GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

Every generation seems to have a large percentage that feels it must rebel against the status quo and establish some sort of new identity. Then as the passage of time takes the rebels into the real world of responsibility and child raising a very high percentage of the non-conformists rebellious youth take an oath that they will never allow their children to make the mistakes they themselves have made.

Parents feel the driving need to protect their own from the evils and horrors of life and heart-break and great disappointments they know so well from being young and down right stupid for a period of their own lives. Its like we want to step into a world similar to Pleasantville, everything simple and easy, black and white; right and wrong. A perpetual state of innocense where our children never suffer any thing negative in their lives and participate only in the most positive of activities.

But then nature takes over and hormones take over what was such an innocent little body and as changes are manifested physically the mental and emotional worlds collide at full force. The constant battles begin and lines are drawn and edges are pushed. Experimentation becomes the new religion and the energies spent to seek approval of the parental units are turned to the getting attention of the peers, especially of the opposite sex.

Human nature demands there be a scape-goat, or more appropriately a Jehovah?s goat that all the sins of a generation can be laid on then sent into the desert to cover the mistakes made and place blame some where other than on the individual that gave into natural human cravings, desires and lusts.

But what should that goat be for a generation that freely participated in the sexual revolution, that dove head long into drug abuse and thought they really pioneered areas that really are as old as civilization itself. I?ve got it!!!!!!!!! We?ll blame the music

Grizzy COLOR>SIZE>

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember Bob Dylan?s song "Blowin in the Wind". How it covered such serious things like war and personal awareness of things around you.

We did not want to accept Nam and many of us clung tightly to our music as an avenue of reaction to our fear for our country.

Music was a medium of expression anyone could understand, rich and poor, high intellect and simple minded understanding.

We had a way of gaining some type of freedom during a time when freedom was being threatened as possibly being taken away from us.

Plus we could rebel along with all the other kids our age, and feel a comradely, like we had some unseen link to each other.

For me the sixties music was my first realization of how music really does tie to the social and culturally things of our country.

Bob Dylan "Blowin in the Wind"

How many roads must a man walk down

Before you call him a man?

Yes, 'n' how many seas must a white dove sail

Before she sleeps in the sand?

Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly

Before they're forever banned?

The answer, my friend, is blowin in the wind,

The answer is blowin in the wind.

How many times must a man look up

Before he can see the sky?

Yes, 'n' how many ears must one man have

Before he can hear people cry?

Yes, 'n' how many deaths will it take till he knows

That too many people have died?

How many years can a mountain exist

Before it's washed to the sea?

Yes, 'n' how many years can some people exist

Before they're allowed to be free?

Yes, 'n' how many times can a man turn his head,

Pretending he just doesn't see?

Kathy

Hi Everbody;

Linda z.yeah I think we would have a better showing at The Rock Hall rather tha Applebee's why we might be even asked to do a show there ha!ha!So let's do it will call you soon.

Many a good post here from so many of you I love to read what all are sharing.

Before we move on with the sixties music lets look at that decade of much tragedy and upheaval in our nation.The mudrer's of JFK ,RFK,Martin Luther King demenstrations for many causes good or bad.Camelot was gone and a new era was brewing within the youth of that time.It was the hippies that would shock and shape the very core of the establishment and for the first time a culture would have it's own music hair and clothing style and in protest scream We ain't gonna take it anymore.It was a time of rebelion aginst parents family,fiends church and goverment.

When the birth control pill was put on the market women and men could now have sex without fear of pregancy and make love instead of war became the slogan of the day..I recall an inicdent that happened to me in early 1968.I have lived and vistied San Francisco many times and loved to take walks in Golden Gate Park which is a lovely place.So on this day in 1968 I was strolling through the park ahen I came upon this young couple having sex on the grass in broad daylight.The man had very long hair and the girl did not look to be more than sixteen.I stood there shocked in utter amazement almost frozen in time as I watched this young couple going at it.The man turns his head and says hey man I will be through here in a minute if you would like to have her.I almost ran from the scene.it was my first oberservation of free sex and the hippie culture.

