GreaseSpot Cafe

Yankee or Dixie?

Pirate1974

I'm just upset they didn't ask about cow tipping or your favorite NASCAR driver. Bob, you would've gotten those though and skewed your score even more. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Hey ex, what kinda coke are ya gonna to fix? icon_wink.gif;)--> Mountain Dew is my favorite. I jest might drop by. smile.gif:)-->

WB, you got that right! There ain't mucha nuthin' southern bout Flawreedah anymore.

Cowgirl, I'd comment on the differences, but it really isn't polite to poke fun at those who have to live above the Mason-Dixon Line.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Cowgirl, I'd comment on the differences, but it really isn't polite to poke fun at those who have to live above the Mason-Dixon Line.

Belle, that's what ah lyek about chew--ewe got a true hearta compassion!

Had me a Sundrop cola last summer, too. Ever had onea those? And a Grape Nehi, too. Whee doggie, they wuz gud!!!! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> (Ex10 knowz wat I'm talkn' about).

Oh, do y'all remember Strawberry Coke? It was bright red and turned your tongue red. I would drink those till my tummy hurt!

ex, I ate my peanuts boiled. icon_wink.gif;)-->

wb, thanks for the complement. I just hate those compliments that start with "Bless her heart...." And while I have had Sundrop Colas befoah, I would certainly choose a grape nehi oveh one ah them. icon_wink.gif;)-->

naw, cowgirl, you got it backwards. nono5.gif

Although my beloved happens to be a Yankee, through no fault of his own. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Just like my gramma said when she found out the sad news, "Well, we won't hold that against him, we just won't talk about it." icon_eek.gif

60% dixie ....... those years in Georgia were wild times. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

During the holiday times, I went to a local bakery and bought a pecan pie. When I pronounced it (pa-con).....instead of pee-can.....the guy GLARED at me and said, "You MUST be a Yankee"!!!!!

Hold on a dadgum minute, sky. "Pa-con" is the correct pronunciation of "pecan." At least in the part of Dixie I'm from. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Why it's the same thing as saying "prawleen" instead of "prayleen." smile.gif:)-->

and sisex, if I'm gonna go "fix me a coke," that means I'm gonna pour it ina glass over ice. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mstar1:

44% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

The test is seriously flawed You all, Y'all, You uns ( hell they didn't even have a reasonable choice for that category).

We have no rolypolys, pill or potato bugs, no crayfish or crawdads--we have the real things and we call em Lobstahs, which I enjoy while drinking a beah.

I also like Frappes on a summah aftahnoon or a cahbonated beverage which is called a tonic.

Hey, mstar! Have you gotten scrod lately? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

George

61% Dixie. However, I do think that the test is B.S. since I learned to talk from an Irish woman and from people that lived all over the place. Some of the words it told me were Southern I learned in the North, and some of the words it said were Northern I've heard used in the South a lot as well.

The question about the night before Halloween though, I couldn't answer due to being in TWI as a kid.

quote:
"Pa-con" is the correct pronunciation of "pecan." At least in the part of Dixie I'm from.

I hafta agree with my sistah, heah. They are "pa-con"s. Sky, you musta been in a town of imposters! icon_eek.gif Who let them D@mn Yankees take over their town?

The trees in my back yard are most definitely NOT pee-can trees. Praw-leens (about the best candy imaginable) are made with p[shwa]-cahns. (Shwa is that neutral vowel sound that's sort of like a short a, i, or u, but not really any of them.) The second syllables of "pecan" and "praline" are accented.

Y'all got that?

quote:
Originally posted by Pirate1974:

If you're interested in seeing the complete survey and an explanation of how the results were determined, it's here:

Dialect Survey

It appears we got an abridged version of the survey, fortunately!

George

Here are two for Pittsburghers:

Do you pronounce "pool," "pole," and "pull" the same?

How do you pronounce "color"?

quote:
I hafta agree with my sistah, heah. They are "pa-con"s. Sky, you musta been in a town of imposters! Who let them D@mn Yankees take over their town?

Belle & ex10.......yeah, maybe it was an imposter faction in dixieland. This Georgia baker was very adamant about it being pronounced "pee-can."

He11, what do I know.....I've moved so many times that sometimes I find myself in the state of confusion!!!!

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->