The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Itchy" MAY be patterned after Lon Chaney Jr's, 'Lenny', from 'Of Mice and Men'-but I'm not sure, as characters based on 'Lenny' in cartoons are usually dumber and slower.

When did 'high tea' become such a fad ? I never heard of it until a few years ago, now it seems every woman I know attends them. Is it a 'coffee clatch', with nicer pastries?

George,

I had forgotten! But yes...little Tooter... and "time for this one to come home". I remember it now that you've mentioned it. I spent *SO* much time in front of the TV. The thing about Odio Cologne was that I didn't know he was doing a Ronald Colman because... as a little kid, I had no idea who Ronald Colman was. Even after becoming familiar with his movies, I didn't put the two together until... you guessed it.. I was watching some Rocky and Bullwinkle (yeah, that was where Leonardo Lion was featured) as an adult. Well, sure.. there was Edward G as Biggie and Ronald Colman as Odio.

But the whole Rocky and Bullwinkle thing was such a hoot. I remember it as being a bit odd as a child and with good reason... most of the gags were going over my head. But as a grownup I would howl at some of the gags and double entendres. I loved the whole cold war stuff with Boris and Natasha and Fearless Leader. Hee-hee! I can't even type Fearless Leader now without laughing. My staff is probably wondering what I'm doing here in my office right now icon_biggrin.gif:D-->.

sudo

P.S. Don't get your hopes up Highway29... "biscuits" at a high tea aren't the good kind served with gravy. They are really just tasteless cookies mad.gif

Rocky and Bullwinkle could appeal to kids with its goofiness and adults with its double-entendres and satire. I mean, "Boris Badenov" was funny enough until I found out that a czar of Russia (the successor of Ivan the Terible) was Boris Gudonov!

And let's not forget Capt. Wrong-way Peachfuzz!

George

I should clear up something that is often misunderstood-for those who even care.

Leonardo Lion had nothing to do with Rocky and Bullwinkle-though the art style on both shows have similarities.

There have been some syndication packages that have included Leonardo cartoons with Bullwinkle,and shown in the same half hour, which has led to the belief that they were produced by the same studio.

As much as I like the leonardo cartoons, and I do, they are not nearly as well written, or 'adult', as the world of 'Rocky and Bullwinkle. The Jay Ward studio produced 'Bullwinkle, (and Dudley Do Right, Fractured fairy Tales, Mr Peabody, etc), while another studio , that I can only recall as 'Total television', made Leonardo, Tooter Turtle, The Hunterand the Fox.

It's a common misconception, but if one can't be anal retentive in here, where can one be?

Jay Ward also produced Super Chicken and Tom Slick.

'Total Television', also made Tennessee Tuxedo.

Highway,

You seem to know your 'cartoons'! As you should!

I have a question for you regarding 'old cartoons'.

My brother told me one time that Harveytoons, the producer of Casper the Ghost, Wendy the Witch and such cartoons was a deep believer in the occult. Therefore, he put these cartoons out to the young children in order to expose them to spiritualism at a young age.

Of course, I was involved in a cult at the time he told me this...and swallowed it 'hook', 'line' and 'sinker'. confused.gif

Love to hear your input on this.

Thanks

Ala- well-no, Casper was not a tool of the spiritualists, unless the producers had religious beliefs that I'm not aware of.

Casper was originally made as a one shot cartoon in the 40's by 'Famous Studios", which was in itself the successor tp Fleischer, which made Poeye,and Betty Boop.

Joe Oriolo, (sic) had an idea for a cute cartoon about a ghost who just wants to make friends, but of course scares everyone unntentionally. When it proved to be somehow popular, a series of Casper cartoons, all on the same theme, were made.

'Harveytoons' was an outgrowth of 'Famous Studios in the late 50's. There was a line of comic books featuring casper( as well as Little Dot, Little Audrey, Sad Sack, and Richie Rich). In order to make the books more interesting, they put Casper in an Enchanted Forest, with new characters such as Wendy, Spooky, The Ghostly Trio, and others. In my opinion there was a charm and innocence to these comic books, that made them ideal for young children. At least I read them when I was 7 years old, and knew it was all make believe.

When they decided to make new Casper cartoons for TV, they borrowed heavily from the comic books, and introduced Wendy and the others to TV.

Unless one just can't accept the concept-there is nothing whatsoever about these cartoons that would lead anyone into spiritualism. Most people in the animation field are too busy churning out work, and trying to last another day, to be so thought out.

When i was in the cult, EVERYTHING was suspect, so it doesn't surprise me that your brother would have heard that, just because there was a ghost and witch .

If anything, those cartoons were SO cute, it would have driven kids to more entertaining fare like the above mentioned Rocky and Bullwinkle-at least that's the affect they had on me.

quote:
Originally posted by hiway29:

I should clear up something that is often misunderstood-for those who even care.

Leonardo Lion had nothing to do with Rocky and Bullwinkle-though the art style on both shows have similarities.

There have been some syndication packages that have included Leonardo cartoons with Bullwinkle,and shown in the same half hour, which has led to the belief that they were produced by the same studio.

As much as I like the leonardo cartoons, and I do, they are not nearly as well written, or 'adult', as the world of 'Rocky and Bullwinkle. The Jay Ward studio produced 'Bullwinkle, (and Dudley Do Right, Fractured fairy Tales, Mr Peabody, etc), while another studio , that I can only recall as 'Total television', made Leonardo, Tooter Turtle, The Hunterand the Fox.