The hiipies were the dropouts from society most from middle class families but who wanted to live together in a comunne like setting,smoke pot,drop acid have lots of sex and protest against anything that moved. There were also some good works involved like feeding those hungry and helping some who were down and out.There were some great bands songs and music that showed up in the late sisxties and early seventies so many worthy ones that would take me a long time to post here.You all have your favorites and know who you liked.

In Aug of that same year 1968 I went to The Way for the very first time because I had turned on a TV show and as the announcer told of guests on that day he said we have a hippie with us who is holding forth the gospel of Jesus in San Francisco Bay Area. Thought to myself yeah right and I have some ocean front property in North Dakota too.But I did watch and this hippie dude comes on it was Steve Hefner and he said something that got my attenion and that was the curch today has the same power within that Christians had in the first century church.When the show was over I called the Tv station and talked with Steve.I asked him so where are you getting your info from he replied he was here in Ohio studying with this farmer on his farm in NK The follwing Sunday I drive over from Columbus thinking I was going to a hippie comune but when I got there it was all older people and their children Steve and Sandy were the only hips there

In the five years that followed the hippie culture flocked to NK and other areas of TWI and had a major impact on and in twi That culture was the catylist for the rise and expanison of twi which without the youth of those days twi would have remained a little country church with a few adult believers scattered here and there.

The question that I would like us to consider is Did The Culture Of The Late Sisties And Early Seventies Get Into The Way or Did The Way Get Into The Culture or a combination of both???

Thank All Of You For Reading And Reply.

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on November 30, 2002 at 19:54.]

Ted,

quote:
The question that I would like us to consider is Did The Culture Of The Late Sisties And Early Seventies Get Into The Way or Did The Way Get Into The Culture or a combination of both???

Okay, I have my popcorn and soda, gonna sit back and enjoy the heck out of this question. Before my time, only reason why I can't add my two cents worth. That and I rarely give my two cents worth around here. LMAO

Kathy

I'm sure this is going to label me as an old fart, but is anybody else bothered by the lyrics of what passes for music these days? I don't consider myself a prude by any means, but some of the stuff I've heard lately make 60s rock sound like Sunday school songs.

When I was a teenager the big controversy was whether the Stones could sing "Let's Spend the Night Together" on the Ed Sullivan show and if the words to "Louie Louie" were really obscene. Now some of the lyrics that are out there would make a sailor blush.

The Beatles sang "I want to hold your hand" and Nine Inch Nails sing "I want to f**k you like a animal."

The Who sang "See me, feel me, touch me, heal me" and Nirvana sings "Rape me, rape me my friend, rape me again."

The Stones sang "I can't get no satisfaction" and Too Short sings "I can't get no p***y and I'm mad as hell."

The Beatles sang "Why don't we do it in the road" and Snoop Doggy Dog sings "we do it doggie style. He f**ked the fleas off the bitch."

Elvis sang "I'm all shook up" and the Beastie Boys sing "I'm all about screwing."

Elvis sang "I'll have a blue Christmas without you" and the Vandals sing "It's Christmas time for my penis."

The Grateful Dead sang "What I want to know is will you come with me?" and Eminem sings "You don't wanna f**k with me, girls leave, you ain't nothin' but a slut to me. Bitch I'm a kill you."

And this classic from Dr. Dre "Bitches ain't s**t but hoes and tricks."

Now it isn't the profanity that bothers me or even the sexual references. It's the constant reference to women as bitches, sluts, hoes, c**ts, and whatever else is the current slang. I have a 14 year old son who wants to listen to this stuff and that isn't the message I want him to get. Do teenage girls listen to this stuff or is it just guys?

I don't agree with censorship of any kind, but this does worry me. Now I can control what comes into my house, but I can't control what he hears somewhere else. Should I care? Is it just music, like I told my father, and the words don't matter?

Is it just typical of the current trend in our society?

Any thoughts?

