GreaseSpot Cafe

Blanking out !!

Cowgirl

Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this, today I was on a run in the woods, a trail I have done numerous times, I'm in the middle of it and my mind blanks out for about 5 seconds and I can't recognize where I am, I am like totally lost, then later as I get near the end of my run, I'm backtracking over the same trail and again my mind blanks out and I don't know where I am, I'm trying to find something recognizable to let me know I'm on the right trail, then in a matter of about 5 seconds, I know where I am again.

Then coming home in my van, on a road I am so familiar with (traveled aleast a hundred times) the same thing happens again and I have no clue where I am, I can't recognize anything, then about 5 seconds later, I know where i am.......

it's too weird! Anyone else experience that?

Cowgirl

Cowgirl: Please don't take any chances. Get to a doctor and get checked out.

quote:
What is Transient Ischemic Attack?

A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is a transient stroke that lasts only a few minutes. It occurs when the blood supply to part of the brain is briefly interrupted. TIA symptoms, which usually occur suddenly, are similar to those of stroke but do not last as long. Most symptoms of a TIA disappear within an hour, although they may persist for up to 24 hours. Symptoms can include: numbness or weakness in the face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body; confusion or difficulty in talking or understanding speech; trouble seeing in one or both eyes; and difficulty with walking, dizziness, or loss of balance and coordination.

Dittos to what Zixar said. My father-in-law is suffering from Alzheimer's and he has occassional TIAs. It's part of the progression of the disease.

I have mini-strokes from time to time, but they usually effect my vision. Have a doctor check you out. You may have high blood pressure.

Love,

Steve

This is another possibility: not sure if it's related, but it is serious...

quote:
Transient global amnesia is the term for a sudden episode of severe memory loss and confusion that generally happens for no apparent reason. The name stems from the fact that it's temporary and can affect one's entire memory process.

With transient global amnesia, one usually knows one's own identity, but can't recall recent events and information. Usually, long-term memory is preserved.

The amnesia may last for as little as 30 minutes to as long as 24 hours or more. Memory of events during the spell is permanently lost.

Cause

The condition is rare and usually occurs in middle-aged and older adults. Its cause is a mystery.

Treatment

There's no treatment and most people recover fully with no side effects. There's no evidence that transient global amnesia increases the risk for other neurologic problems, such as stroke or epilepsy.

God first

Hi Cowgirl

Yes it could be a form of a strock but there are others things it could be only a doctor can tell you after a MRI and a few other test

I have mini strocks and I have had over 20 and there are meds for strocks and other things

But you must find out what it is they say I may have a sleeping probem that makes me fall asleep walking and driving at times but since I been not working its got better I am on Social Securey Retirment at 44

Now it better to work but everytime I try I feel bad so I just help my friends when its not too hot

One thing I can tell you watch what you tell the driven l. about it because they can try to stop you from driven

All the doctor will do most of the time is make you promise not to drive it might be better to tell them it only happen in the woods and not to talk about the car

If they check a MRI it can tell them alot of things but it may take other test too like spinal tap

that all I know to say

with love Roy

I was just thinking through what I do and don't do before my runs which could be the cause of it. I don't eat or drink anything before I run except for some nuts or a piece of fruit, so my blood sugar could be real low to start with, also i'm running in 100 degrees heat, that will have an effect on it too. I'm quite healthy otherwise.......

Cowgirl

Typically, low blood sugar affects all the brain functions at once because the brain uses so much glucose to keep running. Selective interruption of brain function is not normal.

PLEASE go see a doctor. It might be nothing, or it might be the early stages of something treatable. Nip it in the bud!

I'm not trying to alarm you, but I'd much rather be wrong on this one than lose you!

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, but I totally agree with the consensus here...

Hie thee hence to a doctor, wench!

or at least call your doctor and mention it to him/her...let your doctor make the call on what to do!

Don't even finish readin this post, pick up that phone, young lady!!!!

Cowgirl-

There exist wierd connections within the brain. I was once having 'attacks' wherein I lost eye-sight for periods of 5 seconds up to 15 seconds. These 'attacks' were once a week, and then increased to everyother day.

The diagnosis?

An inner-ear infection. I was given an antibiotec and shown how to administer it myself through my sinuses to get it into my ear ducts.

My point? We just never know what causes anything, until a doctor can look us over.

Dear Cowgirl,

One more possibility -- Lyme disease.

Any other symptoms, even if they seem unrelated? Cognitive problems like forgetting names, mixing words, forgetting where you are, "brain fog," or inability to do math problems have all been documented in people with Lyme. Other systems can be affected as well -- symptoms as diverse as heart palpitations, headache, numbness/tingling, depression, low-grade fever, stomach problems, hallucinations, fatigue, and many more, may all point to Lyme disease. Some people get a few symptoms, some get a lot.

People with Lyme have been misdiagnosed with ALS, CFS, fibromyalgia, Parkinson's, schizophrenia, and autoimmune disorder. They all improved with a strong course of antibiotics.

I have Lyme, and I get the "forget where I am for a few seconds" thing. Could it be the Lyme? Could it be perimenopause? TIA (trans-ischemic attack, or mini-stroke)? Beats me. They haven't gotten worse, they are just unsettling when they happen. I have learned to just chill and let my brain get back on track on its own.

I know this all sounds like such a downer, but maybe someone will recognize themselves in our posts and seek help.

Take care,

Shaz

that is what my sister experience she forgot how to say words she knew well (they were in her mind but she was unable to say them) she had a serious of mini strokes.

yes by all means see a doctor just so you wont get to frightened and over think it if nothing eles.

It could also be rather harmless-

I used to deliver pizzas and there were many times when I would deliver the pizza and forget where I was and how to get back to the pizza shop- I would not be able to remember until I started to back out of the drive and then I knew exactly how I got there and how to get back. It freaked me out the first couple of times. I told other drivers about it and they had had the same thing happen.

I think in my case it had to do with how the memories were stored. More off of visual and motion cues than a visualized map if that makes any sense. I could not access the memory until I began to move and then it was there.

Check with the doctor obviously.

I "blanked out" once on a cross-country ski trail. Arms and legs kept moving, I stayed upright moving over the course, and after a bit, I knew where I was, and where I was going. It never happened again, though I wondered about what had happened later on.

Got back to the truck ok, and got some nourishment in me, and skied the trail again, with no further occurrance. so I never gave it a second thought.

I think Zix is right about the low blood sugar, cause I think that is what happened to me that day. Once I got something in me, I was fine.

But if this is a "happening thing' with you --- YOU have the rolodex with the Dr.'s phone number -- right?? icon_smile.gif:)-->

Hiya Tom !!!! you said:

quote:
dmiller! Nobody has a "rolodex" anymore!

If you don't use a "Rolodex", you don't work at a group home like I do.

we've got a BIG, FAT, THICK one on the office desk, with all the conservator phone numbers, all the doctors (dental, physical, psychiatric, ENT physicians, not to mention the guardians, spokespersons, social workers ------ Gawd!!! I'm getting tired just listing the titles!!!

I guess I can just say -- Yer Lucky!! icon_wink.gif;)-->