. Just saying...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, penworks said:

What's the reason for using the incorrect abbreviation, PLAF, for the name of Wierwille's Bible class, which was Power for Abundant Living? (PFAL)

Folks who read posts here who were not in The Way find things like that (also things like "Way Corpse" instead of Way Corps) confusing and incomprehensible. Just saying...

It is a juvenile expression of hate.

So the Translations Department is an internal code for International Business Unit?

I once worked for a global corporation with a presence in all but four countries. The structure was complex and sprawling. The range of delimited territories flowed from continent to state. There was the Europe Business Unit, the Asia Business Unit, the North America Business Unit, etc.

Is this what Translations Department really means?

On 8/5/2023 at 9:00 AM, chockfull said:

Mike you want to get away from all the hate?  Well a camera offers a great analogy.  What you focus on is what you become.  Vol 1 Chap 1 of the Blue Book - your substitution for the New Testament.

I thought you were a paradigm of living the collaterals.  I mean they are what you worship.

Are you slipping here?

I couldn't say it better than this

Edited by So_crates
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, penworks said:

Freedom of expression.  It has the same letters.  Wierwilles class was far more jumbled than that doctrinally so mixing up the code letters conveys that to me anyway.  There are plenty of jargon and pet expressions on Reddit channels like /exjw and /exmormon which have exponentially greater exposure to the public never in those cults.  There are even secret codes like PIMO and TSCC and others which you have to ask about and there is a write up somewhere.  There doesn’t seem to be any global misunderstanding going on there or confusion or incomprehensibility.  Some might find calling it the Way Corpse freeing and delivering.  Being constrained to the same language the cult uses to me doesn’t make sense.

This is a discussion forum not an anti press release center or a formal publication.  

Oh and also I do it to trigger the frequently posting Wierwille idolators so they can comment about hate and juvenile behavior.  Watching their hate spin up while calling it hate is funny.  If it doesn’t shake them out of this idolatry at least it makes it more apparent to others.

Thanks for asking.  

Now y’all can sit back and chew on some Plaffy taffy.

:biglaugh:

Edited by chockfull
  • Upvote 1

On 8/18/2023 at 10:44 PM, chockfull said:

I thought Spanish and I thought he had worked many years in IO.  There are substantially more numbers in Africa continent and South America continent than there are in the USA.

So TWI has moved focus from recruiting hippies to Christian culture appropriation.  It is very ironic considering the scathing paper VP wrote when leaving his denomination to start TWI.  It heavily criticized his denominations overseas missionary work as Christian cultural appropriation.

I wonder if the money still stays local for the internationals like it used to.  Some of those international leaders are very rich.

Hey it’s a great strategy for the BOD to remain in power, to keep themselves above and removed, and keep the hype going.  “We have a worldwide ministry”.  They have used that excuse dragging their feet on any positive changes for two decades because it is too large a boat to turn quickly.  Meanwhile you witness major corporations many times the size of TWI completely reinventing themselves within a couple of years.

You know the only thing worse than Plaffy?  Second hand translated Plaffy.  I mean can they truly get the same level of isolation and control?  Can the victim blaming truly be set properly?  How are the students really going to grasp it’s the fear in that woman’s heart that killed her kid?

But many poorer countries have more superstitious cultures where stories spread like wildfire and there is less critical thinking.

When your cult is fading focus on 3rd world countries.

Last I heard (not that long ago) Australia has a couple of Million in the bank and former (and current) members have been trying to get their grubby little hands on it. I think thats why twi dug up the David and Bonnie Weekly 'corpses' and sent them there Lol

On 8/22/2023 at 3:21 AM, Allan said:

Last I heard (not that long ago) Australia has a couple of Million in the bank and former (and current) members have been trying to get their grubby little hands on it. I think thats why twi dug up the David and Bonnie Weekly 'corpses' and sent them there Lol

Yes if your compliance knows no boundaries there’s always a job for you at TWI.  I’m sure the Weekly’s are masters of monitoring and complying like all the predecessors.

I guess if they are keeping tithes local there are two options:

1. Distribution according to need like in the Bible

2. Little leprechauns amassing their own pots of gold 

I wonder what the track record is there among the international TWI entities.  I would say evidence points to #2 with a lot of mark and avoid action for former leprechaun leaders.

What is your observation?

On 8/19/2023 at 9:32 AM, Rocky said:

They OWN American Christian Press still?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Christian_Press

One of millionaire brother Harry’s purchases was the equipment.  It gives all the ISBN numbers assigned for books published.  There is no outside publicating or verifying agent involved so unlike books who hire a publisher there is no quality control.

I bet cranking it up and putting out Spanish and French new translation material is their greatest current cash cow.  So much so it drives another BOD position opening up to oversee it.  Now I don’t know if the equipment itself is so outdated that they need to outsource printing.  They may do that.

Edited by chockfull