Pirate1974,

quote:
some of the stuff I've heard lately make 60s rock sound like Sunday school songs.

quote:
Now it isn't the profanity that bothers me or even the sexual references. It's the constant reference to women as bitches, sluts, hoes, c**ts, and whatever else is the current slang

quote:
I don't agree with censorship of any kind, but this does worry me.

I think I have asked a similar question in this thread. That being the lost youth of today. With this as the readily available mental image for our youth, it has to rob them of innocence.

And I agree we should not get caught up in censorship of music, even this sick stuff. But are we as parents counting the long term cost to our youth to listen to this. If we are not in the mix with them, helping them sort it out we will someday regret it more than I believe we have any idea of.

Kathy

okay now have to give up phone line

I'm John Richeson's 15 year old daughter. Most of the music I listen too is more of a punk sound. Fast paced. Not rap or heavy NIN or Tool or anything. Don't get me wrong,sometimes I'll listen too it but not too often. Alot of the stuff I listen too is considered unacceptable by adults today just as listening to The Beatles and Pink Floyd was in the 60's. But as the censores get less restraining the music starts trying to push the limits.

For most of my generation it is considered harmless and really it's just downright immature.

There is more than just the mind-numbing music out there today. It may just not be hitting the radio. Try listening to a great band called 'Saves the Day'. Or a band I'm seeing tonight 'Rufio'. Both have great catchy lyrics that teenagers seem to relate to well. I've seen both bands in concert along with many others that just aren't mainstream (on radio or tv). Some stuff even tries to bring back some of the old sound. For example, listen to a band called Belle and Sebastian. They sound a lot like Donavan from your generation in the 60's.

In summary don't worry so much about the music. Although one band you might want to stay away from is Cannibal Corpse. For some reason not being able to understand their lyrics then looking at they're titles, for instance: Raped with a knife; scares me...a lot. So go ahead and check out what your kids are listening too but don't take it too seriously.

Thanks

To one of the wonderful daughters of John and Hope,

quote:
For most of my generation it is considered harmless and really it's just downright immature. In summary don't worry so much about the music. So go ahead and check out what your kids are listening too but don't take it too seriously.

Great post! And thank you for a view from one who is living thru the age many of us were in the sixties. Trust that makes sense to you, not sure it does to me.

Your parents are very involved with you girls and your love of music, I would have to say you exemplify what can be available.

May I ask you do you know of youth that are not overseen by parents/guardians that listen to what I would call the darker words of some of today's music? And if so do you think they allow it to influence their lives moreso than someone of such a caliber as I consider you to be?

You are in the mix, you know better than I could ever know, I am an old chick just sorting thru it all.

Thanks again for your post, please, please post again.

My love to you young lady,

Kathy

I missed most of the music of the 60's. I was in a cult before TWI that eschewed rock and roll even more than religious zealots.

We were the MUSICAL SNOBS who listened to REAL music done with REAL instruments. Some say RnR is of the DEVIL!! Well, I'm here to tell ya it's much worse than that. They just play guitars which isn't a real instrument, unless, of course Les Paul or Wes "God Bless Wes" Montgomery was playing it...then it was okay. All RnR saxophone players play with split reeds and have very bad form.

When I hit Jr. Hi way back in '60 or so, I was lost in the lost world of Fabian, Elvis, Frankie Avalon and all the rest, but in Jr. Hi, I was introduced to SCREAMERS, and I saw the light!

What is a SCREAMER, you may ask.

Screamers are the ultimate form of musical entertainment. The messiah of screamers is the multi talented, super musician, role model and super hero Maynard Ferguson.

I got my first album back in '61

dream.jpg

After countless moves, life changes, Uncle Harry Days etc. I still have it along with 83 others I've managed to accumulate over the years.

When I was in High School, Maynard came and conducted a clinic for our HS lab band and perfomed "Watermelon Man" with us in concert.

As a true believer, I busted my chops thru high school and college to emulate that style, but preferred playing the tuba. To my joy, Maynard was a master tuba player as well and recorded a version of "Take the A Train" playing tuba as lead. What a guy!!

