GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

You're right Pirate, and I make no claims for knowing much about that show. It just wasn't as funny as the other Paul Henning shows to me.

It also didn't help that the great Bea Benederet passed away during the shows run, and replaced by June Lockhart, of all people.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And just who was Betty Joe ? I never knew who was who ,which shows how much I watched it, I guess. Seems like every time I turned it on , all I saw was Uncle Joe at Sam Drucker's store, or Linda Kaye Henning with Steve, her boring husband.

I did like the cute brunette one best tho-whoever she is. Meredith Macrae seemed too mature for her role.

I did not like it when they implied that Hooterville was near where the Clampett's came from. They had a running storyline where jethro was perceived as a suave Hollywood playboy type, and he had some half baked romance with one of the girls-I don't recall which one, but I think it was the cute brunette.

The early Hillbillies episodes were great and manic, with Bea Benederet playing Cousin Pearl, before she morphed into Kate Bradley, and Max Bear in drag as Jethrine, Pearl's daughter. The Hooterville of Petticoat Junction was too normal compared to Bugtussle.

I must add tho, that the Hooterville of Green Acres was as crazy a place as one will find. Somehow it was more civilized on Petticoat Junction.

Maybe the good citizens weren't so concerned with driving the 'Jo' girls crazy, as they were with Oliver Wendell Douglas.

Now here's MY opinion..

None of those ladies ever did anything for me. The show was weak but I watched because... it was on TV. The funniest episodes involved Uncle Joe and his schemes and such. Remember the Beatles are coming the Beatles are coming?? kate says to get the window screens up. And as Hiway29 mentioned about husband Steve.. what was that character all about?? A pilot who couldn't keep a job?? Oh, but I guess he was good looking to the ladies.

Speaking of the ladies. The show was actually trying to be a little naughty with underwear (petticoats) in its name. And that opening scene that Kathy posted?? Obviously everyone knew that they were actually naked in that water tower. It just didn't work for me, though.

I've found an interesting theme song for it and I don't know WHERE this sucker came from. I don't remember it at all. Click HERE Anyone ever hear that?? For the one we all remember, click HERE

sudo

I never remember hearing that first version either, Sudo. Kind of goofy.

Check this out. I was looking for a picture of Jeannine Riley on the web to see what she looked like and I came across this. It's supposed to be a CBS publicity shot that was made before the pilot was even filmed.

image_013.gif

From right to left are Pat Woodell, Bea Benaderet, Linda Kaye Henning and...Sharon Tate.

Obviously, Sharon Tate never made it into the actual show for whatever reason. I knew she was in a few "Beverly Hillbillies" episode, but I didn't know this. Weird.

quote:
Originally posted by hiway29:

And just who was Betty Joe ? I never knew who was who ,which shows how much I watched it, I guess. Seems like every time I turned it on , all I saw was Uncle Joe at Sam Drucker's store, or Linda Kaye Henning with Steve, her boring husband.

I did like the cute brunette one best tho-whoever she is. Meredith Macrae seemed too mature for her role.

I did not like it when they implied that Hooterville was near where the Clampett's came from. They had a running storyline where jethro was perceived as a suave Hollywood playboy type, and he had some half baked romance with one of the girls-I don't recall which one, but I think it was the cute brunette.

The early Hillbillies episodes were great and manic, with Bea Benederet playing Cousin Pearl, before she morphed into Kate Bradley, and Max Bear in drag as Jethrine, Pearl's daughter. The Hooterville of Petticoat Junction was too normal compared to Bugtussle.

Billie Jo was the blonde. (Meredith McRae, et al.)

Bobbi Jo was the brunette. (Lori Saunders)

Betty Jo was the redhead. (Linda Kay Henning)

George

P.S. CK, that sure doesn't look like Lori Saunders. Whoever she is, she's cute; but I don't think it's Lori.

quote:
Originally posted by TheManOfa Thousand ScreenNames:

I believe I do, was Harrison Ford in it?

Yes he was. Did you like the movie? I did even if dark in nature. The male lead beside Harrison Ford is an interesting actor that I loved in that role. And remember the Daryl/Larry actor also?

I was going to talk about the passing of Paul Winchell, but maybe it's best to refer anyone interested to this website.

http://www.povonline.com

click on 'NEWS from me'

This is Mark Evanier's website. Mark is a longtime TV writer producer, comic book writer, and a font of information on alot of stuff that we talk about here. The paul Winchell information is a good place to start, but don't be surprised if you find yourself caught up with the other features there.