• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

quote:
Originally posted by Steve!:

I always think of the postal service when I hear the name of the replacement show.

Indeed. Does "Rural Free Delivery" just mean the same thing as "postman brings mail to your home"? (As opposed to, I imagine, going to the post office to get it.)

George

Hope all the Nostalgics are having a good weekend. Our oldest (Ellen) is going off to college this Fall and we're meeting and having dinner with her new roomate later this evening.

La de da a lazy Summer around here. Here's some EARLY TV nostalgia for you guys. Click HERE! Anyone remember Dagmar?? Kathy, can you find a pic??

sudo

quote:
Originally posted by Sudo:

Hope all the Nostalgics are having a good weekend. Our oldest (Ellen) is going off to college this Fall and we're meeting and having dinner with her new roomate later this evening.

La de da a lazy Summer around here. Here's some EARLY TV nostalgia for you guys. Click HERE! Anyone remember Dagmar?? Kathy, can you find a pic??

sudo

Sudo,

Have fun! And I hope this next post will do for ya! icon_smile.gif:)-->

Hi To All;

Will share a little of family Nostalgia that I found while surfing the net last night.

Sometimes I just type in a name to see if there is any info about that person.So last night I typed in my step fathers name Ernest Legg lo and behold three different old time country music sites were seeking info about him.

My dad played.sang and called square dancing with Clark Kessinger and his brother in the late 20's and early 30's,They recorded for Brunswick in 1928 and 1929.I had some knowledge of those days but was not aware the scope of my dads work.Neither he or my Mom shared much with me about those times.

I was somewhat amazed that my dad is well respected for his work with The Kessingers

and that some music historians were seeking info about him.I replied to two of those sites plus I found a site that has the 1928 and 1929 Brunswick recording sessions that has been remastered and put on CD and of couse I ordered for I do not have any of my dad's recordings.

This morning at breakfastI shared with my Mom (who now is 92) whatI had found and ahe was blessed beyond measure.Ernest and my mom Emma were married in 1944 and were very much in love until his passing in 1970.My Mom never remarried and to this day carries my step dad's name.

On this Father's day it was a blessing for me to find that after all these years there are some folks that know of and respect my Dad's work that even I was not aware of.

Happy Fathers Day to all you guys

God Bless

Ted F.

Hey Ted!!!!! Hope your mom is doing well. I am also pleased that you found info re. your dad. I let hubby read your post and he would like the recordings also.

He is VERY MUCH into the OLD stuff. Blues, country, whatever.

Good to see you posting again.

Thanks Act2 yeah! have not been posting much lately cause I am my Mom's constant caregiver since her stroke back in Dec.2004 but all in all she is doing super.

I do enjoy reading this thread and all who post here.Some of the things that come up I know the answer but I pass and let the rest come up with the correct response and these folks are good at it too.

Sudo and Kathy hey that picture of Dagmar was just all right.think I'm in love again ha ha ha

See You All Later Down The Line

Bless Your Hearts

Ted

PS Act2 Later on I'll post the info on where to order The Kissinger's CD with my Pop Ernest and as I looked at the cover I believe the cover photo has my Dad's picture there in the middle of The Kissenger's we shall see when I get it.Tell hubby if he wants I will make a copy and send to him

Morning Y'all!

Ted what a delight that must have been for you and even more so for Em. There's no question as to her love for Ernest. Death doesn't erase that type love does it Ted.

I've linked the album cover but its way too small to view.

Act2 how sweet of you to come join us. You're excellent at this stuff (well okay when you ask your hubby you are...heeheehee) so please come visit us more.

Having both of you here is a tremendous smile for me!

355109.jpg

Kathy thanks for posting picture I showed it to my Mom and even though it is small she said "that is my Ernest in the middle of picture"

It's amazing to me that these recordings have survived for 77 years and beyond my wildest dreams that I could find my dad's earliest recordings .It will be a joy and thrill to listen when the CD gets here.

Have a great day.

Ted, hubby would LOVE a copy of the CD. If you ever get down to the bluegrass state, he would proudly show you his music collection.

His cousin sent him a CD recently of Vernon Oxford. I said to him "WHO?"

His cousin loves to see me roll my eyes when he mentions people that I have never heard of!!

You are right, Kathy, I would have to ask hubby. heehee....

I do enjoy all the pix that you post here, Kathy. When you come down in October, you will have to show me how to do it!!!!!

Act2,

Stick around a bit. You might find this thread habit forming. Here's one that always reminds me of my days in dental school. My dad would pick me up at the school on Friday after classes and take me home for the weekend. Dental school was very demanding and highly stressful back then. We'd get home and my mom would have fried chicken or another one of my favorite meals ready. Ah! great memories..

Then we'd watch some TV and this one was one of my dad's favorites. Click HERE! It came on Friday nights but I'm not sure of the time... seems to me it was pretty early because I never stayed up late. I was exhausted!!

sudo

Thanks, Sudo. My problems are: no tv in my childhood till I was 12 yrs old due to my dad's belief that tv was of the devil, and being in twi for 19 years, I missed out on lots of music and tv watching!!!!!!!!

BTW, my sis divorced when I was 12 and brought HER tv to our house!!! Then later she took it and Dad finally bought a tv. He would only watch Billy Graham.

We would have to turn the tv off at 8:30 thereby missing out on the last 1/2 hr of any show or movie that we were watching!!!

Hubby didnt have a tv till he was grown due to his dad having the same belief.

Hubby had a transistor radio that he would listen to after going to bed. He loved Grand Ole Opry and knows most of the OLD songs from 50 plus years ago.