GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

He's baaaaaaack......

Hey guys, been having fun without me?? Looks like EVERYONE went on vacation but we've always done patriotic stuff on the 4th of July. So... here's a tune you guys know but may NOT know when it was first performed. Click HERE! and for the movie? Why just click HERE! and for the first one getting it correct... I'll post the one everyone remembers. Check those TV guides.. chances are it's on today.

I'd a posted earlier but just got back. I'm heading over to my sister's house right now but will be back later on. Hope you guys are pigging out on ribs and such.

sudo

FOUR OF US AT BRANSON

all4.jpg

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pitched this one in my wheelhouse, Sudo!

The Stars and Stripes Forever was written in 1896, when Sousa was returning to America from a European tour. (His manager had just died.)

Most people don't know the words to the song. (It has nothing to do with ducks.) Here they are:

Let martial note in triumph float, and liberty extend her mighty hand.

A flag appears 'mid thunderous cheers, the banner of the Western land.

The emblem of the brave and true

(Its folds protect no tyrant crew)

The red, and white, and starry blue is Freedom's shield and hope.

Let Eagle shriek from lofty peak the never-ending watchword of our land.

Let summer breeze waft through the trees the echo of the chorus grand.

Sing out for Liberty and Light,

(Sing out for Freedom and the Right)

Sing out for Union and its might

O patriotic sons.

Other nations may deem their flags the best and cheer them with fervid elation,

But the Flag of the North and South and West is the Flag of Flags

The flag of freedom's nation. (repeat)

Hurrah for the Flag of the Free!

May it wave as our standard forever.

The gem of the land and the sea,

The banner of the right.

Let despots remember the day

When our fathers with mighty endeavor

Proclaimed as they marched to the fray

That by their might and by their right it waves forever!

George

Kathy,

What's that you said?? Be back when?? Click on the pic. I think you'll like it. My kids do. They seem to get a kick out of it when they are going out and I'm singing this tune in true Fagin fashion! Hee-hee!

030407.jpg

sudo

Sudo, okay on this one we would not agree I reckon cause that plum freaked me out man...icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

In fact hubby came looking to see who was playing that music...icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Now I'll not insult those fine youngins of yours but tell me with your southern accent how do you pull that one off...icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Okay so back to the song, am I suppose to say who it is...icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Kathy,

Freaked you out? How? It's from Oliver!, you know. A 'G' rated film that my kids like. The song is about old Fagon sending his boys out pickpocketing but... wanting them to be back soon because he's concerned about them. What?? You didn't like the pickpocketing, maybe? It's a catchy tune but tastes vary so I can understand that you didn't care for it but.. freak you out? THAT I don't understand.

Sure you'll let me know, though icon_confused.gif:confused:-->.

sudo

hahahahaha

Sorry but I had to laugh upon reading your dilemma of what the heck is she saying. You see I've never been told that before. Yeah right! icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Oliver is a wonderful production. I just don't care for something about that song. My ears started hollering at me is all I can say to ya.

And really, I don't mean to make fun but you certainly cracked me up with your reply which I'm sure was unintended. icon_smile.gif:)-->

hahahahaha

Kathy,

Hey.. nothing to make up, my dear. I'm just wondering what its going to take to get Wasway and Rick posting again icon_confused.gif:confused:-->. I've got an oldie that might get Rick to post. I have it on good authority he checks this thread nearly every day yet he doesn't post icon_frown.gif:(-->. So I have an oldie song he may remember.

Click HERE! and name the artist. Lots of artists recorded this song and I remember it well from my college days. Rick is an R&B fan so THIS tune may get him posting again!!! Don't know what its going to take for Wasway.

sudo

Everybody's been so well behaved that...

Well, you all get a treat for the weekend. Just click HERE! It's the good stuff.. 320 bit rate MP3. I KNOW there are those who lurk here but never post and they may have a slow dial-up account. Too bad! They have to post to get me to link to a tune they can hear icon_razz.gif:P-->.

Summertime can be slow. And the living easy. Hmmm.. reminds me of a tune but nevermind.. The SudoFamily will be in the Washington, DC area this coming weekend. I was hoping someone would take up the slack in my absences icon_frown.gif:(-->.

sudo

Hey Sudo... I hear you all are going to get some more straight line winds. Hope all is well. So glad that a Mr. Oi now owns our house.

Anyway, hubby says that this singer went to prison for statutory rape. Is he correct?

Sudo, as best I can I will try and keep our thread going in your absence. Rick will help also icon_razz.gif:P--> so don't you worry about a thing. I mean how much harm can I possibly do? icon_razz.gif:P-->

Act2, my sweet friend how nice to see you here. Before we know it the fall will be upon us and I'll be headed your way. I hope my car will carry all these hats and purses. wink2.gif;)-->

And since we all know who the artist is chuck.jpg Johnny B Good!