It's a common misconception, but if one can't be anal retentive in here, where can one be?

Jay Ward also produced Super Chicken and Tom Slick.

'Total Television', also made Tennessee Tuxedo.

At least in the Chicago area where I grew up, the Rocky and Bullwinkle show began and ended with (5 min.?) R&B clips, with a Peabody and Sherman and either a Fractured Fairy Tales or an Aesop's Fables, along with assorted commercial intros. ("A message in a bottle!" "Fanmail from some flounder?" "NO! Areally IMPORTANT message!" Cut to commercial.)

I don't remember where I saw Tooter Turtle, though it might have been coupled with Tennessee Tuxedo or ... Magilla Gorilla?

George

Tooter Turtle was part of 'King Leonardo and His Friends', as was the Hunter.

"Rocky and His Friends", later 'Bullwinkle", featured the cartoons just mentioned by George.

It was some oddball distribution package, that mixed the Rocky and leonardo cartoons in some market.

I'm with you, George, concerning the Fleischer Superman cartoons- a whole other topic.

Cartoon geeks never learned how to use forks and knives. They only eat McDonalds by hand, or Count Chocula by spoon.

quote:
Originally posted by hiway29:Cartoon geeks never learned how to use forks and knives. They only eat McDonalds by hand, or Count Chocula by spoon.

Sounds like one of my uncouth children. Can't take her anywhere. If you take her to a nice restaurant, she'll still eat with her fingers. Guess there must be some hillbilly on the other side of the family. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Hiway29,

You're great, man. A veritable fount and all that so keep up informing us. So Leonardo wasn't in the original Rocky and Bullwinkle, eh? Well, I'll tell you something else in addition to the ones George mentioned that WAS in the originals... and here's the theme.. Click HERE! So for all you folks who don't see yourselves as really good at this.. I bet ya'll might know this one!

sudo

Goodness gracious if you wanted to know anything about the varied world of cartoons I guess we certainly know who to go to. Hiway what cool information. Thank you!!!

We went from eating pastries with a knife and fork so beautifully taught us by our Moon Girl. Which Hiway is convinced is a 'woman thing' to Sudo educating him about not getting his hopes up as the delicacies to be served will have no gravy. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

And then Sudo and the Saint had a good ole chat. And Sudo the link didn't work, but don't change it, I'm sure it'll work for me after I give it a good talking to. banghead.gifwink2.gif;)-->

And Ala you must just try and entertain because you did it again. So let me show you something before I crack up too much more.

quote:
Originally posted by A la prochaine:

redface.gif:o-->

That's my usual MO...I rattle on... people pay no mind! icon_frown.gif:(-->

(I feel a pity-party coming on! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->)

Then I posted a picture of a few attendees to your pity party.

Then you post this:

quote:
Originally posted by A la prochaine:

chatty,

those ladies all look so sad and glum. icon_frown.gif:(-->

perhaps they are discussing their years in TWI? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Um, they were attending your pity party. They look that way for a reason. You do this on purpose don't you? icon_biggrin.gif:D--> You are so freaking funny Ala, and I've had the joy of seeing it in private but you're showing them your good humor now. Even if I swear you have to be blonde. icon_razz.gif:P-->

And Moon Girl how far do I have to drive for this tea? Except I don't like tea and I'm not much into pastries so how about bagels and cream cheese and strong coffee instead. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Glad you enjoy my sense of humour Kathy... icon_smile.gif:)--> But I think it's my 'not getting it' that you find most amusing...that 'pity party' flew right over my head! icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Highway,

When you were all discussing Rocky and Bullwinkle and other cartoons...it got me thinking how I did NOT enjoy those cartoons when I was kid.

I always felt that they were done so ship shoddily...and I can remember as a kid thinking how poorly the artwork was in them.

Now, perhaps my mistake was that I was comparing them to my all time favourites 'The Bugs Bunny Show'.

For me...those were the ultimate. Even as an adult today, I can easily sit and watch a good episode of Bug's Bunny, Daffy Duck..and that Foghorn Leghorn, he's absolutely to die for funny!!!

Thems my two cents...(canadian that is icon_razz.gif:P-->)

quote:
Originally posted by Sudo:

Hiway29,

You're great, man. A veritable fount and all that so keep up informing us. So Leonardo wasn't in the original Rocky and Bullwinkle, eh? Well, I'll tell you something else in addition to the ones George mentioned that WAS in the originals... and here's the theme.. Click HERE! So for all you folks who don't see yourselves as really good at this.. I bet ya'll might know this one!

sudo

A fine cartoon, for sure. (I had a Latin teacher in high school that sounded just like him.) I thought the movie adaptation was too serious, but Brendan Fraser was ideally cast.

George

ala-You certainly have good taste in liking the great Warner Bros cartoons. At their best ,possibly the best ever for laughs and craftmanship.

Noone ever claimed that Rocky and Bullwinkle featured beautiful art. (Though I have to say that I find the simple, graphic designs really interesting and have learned alot by them)

What 'Bullwinkle' especially had was great writing, and top notch voice actors. They appealed to children, even while making their parents chuckle over jokes that went over the kid's heads.