It wasn't unti '72 that it became okay to listen to rock music. That was when Maynard recorded his version of "Hey Jude" and other screamers (and Maynard protoges and fellow Stan Kenton alumni) like Bill Chase left his job as lead trumpet with Woody Hermans band and formed his band called "Chase" and released his screamin' rock album called "Chase" and Bud Brisbois recorded with several rock bands of the era.

Bill Chase and his band were killed in a tragic plane crash in '74 and Bud Brisbois took his own life in '78, but Maynard, at age 74 is still going strong and has just realeased a new CD...his 142nd album.

Click here to hear Maynards intro to his arrangement of Elton Johns "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" which Maynard has never recorded...this was taken from a live performance.

mf72.jpg

Maynard 1972

mfhorns.jpg

Maynard today with some of the instruments he plays

csa_3rdnat.gif

DEO VINDICE!!

Ron G.

[This message was edited by Ron G. on December 01, 2002 at 20:51.]

Yes Kathy I loved what Ron shared and posted Thanks Ron Maynard is a musicians musican.Great post Ron you are a man of good taste and know talent.Photos excellent.

And John and Hope's's teenage daughter was super thank you for giving insight about the current music scene I listen to some of todays stuff but you know the score listen and obseve what the industry is putting out and marketing to the youth of today.

Ted F.

He played a TUBA as a LEAD INSTRUMENT???????

I'd love to see that, just one time, just to see

it done.....

("Heavy meta1?" "Weighty brass...")

I thought "Billy & the Boingers" (aka Deathtongue)

from Bloom county were the only ones that ever

had a "tuba solo" on an album.

(The compilation book "Billy & the Boingers

Bootleg" included a record, with lyrics, to their

much-mentioned song "U Stink But I Love U",

which has a tuba solo.)

Before we move on there is one other road I would like for us to go down.And that is country music and it's roll in pop music past and present.Now I know some of you may say I hate or dislike country music .I believe there is some merit to all styles of music and worthy of giving a good look and listen I listen and perform a wide variety of songs no matter what style they may hail from a good song is a good song To do otherwise would be saying I have musicial tunnel vision.I have and will continue to travel this highway in the middle of the road as The Beat Goes On.

The very first recodings were from the country folk and was called hillbilly music and many of those artists were popular not only in rural Americs but in cities also .Jimmie Rogers sold millions of records and he is considerd by music historians to be the father of country music and white blues.

In the forties country music was heard acroos the land as folks tuned in by the masses to The Grand Old Opryi Nashville would soon become the hub of the country music industry and in the years and days to come would produce recordings that shall live on for many a year.

Ah! yes let us not forget the country fifties and the coming of age of none other than Hank Williams who wrote simple melodic somewhwt haunting three or at most five chord songs his recordings were on most every juke box in the good ole USA Some of us still sing Han'ks gospel tune I saw The Light Many a pop artist covered and recorded his songs such as Tony Bennet.Rosemarry Clooney and others.The pop artists changed the style from country to a big band setting sound, that sound was for people who did not like that hillbilly stuff but liked the songs .Also from that era came Bob Wills from Texas with his Texas Playboys Swing and on the west coast a new sound in country was born somewhat copied from Wills but just a tad different.It was called western swing a meld of country with the big band sound.Artists like Spade Cooley and Hank Thompson turned out hit after hit from sunny Ca.

