GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Speaking of blues, my FAVORITE blues album of all time is "Nighthawks At The Diner" by Tom Waits. This is especially significant since it's a live album.

The problem I have with most live albums is, the audience generally doesn't know when to shut the hell up. There are only two other live albums I can stand to listen to. Chuck Mangione: Live At The Hollywood Bowl, and Jackson Browne's Running On Empty.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ala I liked him maybe that's because my tastes in styles of music are so varied.

This nostalalga thread reminds me of a good friend. He has a large collection of old records LP's 45's and 78's plus cass.and Cd's . Every time I've been to his house he has this little game he plays.He will put on some recordings and play about 4 bars then turn to you and ask who is that? And you get no clues. If you don't know and ask who is it you get ignored. Then he puts on the next recording and after 10 seconds of listening he asks again who is that? This can go on for hours.

And another thing, he will get some new recording's and say hey Ted man I got something you just have to hear. Well I am all primed to listen but once again he will play a short segemen of each track and than ask know aint that great or what? In all the years I have known him he has never played anything all the way through for anyone. We all kid him about it and call him Who Is That Bob.

Maybe someone here knows who I'm talking about..

All I'm going to add are his intials B. L.

WHO IS THAT hahaha

I sure do love this old friend.

A few years earlier Bonnie had taken to touring with "Mississippi" Fred McDowall, another semi-forgotten blues man that she put back in the limelight. Likewise with Ruth Brown.

Pretty neat thing to do, methinks...

'Course I like her playing too. Especially her bottleneck slide stuff...

"Your sweet and shiny eyes

Are like the stars above Laredo

Like meat and potatoes

To me

In my sweet dreams we are

In a bar

And it's my birthday

Drinking salty marguaritas with Fernando

Young and wild

We drove 900 miles of Texas highway

To the Mexican border

As the day was comin' on

We crossed the Rio Grande River

And we swore we'd have things our way

When we happened to walk in to Nuevo Leon

Your sweet and shiny eyes

Are like the stars above Laredo

Like meat and potatoes

To me

In my sweet dreams we are

In a bar

And it's my birthday

And we're having our picture taken

With Fernando"

Bonnie Raitt "Home Plate" 1975

quote:
Originally posted by moony3424:

Kathy

I saw BB around 1970(?) in Miami Beach. It is such an awesome experience to see him perform. Something that you never forget.

My favorite song possibly in the whole wide world is "Marry You" by BB King and Eric Clapton. Heaven on earth with a slice of lime it is.

I would love to have seen him in concert.

I failed to locate it but several years ago I read a one page article in People about Bonnie Raitt. And as small as that article was it included her then husband (my failed name search) who it stated had taken a class with this cult called twi. (LCM knew about it)

As Sudo goes there goes the thread banghead.gif .

icon_smile.gif:)-->

PS...Rick has almost stopped singing that awful song, almost that is! Which scares me cause that means there's something next. icon_eek.gif

That's OK Chatty! No be worried.

If it's not your thing...i'm cool with that. Not all music is MY thing either.

A good friend of mine who is this complete music junkie...I mean, in his leisure time, he gets books on 'The Complete Works of Jazz or Rock N' Roll' and makes lists of albums he should purchase in the future.

His library is immense and he religiously reads Rolling Stones Magazine. He is in the know, I would say.

Anyhow, each time we talk, I am always introduced to something different and most interesting. He is responsible for introducing me to great musicians such as Alison Krauss...this is going back some time now, The Jayhawks, The Be Good Tanyas (which is my recent love)and many more.

I too have had the privilege of introducing him to a few myself...which I find an honour considering he is the MUSIC MEISTER. Eva Cassidy was one. He had heard of her...but never heard her sing. Oh, and Mary Lou Williams icon_biggrin.gif:D--> .

Ted,

Cool game...but I couldn't tell you who Bob L. is. icon_confused.gif:confused:--> Sounds like a pretty neat dude though.

Chatty,

Was Bonnie's husband you speak of John Hiatt?? or is she still married to him?

Ala,

Hmmm.. I seemed to have ticked both you and George off by my remark. My wife tells me I do that sort of thing all the time... go insulting peoples' intelligence or saying dead honest but insensitive things. Its a fault of mine and I apologize.

In this case it does matter, though Ala because of what you told me two pages back... that you liked the thread but couldn't play the links. Now George knew the workaround and could hear (or see) the links but what about those who aren't that sharp? THOSE are the folks I was really talking about.

