GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

I don't know about wasway cause I haven't talked to him lately. But Rick has a client he's been busy with I know and he isn't taking very long breaks from it so I think that may be related. He only calls me and sings that dang song then says he has to go now. confused.gif

Please give them till tomorrow if you would Sudo. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I know you put so much into this place and I for one certainly do appreciate having it to come to.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kathy,

The Trashmen...hmmmm...they sure do have interesting songs on that albums of theirs...

MY Woodie angelkit.gif

KUK (what does that mean?)

BIRDBATH (Now there's a subject for a song if I've ever seen one!) icon_razz.gif:P-->

TUBE CITY (and they say there weren't drugs in them days! ha!! nono5.gif I don't think so!)

Thought I'd just pop in to add some irritation to this place icon_razz.gif:P-->

quote:
Originally posted by A la prochaine:

Chatty,

I must say...that would certainly be a car I would love to own...wowza...now that is cool looking!!

I love it!

Yep. "Woodies" were quite popular in the early '60's. They were oldies even then. Jan and Dean (in "Surf City") sing about their '38 wagon and they call it a Woody, it's not very cherry, it's an oldie but a goodie!

George

(I expect a clip from Sudo any minute now!)

Morning Shell and SaintGeorge,

Is it a work day? icon_frown.gif:(-->

Long weekends are spoilers.

Ain't it a beauty.

And yeah, I was thinking the same thing about Sudo posting a clip of it. But that one he may lose me on cause I hate that dang song. (did I mention you never ever want to tell Rick a song you hate)

And Shell did you and Ala play in chat last night?

Hmmm, I may be in error here, I bet SaintGeorge meant the Jan and Dean song. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Hello all,

Well, I'm here by request. A few days ago I started talking about a certain female jazz pianist called Mary Lou Williams to Ted Ferrell in an email.

Anyhow, he suggested that I post something here about her.

So if this is boring and trivial...blame Ted! icon_razz.gif:P-->

Well, all I can tell you about her is what I've been told by my husband. He is in LOVE love3.gifconfused.giflove3.gif with Mary Lou.

My husband studied classical music in his younger days ~ major ~ trombone ~ minor ~ voice.

He always had a great appreciation for Jazz and moreso in his later years.

He also plays piano, guitar and the accordian (as a child).

Therefore, the keyboard was his first introduction to music and has always stuck with him. He's loves the 'chops' as they say in the business.

Some of his loves are:

Oscar Peterson

Bill Evans

Diana Krall

and of late

Mary Lou Williams

A very dear friend of ours had been listening to a public broadcasting program where Diana Krall was being interviewed. When asked who were some of her greatest musical influences, she said 2 names...and one of them being Mary Lou Williams.

So our friend went out and bought a Mary Lou Williams CD for my husband and he (my hubby) has not looked back since.

He says to me that Mary Lou had the most incredible left hand ever. Her knowledge of chords and chord progressions is unfathomable.

On this CD, which is an interview done in 1978 with Marian McPartland, (who is the 'Grande Dame' of piano jazz and is now 87 and still has her own radio show), Mary Lou plays and talks and tells of her life.

She played in the 20's, 30's and 40's, 50's era of jazz music. She was playing with the Duke (Ellington) at the young age of 12 and sat in for the Duke at the age of 16 when he was ill.

Mary Lou played with all the greats and did most if not all of the arranging for these bands when she played with them.

She later on taught Jazz at Duke University and passed away in 1981. She is a woman whom I believe, very few will be able to compete with.

She seemed to be obscure in the jazz world never hearing of her before. I don't even believe she was mentioned in the Ken Burn Jazz Documentary (but I may have missed it). I believe that her obscurity may be due to the fact that she was a woman, black woman. In the 20's, 30's and 40's...no one played like her and especially a woman!

I know there are tons of websites about her. All of her music, scores, arrangements, correspondences are all in the Smithsonian now and jazz archivists are learning more about the jazz world now than ever before because of her well organized, catagorized records.

Thank you Mary Lou for sharing your life and talents with this world.

That's it!

Sudo,

I must say...you started a wonderful thread here. I also must say that everytime I click on one of your links.. they don't work for me. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong not you. But, I wanted to tell you this because, if I seem out of touch with what is being discussed around here sometimes... it's because I have no clue what you have been listening to.

Also, this youngin' here is just too wink2.gif;)--> young to remember any of that the stuff everyone posts around here! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Thank you again!

Ala,

What media player(s) do you have on your computer? I find that just clicking on Sudo's links doesn't work for me, either. I right-click the link, then click "Copy Shortcut." Then I open Quicktime (though this would probably work, with minor variations, with other media players). I click "Open URL..." and paste the shortcut into the dialog box. It loads, and I can play it that way. Give it a try.

George

A La Thanks for sharing about Mary Lou,

Not that I'd forgot about her but when you brought up her name it sure rang a bell. Shoot I was not even aware she was dead. (I was sorta out of the loop in 1981) Her music and recordings wiil forever be in the pages of jazz history. Happy your hubby found out about her.

A la There is another female jazz pianist that many folks are not aware of. Her name was Dortohy Donegan a two fisted boogie woogie and jazz player that had a powreful left hand. When she hit those ivories the dang piano almost caught on fire. She was a fovorite performer at The Theartrical Grill in Cleveland Oh.and many a night you could find me at the bar( The stage was above the bar) digging her rockin'piano.

Rock and roll is only an extension of 40's boogie woogie and rhythm and blues ( in those years it was called race music).There was a cat from that era named Louis Jordan and if you should listen to his music you will hear what I mean.

Edited by TedFerrell

George,

You and Ala got sucked in to changing file associations when you installed the QuickTime player. Geeze.. I'm really sorry and wish people were more internet saavy. I don't even have QuickTime loaded on my computers. But that's just me. If you and Ala had MP3 and WAV files configured to open with Microsoft Media Player.. you wouldn't have to go through the gymnastics you're doing now.

sudo

Ala, I didn't find it boring or trivial at all. And I do intend to listen to her music!!

Ted, I'll keep an eye out for Louis Jordan. And speaking of rhythm and blues that reminds me of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Remember those movies of footage of that era and the performers, some porch performers. That was great listening even if the crackling was as loud as the guitars.

Sudo, I'm spoiled to Media Player but no longer use MS for my browser, it was making me crazy. banghead.gif

icon_smile.gif:)-->

Yeah Kathy Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame is a blast and as you well know you could spend a week in there and not digest all the sights and sounds.

Meant to tell ya Oakwwod Studio has a new and better CD Copy machine.It's a hardwwre stand alone Alesis and this baby is great.A lot faster than using the computer for CD copy plus it gives clean copies each time.