As the sisxties rolled in country music was gaining ground rapidly and in that decade the styles and songs of such noteables as Jim Reeves.Eddy Arnold. Loretta Lynn George Jones and the legend of all female country legends Patsy Cline Had Patsy's Llife not been cut short by an airplane crash I believe she would have been the biggest female country music star of all time The recordings she made in the late fifties and early sisxties are stiil on the top selling album charts to this day. I meet Patsy once in Dubuque Iowa we were both staying at the same hotel and as I got on the elevator I noticed this lady standing in back of elevator she was a big boned woman ( not fat) and was fairly tall she was dresed in a simple house dress .I looked at her and by a picture I had seen I knew who she was.Now at this time she had only one hit out Walking After Nidnight and itwas on the charts with the rest of pop stuff of the day.I said hello to her as I introduced myself and told her I enjoy the record you have out,she thanked me and as the elevator door opened to my floor Patsy got off too she was staying on the same floor..We stood there for a few moments and talked about music.I noticed there was a couch there by the elevator so rather than standing talking we sat down Patsy told me about where she was from about her family and her music.She said I am thankful I have this hit out right now but I have no intentions or desire t to be in the rock and roll muisc scene of today.What was on her heart was to be a country artist and to sing easy listening more melodic country songs with a little different flair.I wished here well in her queat and hoped she sold and made millions. as we parted she thanked me for time spent. as well as I.

From experience I can tell you ladies out there if you are going to be or are a lounge vocalist You had better have a repitore of Patsy Cline songs in your bag because you are going to get asked by young and old alike .Hey honey know any Patsy like Crazy.I fall To Pieces or say how's about Sweet Dreams and if you reply I don't know those songs more than likeky you wiil hear.ah heck and I thought you were pretty good too.as out the door they go.

Country music was and is a viable part of our music culture it's many fans are life loyal to thier favorite artists as The Beat Goes On.

Okay you country dancers i'ts your turn to line dance or do the two step.

Love To You All

Ted

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 02, 2002 at 19:00.]

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 02, 2002 at 19:10.]

Ted -

"White blues"? Isn't that a contradiction in terms? sorry, bad joke.

Ted, I'm thinking that you are uniquely qualified to write a book on the roots of modern music, beginning with the year 1900.

I'm totally serious. At the very least, you dictate notes to someone who can then "pretty up" the words and turn it into a book.

Ted,

Patsy Cline, she would have left the others in the dust. Her voice, her style, her guts. She took that song "Crazy", a song meant to be sung by a man, and geezzzz what a song it ended up being.

She was fantastic. I love her music. Thanks for sharing about meeting her.

Steve,

If I lived near Ted I would be begging for the shot to help put his knowledge into a book, and I don't have a clue how to do it. But I swear I would give it everything I had.

Kathy

I remember growing up, I hated country music. That's hillbilly stuff, twangy stuff, cryin' in your beer music.

My parents grew up in the 30's/40's listening to country and playing the fiddle and mandolin and square dancing. That was the popular dance of the time. I still think square dancing is a hoot!

My mother still cannot read a note of music, but she can pretty much play most fiddle tunes on her mandolin at 75. Her first mandolin was made by a Finlander. It had 12 strings. She has a regular little jamming gig on Thursday nights. Music surely has kept her youthful that's for sure.

Anyhow, as I grew up I was exposed to many country singers, but, favoured listening to some folk, jazz, rock and roll. Various artists. Like Ted said, if it was done well, I usually enjoyed it.

In my late twenty's early thirty's I started to appreciate this country music. Especially the old standards, like Patsy Cline, Hank Williams and Wilf Carter. There is such tremendous heart in the way they sing. Many of these singers are to me balladeers.

Now in the past 10 years or so, I have enjoyed the music of Vince Gill. He is a fine musician. His music has great variety. Also, the Dixie Chicks have marketed a sound that is very twangy but upbeat and progressive.

I know I will have loads to add to this thread, but I will give it a rest for now.

'til the next time...

Steve yeah white blues is pretty far out term but Rogers appeal was to whites who in no way would listen or buy a black man's record singing the blues.And Jimmie did the blues in what was called blue yodels that gave it almost a cowboy flavor.

Steve there are some things I know and have seen but also lot less I don/t know or did not see.Boy should I ever try to write this stuff down I sure would need someone to pretty up my words or better yet interpert from hillbilly to english. ha! Thanks Steve for yor kind comments.