If someone really WANTS the QuickTime player to be their default player then that's fine. My real beef is with QuickTime and other software companies like them. You see, when you go to install their programs, they'll try to get you to use THEIR player for EVERYTHING... not just MOV files which is ALL you need their player for. So what do they do? They'll usually give you choices like 1) Typical installation (recommended) or 2) Custom installation (for experts). So what does the average person do when confronted with these two choices? They choose door number one of course and that allows them to reset all your file associations to the QuickTime player (or whatever program you're loading) when it is really not that good a player.

I'll tell you another company that does the same dang thing.. RealPlayer. So I get really upset with the companies not the users. Next time you install a program, Ala.. always choose the 'custom' installation even if you don't consider yourself an expert. Most of the time they're lying.. You DON'T have to be an expert to do the custom installation.

So.. you're evidently able to hear my clips now, right? How are you doing it? Like George?? You can always go to file types and change the MP3, WAV, MPG, MPEG etc. back to Mplayer2 but that can get difficult if you've never done it before. Geeze... not trying to insult your intelligence again.. really.

sudo (an insensitive clod)

Sudo,

You have made me chuckle here icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Thank you for your very honest and loving post. I enjoyed it immensely...this was worth it, just to get to you know you better!!

I have a husband too ... and he sometimes can be as your wife described you...how cute!!!

So, when you initially wrote what you wrote about the player thing...I really didn't give it much mind. But, when George piped in...I thought I'd put in my wee little 2 pee cents worth. Don't be worried...I wasn't offended.

Yes, I am a very 'un-educated' pc user. Like I tell my hubby who works in the industry, "I don't care about all the details...just get it to work so I can read on GS and chat with my friends icon_biggrin.gif:D-->"

So, yes I have been using George's method. But my problem was not with Real Player or Quick Time (which I believe I have both installed on my pc), but I recently switched over to itunes for all my media player uses. It just seems that itunes doesn't pick up links. I have to always back to media player to do so.

Well...I will certainly take your advice into consideration and get my husband to look at this problem.

And, I must admit icon_frown.gif:(--> that I am in no way good at this 'name that tune' thingy. I'm useless. All these shows/jingles seem to predate me ...cause I'm so youthful you know redface.gif:o-->

ok...enough blither for one morning... back to laundry and such fun domestic chores.

Happy drilling Sudo!!!

ITunes!! Slowly I turn, step by step, inch by inch... mad.gif

But first a digression. I wa not offended by Sudo's remark. I imagine that most of you recognized one of Steve Martin's signature lines. And, yes, every time you install a new media player, it tries to seize control of the system. Annoying.

But NOT as annoying as ITunes. My wife got it from her kids for her birthday. Not only has it dominated her settings, but it keeps butting in on ME when I'm using the computer! If one of you more "internet savvy" people can tell me how I can uninstall it from my settings (we have Windows XP) without upsetting my wife's stuff, I'd be very happy.

George

George,

Sorry.. I'm not much help here because 1)I'm not about to load itunes and 2)I've always set my computers for one person. I've gone over to peoples' houses to try to help them out when this sort of thing was going on between different users of the same computer and never could figure it out. Sorry.

BTW... I never posted that clip because we got side tracked. Give it time to load.. just a minute or two really. Click HERE! So... is it how you guys remembered it?? icon_smile.gif:)-->

sudo

Sudo,

You have outdone yourself. BRAVO!

I'm so glad you learned all that, yup I know and I will. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

And get this, you know what that brat did? Well he stopped singing that bird song and immediately started singing Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting. I swear I think I liked that dang bird song better. Can you make him stop Sudo? confused.gif

Ala,

Let me see if I can find something on that guy and maybe I'll know if the husband I was talking about.

OK...

I know of the movie Mighty Joe Young - The Disney version...I believe we own it ... the kids have it in their movie collection.

But, I have to admit ... I NEVER KNEW IT WAS A REMAKE icon_eek.gif

I have to say ... YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY!!

OK...I'm into this nostalgia thingy now. You sold me Sudo! icon_smile.gif:)-->

OK...alltime favourite OLD movie...

1) produced in 1942

2) Greer Garson was in the movie

3) The lead male role was called 'Smitty' in the movie.

That's all I'll give for now.

PS...I think this movie would make an excellent remake.

Bonne Chance icon_razz.gif:P-->

Edited by baboo

That's an interesting choice ala. I'm now curious to see it again, as I only caught part of it one late night on tv.

I have to admit that I've had a problem taking the lead actor seriously, because I first associated him with the dead on impersonation that Don Adams would sometimes do of him on 'Get Smart'. Not quite fair I admit.

I don't like remakes. There was no need for a Mighty Joe Young remake, and I'm dreading the new King Kong this fall. It won't be the disaster that the 1976 remake was. The art direction, effects, even the actors and story will all be excellent, but imo there is no 'remaking' the 1933 Kong, which is a timeless work of wonder.