Kathy so if I were to hire you as editor and chief of Ferrell's Foly how much are you gonna charge me?? ha! ha! Only kidding Should I ever do anything like Steve sugessted Kathy you with your beautiful heart and love for people would be my choice.

Bluzman, we're on the same wavelength, seems! Just downloaded that song, thanks! Niiiiiiiiice. Very nice.

Oaks, it's good to hear B.B. is on it! I haven't seen him live in a while. Need to get some of that. NEEDto!

----------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

Country sure has a place, Ted. Glad you brought it up. I'm not fond of a lot of modern country stuff, although there's stuff I like.

The Everly Brothers were sure out of the country hopper, and Chet Atkins did their guitar work on their early recordings. Chet was certainly a foundational musician, guitarist, and producer in the country realm who also had a major influence on popular music. His playing - forget it. It may be done as good as the years go by, but none will do it better.

Lots of country stuff was rolled out in the early rocks years that I listened to - The Everly's, Bobby Bear, Johnny Cash, Presley, Carl Perkins. Buddy Holly was a unique blend of country and rock. Chuck Berry - totally a country and blues blend which defined a whole slice of rock. That "boom-chuck" country rhythm with an r and b back beat = rock! "Maybelline" could have been straight country, with a twist.

One of the later guitarists with a country background that I really like was the late, great Roy Buchanan, out of Ozark, Arkansas. Roy's work isn't known by a lot of people, although he started with the early 50's rock and later carved out a totally unique blend of country and blues and some strange piece of his heart and soul. Roy started young on pedal steel, and later switched to guitar. Everyone from Eric Clapton, to John Lennon, to the Stones, Jeff Beck, just nearly all the well known guitarists of the 60's and 70's checked him out. Les Paul himself has been quoted singing his praises as possibly the greatest electric guitarist of his time. He was, I believe, one of the most complete, original and personal voices of modern electric guitar. He had trouble finding the right place for his music and had personal problems that always held him back. Sadly, he died committing suicide. His music is worth checking out if you never have.

-------------------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

I was a bit young to appreciate all of the 60's but I was thinking of the huge diversity of music the 60's contained. It ranged from groups like The Association, all the way to Pink Floyd, from The Monkees to Hendrix. From Sonny & Cher to 10 Years After.

Our country and its people, especially young people I believe, went through major transformations in that decade.

I thought it was interesting that George Harrison made the first post-Beatles solo in 1970 with his 3 album set called "All Things Must Pass". It was as if he was saying that an era had passed and that we were moving on.

For me at the age of 17 in 1970 I was just getting started. I had only been to one war protest and was only in one small riot. I wanted the party of the 60's to continue but it was already on the decline.

You sure know your guitar stuff and I always enjoy your knowledge and comments Say hi to your wonderful wife for me. John lot of people that post here on gs never got to hear you play or sing I do however have a few cuts of you doing your thing and if it's ok by you for a couple of people that have asked I will make copies of what I have and send them out but first I wanted to check with you

Love You Brother

Ted

Thanks, Ted. I'll tell Janet. If you think anyone would enjoy it, it's okay by me. I've just got my cd burner up and running and should have some things to shoot your way soon. Take care. I've got a new 16 track digital deck coming this week, too! Can't wait!

P.S. I listened to "You Are What God Says You Are", from way back when. Your spoken intro to that tune is great.

---------------------

You get back in here soon as you can cause I want to hear more of what you have to share about folk and country music.Actually the two are very entwined together and bluegarss that's a horse with a another color. Sure loved old Bill Monroe.and Flatt and Scruggs who were in the sixties almost worshiped by the youn folk acts .Do any of you recall Skiffle music from England Lonie Donegan was the best well known with Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight fun fun vibes nd leave us not foget the jug bands those were usually small young folks who made music with hardly any real musical instruments they made music with such items as combs, kazoos wash boards slide whistles got bucket bass a hrmonica or two and nything else they could make any kind of sound with.any of you recall that or am I just the older guy around gs,

Prochaine when ou get your chores done check back in so we can do some serious picking together.

Ted F.